Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

Anyone ever make a rocket drag car

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Anyone ever make a rocket drag car

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2007, 07:23 PM
drift*king

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone ever make a rocket drag car

Its just a thought! ---A rocket powerd rc dragster--- anyone ever try to make one ??
I'm big on custom fabrication and I'm about to start to make mine and just wanted to know if any of you guys have tryed it yet?
And anyone know who makes a good clear funny car body.... Thanks ....
Old 09-04-2007, 07:45 PM
Q.S.

Default RE: Anyone ever make a rocket drag car

I did when i was a teenager it wasent RC though. it was about 1/8 scale. i made it out of an giant model 1/8 scale vette. I cut out the trunk and made a aliminum box and mounted it in the trunk opening and it held 6 model rocket engines. it diddent work to well it was to light and wanted to fly. and it did a few times almost straight up and then hit the ground. I dont remember the number size of the rockets but they were about 1/34''x6'' or so. need less to say that car diddent fly very well. and i tore it apart and saved what i could and trashed the rest.
Old 09-04-2007, 07:58 PM
M.R. Ogle

Here's one...

http://www.rcspeedrun.com/craigrocket.html
Old 09-04-2007, 08:03 PM
drift*king

Thats nutty I see me and him are on the same page lol thats on bad dragster but how's it stop?
Old 09-05-2007, 03:44 PM
2916jr

I have is was a rocket semi hand built out of aluminum it weighed just over 1lb rtr had 2 duel d motors it was more of a scale car as in run(not a go fast type of car) it ran good for about 5 runs then when I went to pull the parachute the motor still had a small fire coming out and it burnt the string off and the only way to stop it was to roll it over or let it smack into a curb so I rolled it and never tried to fix it but I found out later that it had more problems than just the wreck or the parachute and the rvoery wadding caught fire and had a small fire in the car and didnt know it until I got up to the car smoke was rolling out of it had a small burn spot in the body
Old 09-05-2007, 08:25 PM
jhrocketcar

I have been building rocket cars for over 25 years.I just ran my car at the first anual labor day shootout in Racine,Wisconsin.I have a web site at www.geocities.com/rocketsnuffy/rcroketpower.html If you go to www.bigsquidrc.com and go to the form,click on Midwest rc drag racing series and click on Racine,Wisconsin opening night theres a video of my car.I`ll post some pictures if it works.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Jh14675.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	17.4 KB
ID:	757278   Click image for larger version

Name:	Oj25840.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	757279   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fk17121.jpg
Views:	41
Size:	95.0 KB
ID:	757280  
Old 09-05-2007, 08:35 PM
jhrocketcar

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DJcC6cr-PeA

This is the video at Racine,Wisconsin
Old 09-05-2007, 08:57 PM
M.R. Ogle

Man, I was hoping you'd post on here, but I didn't have a link... Yeah, JH IS the guy you want to talk to... he's been doing rocket dragsters for a long time now.
Old 09-06-2007, 11:13 AM
ahr43

Yeah, we saw that car in the image posted on another website describing the Racine race. We noticed in the image it didn't hae a rear wing and almost asked about it there. Now we know. Nice looking ride.

Supposed to be a RC rocket car making an exhibiton run at the IMDRA World finals too. Guy named Gary out of San Bernardino, CA. He runs with the MHRA (Model Hot Rod Association) on the west coast.

[edit: Oh! We downloaded a couple of docs from the old nrca (National Rocket Car Association) back early year 2000 or so. nrca used to run RC rocket cars in Nevada. Think they even ran at event at one time Craig Breedlove was testing his WLSR car. Anyway, they're the nrca competition regulations and safety code. Email us if you'd like a copy. We've tried contacting nrca, even sent them a general delivery postcard, but to no avail. :end edit.]

//AC//
Team AHR43
Old 09-06-2007, 04:31 PM
drevil
My Feedback: (5)

ORIGINAL: jhrocketcar

I have been building rocket cars for over 25 years.I just ran my car at the first anual labor day shootout in Racine,Wisconsin.I have a web site at www.geocities.com/rocketsnuffy/rcroketpower.html If you go to www.bigsquidrc.com and go to the form,click on Midwest rc drag racing series and click on Racine,Wisconsin opening night theres a video of my car.I`ll post some pictures if it works.
That's awesome! How fast do these run or how do they compare in "1/4" mile speed compared to other 1/10 scale dragsters?

I was doing some research on Sammy Miller's full scale rocket car and it got me thinking about building a scaled down version. I think the coolest thing would be a 1/4 scale that looks really scale but building a rocket motor for that size vehicle wouldn't be easy or safe. So I guess if I ever go through with it I'll have to make it 1/10 scale. What size rocket motors are you using?
Old 09-06-2007, 05:47 PM
jhrocketcar

Hows it going Mike.Glad to hear from ya.I`m going to try and make it to lynwood,Ill on the 15th if I dont work to late,but they say they have lites so it would be awesome to run the rocket car at night.Hope you and Craig can make it.I would like to see his car run.
Hi AC,Glade you like the car.Did you look real close at the motor?It`s the one I bought from you and it works great.
Old 09-06-2007, 05:52 PM
Q.S.

Hey guys seen this post and thought that you might like these images I have of a 1/4 scale jet car. there old I got them a few years ago. ENJOY!!!
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fd91315.jpg
Views:	37
Size:	91.8 KB
ID:	757775   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70328.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	757776   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mk25374.jpg
Views:	36
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	757777   Click image for larger version

Name:	Vt58413.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	68.3 KB
ID:	757778   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ki18024.jpg
Views:	39
Size:	64.9 KB
ID:	757779   Click image for larger version

Name:	Zw69578.jpg
Views:	43
Size:	57.0 KB
ID:	757780  
Old 09-06-2007, 06:11 PM
jhrocketcar

How you doing DREVIL, I can run with the big boys,depends on what size motor I`m using. The motors I use are Aerotec 24/40 reusable motors.They range anywhere from a E-18 to a F-39.