RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Combat (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-combat-94/)
-   -   ATTENTION DANGER CARL GOLDBERG SPINERS (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-combat-94/5104473-attention-danger-carl-goldberg-spiners.html)

alcarafa 12-11-2006 09:20 PM

ATTENTION DANGER CARL GOLDBERG SPINERS

BIG DANGER.

ATTENTION ALL OF YOU MODELERS [:-].

I RECENTLY BOUGHT SOME CARL GOLBERG SPINNERS , I INSTALED ONE ON MY OS 46FX COMBAT WING, ASSURED IT WAS PROPERLLY INSTALLED AND RUN THE ENGINE, AT HIGH RPM'S THE CONE CAME OUT AND HIT MY CHEST WITH TREMENDOUS PAIN.

THERE ARE NO SCREWS TO HOLD THE CONE IN PLACE LIKE DUBRO SPINERS, JUST 4 LITTLE PINS TO ATTACH TO THE BASE, THOSE C.G. SPINERS ARE PURE CRAP.

I LIVE IN MEXICO OTHERWISE I WOULD BE SUING C.G FOR THE EVENT AND CLAIMING FOR MEDICAL ATTENTION I HAD.

IMAGINE THE CONE HITTING YOU ON ONE EYE!

FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION AND SAFETY NEVER BUY OR USE C.G SPINNERS [:'(].

I HOPE THIS WILL PREVENT ONE BIG ACCIDENT TO ANYONE IN THE HOBBY.

LAST SUNDAY ANOTHER FRIEND HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE BUT THANK GOD IT DIDNT HIT HIM.

NICE FLIGHTS TO ALL YOU.

RAFA.

VISIT US IN MERIDA MEXICO WHEN YOU COME HERE OR TAKE A LOOK OF THE CLUB AT:
www.rcmerida.com.mx

vwtrey 12-11-2006 09:36 PM

RE: ATTENTION DANGER CARL GOLDBERG SPINERS

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

I LIVE IN MEXICO OTHERWISE I WOULD BE SUING C.G FOR THE EVENT AND CLAIMING FOR MEDICAL ATTENTION I HAD.

ok, i dont like it when things break. And i dont like it when people get hurt at the field. Seeing a prop eat a finger really makes me sick.

and maybe im out of line here

but i hate reading statements like that even more.

did you call the company to find out if this has happened before? I generally think things should be researched before such statements get made.

Sorry if im out of line with that.

trey

alcarafa 12-12-2006 02:29 AM

Trey I ' ve send a e-mail to them about the incident, but sure will not spend more money on that company.

It just makes me sick [:'(]
JUST DONT BUY OR USE CARL GOLDBERG SPINNERS, FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION

Demon 12-12-2006 05:51 PM

Stop right there with the "don't like these comments" posts and getting into legal mumbo-jumbo. Stay on topic (in this case snapped-on spinners popping off) or I'll delete the whole thread.

Ok? Thanks.

Now, while on topic, I've had CG spinners' pins break during combat. The damage was not visible during post-round inspection and the spinners failed when the starter cone was pressed onto them. No harm done, but time was wasted getting into the air during the 90 second window.

Bottom line: If you're going to use a spinner for combat, use a brand that screws together instead of a brand that snaps together.

D

alcarafa 12-13-2006 12:02 PM

Mr. " Demon"

No threatening is necessary on deleting my comment.

1 - All I'm doing is advising other modelers, combat or not , of what happen to me using those spinners.

2- if you read CAREFULLY you can notice I used a brand new spinner, not used or involved in prior combats or else.

3- for others comments I cant be responsible.

4- I think I have the rights to express my point of view on equipment that may be hazardous to all of us modelers.

5- I express my respect to you as moderator and the RC universe site and hope you can be more polite in your comments next time.

Demon 12-13-2006 06:42 PM

"alcarafa",
Please read my post carefully. My comment was directed at those posting or considering posting that they didn't like your "sue them" comment - not you. Opinions are quite welcome on everything EXCEPT other people's opinions.

No threat. Just letting you know where I draw the line.

On with the snapped-on spinner discussion, if you please.

