Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Avenger assembly question

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Avenger assembly question

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2010, 06:56 PM
turnnburn
My Feedback: (49)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Avenger assembly question

Are most guys covering the entire wing with Bi-di tape or just the l e and te and the spar ?
Old 03-20-2010, 06:58 PM
Rflyin
My Feedback: (6)

Default RE: Avenger assembly question

What class are you flying?

Rick
Old 03-20-2010, 11:15 PM
turnnburn

SSC and Open B. I currently have two of the lighter density foam wings for SSC and two of the denser wings for Open B.
Old 03-21-2010, 08:22 AM
turnnburn

As you may have guessed this is my first serious try at combat. I have flown rc for over 45 years so and have dabbled with combat a few times briefly over the years. Flying the airplanes isnt an issue for me I just need help with the best building and set up techniques etc.. I flew in my first serious combat event at the Lone Star Nationals 2 or 3 years ago and placed 11th in SSC with a Spad airplane and with the old style Magnum .15's . Both my airplane and my engines were substandard performers and a bit of a hadicap but it was still a blast and I am excited to get back into it. This time I have the current Magnum engines and should have 3 or 4 Avengers ready to go. Will be flying in next weeks LSN on Saturday in whatever event they decide to run that day (hopefully it will be SSC).

All help and suggestions are greatly appreciated.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:10 AM
DaneMcGee

.......Yep, SSC will be Saturday.

See you there!

Sorry, Can't help much on the Avenger questions,...................... but if I were doing it, I would go as light as possible on both.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:14 AM
turnnburn

Glad to hear about SSC. I was of the impression that that would not be decided untill this wed based upon the wx forecast.
Old 03-21-2010, 09:52 AM
GSJames

ORIGINAL: Max Wonder
but if I were doing it, I would go as light as possible on both.
See Brian.... I told ya so... ;-) Alternatively, send a PM to Evan (EK on RCCA ) and ask him what he does.
Old 03-21-2010, 10:16 AM
DaneMcGee

ORIGINAL: turnnburn

Glad to hear about SSC. I was of the impression that that would not be decided untill this wed based upon the wx forecast.

I talked to Ed last night..........As of now its on for Sat because of a favorable forecast.
It could change if the forecast for sat weather takes a dump.
Old 03-21-2010, 12:49 PM
blindfaithnogod

http://teamseaholm.com/instructions/...B2.htm?iType=1
http://teamseaholm.com/instructions/...sscAVENGER.htm

the first is for a class b
the second for ssc
Old 03-22-2010, 10:00 AM
sgilkey
My Feedback: (180)

Which AVENGER are you building? The older SSCAVENGER, or the newer B2+? The SSCAVENGER had a slightly smaller wing area and much thinner core, it was relatively easy to build near minimum weight (2.5#). The B2+ has a thicker (tougher) core and a bit more area, the wing takes more knocks and will turn better but it's tougher to keep the weight down. I'm presuming you are using the B2+ wing. The improved area and airfoil section make it turn as good or better than the SSC wing, even at higher weight, but vertical performance will suffer slightly as there is only so much thrust available from the engine! In general, the B2+ wing will still give excellent SSC performance even with an all-up weight 4 ounces over minimum. To get there, depending on the servos you use, you may have to be selective with the "armor."

BiDi is heavy, I use as little as possible. Actually I use hardly any, preferring mono-directional strapping tape which ounce for ounce is much stronger (in one direction- obviously much weaker in the other....) and align the fibers the way I need them. I use a layer of span-wise PLUS 2" strips chord wise over the LE. A layer span wise at the TE, plus a doubler layer about 1/2 span. Then several half-width (it's easy to get the mono-directional tape to "split" in half-width right off the roll) chord-wise wraps all around the wing- three per side evenly spaced from center to tip (plus one right at center). Personally I think the bidi over the spars is a waste. Covering the whole wing with bidi or strapping would be much too heavy.

For a wing that is for SSC use, 25pcf is adequate, for Open or Limited B i prefer the 40# foam.
Old 03-23-2010, 01:38 PM
turnnburn

I have the current version b2+. Thanks for the info. I will keep the use of bi-di to a minimum.
Old 03-28-2010, 07:49 PM
AirScharnell

Interesting thoughts Scott !

Anything else I should know about with the assembly.

Frank
Old 04-07-2010, 10:08 AM
Capn America
My Feedback: (3)

I do mine the same way Scott does, go figure... but i do add a piece of plastic banding strap to the TE and the LE between the wing foam and the LE depron foam material. I just gorrilla glue it on and cover it with packing tape to hold it on till it dries. That and the single fillament tape program really cut down on the wing core splits from midairs without adding much weight.