Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Airplanes > RC Combat
Reload this Page >

Our first SSC attempt today

Notices
RC Combat Discuss rc combat planes, techniques and strategies here.

Our first SSC attempt today

Old 09-06-2010, 06:35 PM
Popriv

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Our first SSC attempt today

I've been trying to get some combat going since spring.
5-6 guys are just waiting for some Magnum .15's to come in.
two of us have been practicing with battle axes.
Finally got three guys up today.
two battle axes and a battle floyd.
we agreed on a battle zone and I set my timer for 6 minutes.
It took a couple of minutes for the 2nd battle axe to launch.
I had nothing on my wings, he had taped sandpaper to his LE.
we went at it pretty good, very intense. kept getting further away so I kept flying back towards us.
We have a small field surrounded by trees so we were trying to keep it above the field.
about 5 minutes in, the battle floyd made it up. this was our first time with 3 planes up..
Well it only took another minute before I had a midair with the BF. We hit mid wings, CRUNCH!
My plane settled right in and I shouted "I'm still flying" The other guy was still flying also!
For a second I thought I'd continue fighting but while turning I saw that my wing was now on a 45 degree angle.
I thought it would be a good idea to try landing. Funny, the plane seemed to be flying fine. Both planes made it back to the runway.
Just a dent in each wing and one of my alierons had disconnected at the control horn. both planes went back up.
unfortunatly the battle floyds nose broke off on the next landing so that was it for today...

this is gonna be fun...

Steve

Old 09-06-2010, 06:44 PM
outdoorhunting

Default RE: Our first SSC attempt today

Combat HAS to be the most fun, whether your watching or flying in it. I got to watch 3 or 4 different "battles" in Muncie at the Nats 3 yrs ago. I laughed sooo hard my sides hurt. I could tell the guys participating were having a blast too ( they were flying 8 planes at once, can you imagine??) . I wish ya all the luck in the world getting your combat going. Be carefull though, I would imagine it's EXTREMELY habit forming !!
Old 09-06-2010, 09:31 PM
combatpigg
My Feedback: (3)

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

With 1/2A combat, we normally fly all day with no fatal mid airs. At the end of the day, we have flown 10 to 12 ...15 minute matches and it's then when the attention span or low level of patience causes most of the damage.

12 oz planes seldom reach the dirt if flown over a hay field, so lots of times the damage from the mid air is fixed right on the spot.

SSC is really not S, or is it S, but it is C if that's all you got.
Old 09-07-2010, 06:18 AM
aussiesteve

Man - you are making me jealous.
We only had SSC combat here and a week after I bought a set of planes from a guy a couple of years ago, they announced that they weren't going to do combat here any more. (he coulda told me when he sold me the planes).

My son and I sometimes take the SSC planes out in "the back paddock" (We live on a small farming property) just for fun - sure helps with that Father / son bonding thing and it is definitley in line with the sticker on his flight box.

"When sex and drugs are not enough - go combat flying"

Habit forming? - you betchya
A GREAT habit to have - OH YES.

I wish we had combat here still
Old 09-07-2010, 10:04 AM
draftman1

oh yes, its so addictive, congrats on getting it going there. here is a video of the combat in so cal, http://www.youtube.com/user/dbronst3.../0/6I693OjdWCw

the guy who does the videos has quite a few of them, check it out!