D

Clean 12-13-2006 07:20 PM

I've used them before plenty on sport planes with no problems whatsoever. But on high revving engines I have had them let go. Course you should never be out in front of a prop running the engine up, blades seperate too and cause mucho damage.

Used properly the CG spinners are fine, I just rarely use them properly on a combat ship. I don't know if they post an RPM limit on them, but it might be an idea. I spit two off my Norvel powered wing and one off of a mustang before I put two and two together.

Scar 12-13-2006 07:36 PM

ORIGINAL: alcarafa

BIG DANGER.

ATTENTION ALL OF YOU MODELERS [:-].

I RECENTLY BOUGHT SOME CARL GOLBERG SPINNERS , I INSTALED ONE ON MY OS 46FX COMBAT WING, ASSURED IT WAS PROPERLLY INSTALLED AND RUN THE ENGINE, AT HIGH RPM'S THE CONE CAME OUT AND HIT MY CHEST WITH TREMENDOUS PAIN.

THERE ARE NO SCREWS TO HOLD THE CONE IN PLACE LIKE DUBRO SPINERS, JUST 4 LITTLE PINS TO ATTACH TO THE BASE, THOSE C.G. SPINERS ARE PURE CRAP.

IMAGINE THE CONE HITTING YOU ON ONE EYE!

FOR YOUR OWN PROTECTION AND SAFETY NEVER BUY OR USE C.G SPINNERS [:'(].

I HOPE THIS WILL PREVENT ONE BIG ACCIDENT TO ANYONE IN THE HOBBY.

LAST SUNDAY ANOTHER FRIEND HAD THE SAME EXPERIENCE BUT THANK GOD IT DIDNT HIT HIM.

NICE FLIGHTS TO ALL YOU.

RAFA.

VISIT US IN MERIDA MEXICO WHEN YOU COME HERE OR TAKE A LOOK OF THE CLUB AT:
www.rcmerida.com.mx
I'm going to suggest you never stand in front of your plane (or anyone else's) when the engine is revved to high RPM.

I'll take your unused Goldberg spinners, never had a problem with them. Can't imagine one of them coming off, if there was clearance between the prop and the cone.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

opjose 12-18-2006 04:41 PM

Most of the plastic spinners will pop off at high revs if you overtighen the mounting screws.

This breaks down the plastic at the screw hold point, weakening it...

I've have had Dubro spinners do the same thing.

alcarafa 12-19-2006 01:43 PM

José : cARL GOLDBERG SNAP ON SPINNERS HAVE NO SCREWS, THAT MAKES THEM MORE DANGEROUS AT HIGH RPM'S, HAVE NEVER HAD THAT PROBLEM WITH DUBRO PLASTIC SPINNERS, I WAS STANDING ABOUT 15 FEET AWAY FROM PLANE WHEN IT CAME OFF AND HIT ME.

MY ADVICE IS JUST DONT USE THAT SNAP ON KIND SPINNERS.

TXS

opjose 12-19-2006 03:22 PM

Wow, I've never tried these...

I'm surprised that they would resort to something that weak.... Ugh!

Scar 12-19-2006 05:41 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

opjose, they're not weak. In fact, it's almost impossible to get them apart, when assembled properly. There are four snap posts, you must push VERY hard to get them snapped in, and you must pry them apart a little bit at a time, one by one in order to get them apart.

In order to have one come apart while running, I suspect one must eliminate clearance between prop and spinner - or not get the snap posts completely inserted.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Clean 12-19-2006 06:13 PM

ORIGINAL: opjose

Resort? The first spinner I bought in 1978 was the 4 pin snap together spinner. I had an operation to get rid of the cist caused by another one that I foolishly snapped together with my bare hand, use a block or a heavy hard rubber malet to snap them together, dont' use your hand.

But resort? It's a good spinner design but like anything, if it is installed incorrectly or is somehow damaged or oversped, it can have a failure.

