Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Will a properly set up flying wing turn faster than a conv. with a tail?

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Will a properly set up flying wing turn faster than a conv. with a tail?

Old 10-08-2009, 03:26 PM
rsieminski

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Will a properly set up flying wing turn faster than a conv. with a tail?

Which is more maneuverable?
Old 10-08-2009, 06:43 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Will a properly set up flying wing turn faster than a conv. with a tail?

I've never seen a scientific break down of loopability between the 2 types of aircraft, but you also need aimability and you can't have it both ways. You can have a good compromise, though. Either type of design can give you more manueverability than you can use to score with.
Old 10-09-2009, 07:48 AM
rsieminski

Default RE: Will a properly set up flying wing turn faster than a conv. with a tail?

On ave, what style is more popular in combat? The Axe type or the Flying wing type?
Old 10-09-2009, 11:39 PM
combatpigg

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've seen more of the Axe type. I think the flying wing type make better use of the rules if you have a weight minimum. You can devote more structure to the span. Flying wing types are more critical to set up, more reliant on both servos working perfectly. I've managed to fly out a round with a locked up elevator servo, I could even attack with just ailerons.
Old 10-19-2009, 09:26 AM
Capn America

Most run a fuse & wing style plane. Wings do turn much faster than the conventional planes unless they are run very tail heavy and short tailed then a few of the standard planes do very well. I flew wings in 08 to give them a try and made the following observations for my own benifit certainaly not all would agree.

Wings are lighter than my post fuse planes 2.5 to 3 pounds total weight vs 2.10 and up for my fuse planes

The wings did not like hits and tended to break up easier or just not fly well after a hit.

Wings were faster and out turned everybody flying conventional planes so i missed a lot of cuts turning to hard.

In the hands of a good pilot the wing is a benifit but for most I have seen fly them thier scores per round have dropped while using them. There are a few guys that do very well with them but most only fly wings.

I think flying wings make you a better pilot, learning negative g moves and response time makes you feel much more in control when you back to the conventional plane. I am building a couple more practice wings for fun, just for that reason. I also have been playing with a fused plane based on my russian wing airfoil, very short coupled but it seems to be a nice comprimise between the the two planes. I think Lee liddle down in texas was doing that with a scale plane as well with really good results.

I went back to my post planes this year to make things easier on myself, they are really fussy on setup and that is probably my shortcoming, I dont spend enough time tweaking them to get consistant performance out of them. The other problem is they dont run well unless you use a pressure bladder. I tried for months to use a jett style tank but the g's they pull must stall the fuel in the lines. I had to switch to the bladder and i dont love that system.

God luck