Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

SIG-WONDER FLYING WING

Community
Search
Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

SIG-WONDER FLYING WING

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2010, 12:35 PM
georgek54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SIG-WONDER FLYING WING

Good Day to All Friends

I am thinking to use SIG's "WONDER" flying wing for COMBAT, instead for "GREMLIN-COMBAT" or "SICKLE" flying wing, which I use now.

Has anybody tried this plane for COMBAT purposes?

Is it fast and agile enough(with an OS-25 FX)? (The company refers on the plane as a "fun-flyer").

This plane has aileron-elevator instead for elevons, as in GREMLIN-COMBAT and SICKLE and I wonder what is the best for COMBAT purposes.

Thank you in advance

Best Regards

George

Old 03-24-2010, 09:06 PM
RC MANIAC119
My Feedback: (14)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: SIG-WONDER FLYING WING

George,

The Wonder, with a 25Fx on it is extremely fast and agile...BUT....I would not use it for Combat! The balsa construction makes is too fragile, and the wing is waaay too short for any effective ribbon cuts.

There are much better Combat birds out there...bigger foam wings and Coroplast fuse's that can take many impacts!! My favorite is the Flatbat!!!

Old 03-25-2010, 09:40 AM
georgek54

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you very much RC-M119

I understand what you mean: after a fall or a midair, "WONDER" will be completely destroyed.

I think you are right.

Unfortunately this is also true for the "SICKLE" I use now: It is very fast and agile, but since I construct it with ply-fuselage and blue (hard) polysterene foam wings, it is also very fragile. Also, it needs a lot of work -and time- to be constructed (or repaired), since the wings need some kind of internal support to be enough strong and rigid. I use epoxy spars to strengthen the wings but the result is that the model is rather heavy now, about 1150 gr.

Though, it seems that this support is necessary: The first model I constructed lost its half wing during a sudden turn I made on the air !

For all these reasons I am thinking to try "WONDER" wing.

I just saw also the wing you use, "FLATBAT", it is very impressive. Its span is also 8" larger than that of SICKLE and WONDER, and this is certainly an advantage.

Its fuselage-if I understood well- is made from a baseball stick? I am not sure if I could find a cheap baseball stick in Greece, since this game is not very popular here. I have seen wooden baseball sticks but I suppose they are rather expensive. How much do you buy these sticks in USA?

Best Regards

George

Old 03-27-2010, 11:07 AM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

The secret to low impact combat is to use the least amount of power that will get the job done on planes with fairly light wing loadings. Low speeds give the pilots time to avoid mid airs. I've found that 500 square inch planes pulled around by PAW15 diesels work great for real survivable combat. White polystyrene foam flying wings I make from retired C/L combat planes. A 8x5 or 8x6 prop keeps the speeds down and 4 ozs of fuel makes the matches last about 20 minutes. So after the launch, we take a seat in lawn chairs, take a sip from a drink and then enjoy the aerial chess match that plays out in slow motion......[8D]