Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drag Racing
Reload this Page >

new wanting to build a custom dragster

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

new wanting to build a custom dragster

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2009, 02:28 PM
STANG KILLA SS
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new wanting to build a custom dragster

been racing 1:1 forever and want to build a scale one now. been doing RC for 15 years now, everything from planes, cars, trucks, boats, subs, helis but never a drag car.

im wanting to build one. mostly for looks but that goes somewhat fast too. full cage, dummy V8 motor, etc.

i want to use this body.
http://www.hpiracing.co.jp/parts/w_7460_01.jpg
its 200mm wide and 10.1" WB

this is one of the cheapest kits ive found
http://rjspeed.com/ (pro mod or pro stock kit)

any other recomedations?

ill have to shorten the WB thats too easy with a new lower chassis plate or just redrill the front "suspension" holes

but what about width? i think the front would be easy, but what about the back? how could i widen it?

is there somewhere i could buy drag parts? (basically everthing in that kit but the chassis plate and the body)

also what can i use for bigger rear tires, those short low profile tires are NOT going to cut it for the look im after. where could i find some taller tires with more sidewall? that would bolt up?

any good links? forums?

thanks!
Old 10-04-2009, 08:25 AM
jpilkinton

Default RE: new wanting to build a custom dragster

If ya got the tools and machines, you could build one from scratch. You would just need a few parts from RJSpeed. I think my custom build only cost about $70.
Of course I had the tools and machines to make most of my parts.
I did run it for a few minutes in a small remote area. It was a little squirly.....
Never gave it all it has though. Need to find a bigger area to dial(engine tune) it in.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:46 PM
STANG KILLA SS

time to get to building.

after an hour

well i got electronics in it. i had a 15 year old reedy Fury 12T, and a 15 year old Novak Racer esc and put those in. with a 3600 stick pack.

then i was all amped and ran to the school parking lot behind the house for its first run.

made a pass and then on the return trip i hit a speed bump at about half speed. lol two damn passes and already crashed it. went from about half speed to 0 mph in like .0000001 seconds. just BAM.

sheered the zip tie on the battery and ejected it, and the industrial 3M double sided rubber tape on the esc and receiver same thing. sheered that and sent them flying too. it was funny to see the car stop and everythign else keep moving. bent the traction bar a bit but somehow didnt break a single thing!

even the motor moved forward about 1/8" :shock: screws still tight and all

was a pretty hard jolt i guess.
Old 10-16-2009, 01:48 PM
STANG KILLA SS

in the mean time i had ordered some new parts. for one, those teeny tires werent gonna cut it. they just look rediculous, ricer tires on a pro mod, i think not. so i ordered a couple different size tires, bearings for front and rear, and some billet hubs, because just as i was warned the plastic ones split during assembly. still useable, but the spur gear screw holes split.

i used the stock bushings outside the new bearings to space out the rear wheels more to fill the wheel wells better, worked great and the pinion still reached.

also borrowed a couple goodies from my old man for the RCC speed shootout.

got some work done on the body

got some wheel well templates drawn up in cad since the body didnt have any.

then got it cut out, because of the rake with the bigger rear tires i had to cut 1/4" off the front, starting at the back of the front fenders going all the way around the front to the other side.

then i made the masks, and put them on and taped off the rest of the body.

then i started laying paint. painted the gunmetal first then removed the masks.

thats when everything went to *****. this is the second time ive used House of Kolor Polycarb paint. and both times it has ruined the body. not only is it super transperant, but the worst is it shrinks horribly almost instantly(20 mins to 3 hours). it cracks open on flat surfaces, and on tight inside corners, it shrinks so much it pulls the paint away from the body, leaving a air pocket void sealed between the paint and the body. SO frustrating. it did this on another body and color i used a year ago. needless to say this will be my last time. also because its so trasperant, the finished product looks like camo. really ruined it.

got the body finished. just added some stickers and made some wing side plates. for the headlights i just made silver disks and doodled on them with a fine sharpie.

funny story, i was in the empty back parking lot of a bingo land taking the pics. about half way threw a old granny in a beat up 91 sentra pulls in and parks in the corner about 75 to 100 feet from the pro mod. im about halfway done taking pics and i hear her yell:

granny-what is that?
me-huh?
granny-what is that?, some kind of animal?
me- :lmao: i laughed to myself and thought i hope so :twisted:

...on the way home i thought to myself, "and they let this lady drive?":shock:

video coming soon.
Old 10-16-2009, 09:28 PM
maggio

Nice Looking car Buddy.... The best up grade you made was the rear hubs.... I say your ready for some seriou competiton..

Maggio R/C Motorsports
Old 10-18-2009, 09:15 AM
studysession

Nice setup.... Can't wait to see the video.