FlyingGreg 12-22-2006 10:19 AM

I don't do combat anymore since all the combat guys in my club are gone, but when we were holding combat events, twice a year, I used spinner nuts instead of plastic spinners. Not because I have anything against plastic spinners, it just takes too long to change props. We had a local guy, Bill Turner, that made in any thread you needed. Aluminum, polished and only about $5 each.

jmupilot 12-22-2006 10:42 AM

Been using Carl Goldberg spinners for as long as I can remember 25+ yrs, and have never had one come apart. I have had the engine to kick back while applying the the starter to the spinner and unscrew the prop retaining nut and the whole assembly comes off, prop, spinner, nut, and washer in one neat little package. 4-strokes are famous for this when applying throttle after starting them. The first rule of safety was broken by standing in front of the airplane. Its a sure way to get the wrath of the club safety officer on your butt at our club flying site. We dont even allow aircraft to be started unless they are facing the saftey net. But I realize you have to be in front of the plane to start them, and thats when the incident probably happened. Even the best of spinners have failed due to the torque of a starter being appied to them. I've seen Tru-Turns come off, and also prop nuts. Reality is accidents happen and all we can do is be aware of the causes and try to do a liitle better after learning them. But blasting a manufacturer is not going to solve anything.

Pete

Reverse_Sensing 12-24-2006 12:39 AM

Yeah I'm not too knowledgeable about the differences between specific spinners and how each are fastened, but common sense usually keeps me elsewhere besides in the front of 20,000 RPMs pointed directly at me. Carl Goldberg snap spinners are nearly impossible to separate if you click them together properly. Proper preflight of certain engine components is vital prior to each flight.

B_JAMIN 04-14-2010 08:26 PM

AH this is the site I need help on this CG spinner. I need a 2" spinner with no recess on the back side, does the Goldberg spinner have one like the DuBro. I have an issue with Cowl to spinner. they need to have some separation. Engine is already mounted so I may need to get a new mount and drill an 1/8" farther out but the Lazy side of me says get a spinner that does not recess.
any help?

ty
B_JAMIM

Scar 04-14-2010 09:57 PM

ORIGINAL: B_JAMIN

AH this is the site I need help on this CG spinner. I need a 2'' spinner with no recess on the back side, does the Goldberg spinner have one like the DuBro. I have an issue with Cowl to spinner. they need to have some separation. Engine is already mounted so I may need to get a new mount and drill an 1/8'' farther out but the Lazy side of me says get a spinner that does not recess.
any help?

ty
B_JAMIM
You have replied to a 4 year old post.

Goldberg was bought by Lanier, then Lanier was bought out by the Great Planes folks. The Goldberg spinners are not in the catalog.

I don't think you'll have any trouble buying an aluminum spinner witn no recess on the back side.

Good luck,
Dave Olson

Cross Check 04-15-2010 10:01 AM

Hi B JAMIN,

A CB spinner should work:

http://www.mecoa.com/cb/spinners.htm

They have aluminum backplates that are flush with the engine thrustwasher.

Hope this helps.

Take care,
Have fun,
Dave'crosscheck'Fallowfield
Maac 6437
Unabashed Combat Team

ARUP 04-15-2010 10:38 AM

ALWAYS wear eye protection (not cheap sunglasses but Anzi Safety Standard approved ones) fooling around with model airplanes. ALWAYS adjust the needle standing behind the spinning prop. Ear protection prolly not a bad idea, too.

HighPlains 04-15-2010 10:51 AM

A couple of things in this thread:

Plastic spinners are a no-no on high speed engines. Don't be a Homer.

You will throw the spinner and prop if you over-prime the engine and try to start it with the starter. Learn to turn the engine over by hand and feel for the bump. When it quits bumping every time at TDC, it is ready to start.

Tru-turn spinners are very well balanced, CB not very well (in fact if you want to run CB spinners at high rpm, you better plan on changing out the screw holding the cone on about every 10 or 15 flights. Otherwise, they tend to fatigue and throw the cone.)

PLANE JIM 04-15-2010 04:35 PM

why not wear a five point harness, helmet and fire suit-you must not fly much, not a bad idea but most guys are doing well having someone to hold it or starting with the model held back some how.

DaneMcGee 04-15-2010 07:39 PM

C'mon guys this post has been dead for years.

Lets don't dig up a dead horse just so we can whack it a few more times.

Move on.

SunnyFlyer09 05-23-2010 06:40 PM

Let's keep it alive.

DeferredDefect 05-23-2010 09:10 PM

I have never had a problem with Goldberg Spinners. It is handy that you don't need to tediously unscrew four bolts + the prop nut just to change a prop!