Notices
RC Drag Racing For all you straight line enthusiasts. Discuss all aspects of rc drag racing here!

Fathers Day Weekend Race

Old 06-16-2010, 07:54 PM
estrellainc

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fathers Day Weekend Race

Gettin her ready for the weekends race. im even wearin a CC Racing tshirt. lmao.

I tried videotaping the last bits of the build. the camera's battery is really a problem.
when i tried to take apart the buggy, all the bolts were on real stiff.
i didnt use loktite yet, so i suspect some light corrosion on the bolts.

I did however only remove the necessary bolts to install:
wheelie bar
rhino underbody
CF Roof
TGN Alloy Sparkplug protector (red)

I removed the wing, rear brake setup, and hex and decided to only use the fronts brakes for stopping. (please chime in if this is something you've done.)

I suspect this mod will change the wear pattern of the diff cups dramitically since it will no longer try to transfer stress the (crank), layshaft, tranny, cvd bones to stop; the reduced wear on one side of diff cups should be significant. it will hopefully allow safe diff cup swaps in the future.

the buggy is still lighter than my SS with TR HD clutch. idk by how much, but it did feel a couple pounds lighter even though the SS had no wheelie bar.

the rhino underbody was cut as high as possible to sit the body inside. it gives the car a different aggresive look. i hope it helps aerodynamics. the gears are 19/55 so i expect the top speed around 58mph. i hope i can get better than 2.5sec/132ft this time at the drags or even another podium finish. i am praying for NO rollovers. the rear CF shock brace is exposed and will prolly skid/scrape on the cement.

PICS under sunlight.

Old 06-19-2010, 10:13 AM
estrellainc

Default RE: Fathers Day Weekend Race

i am rendering the last of the videos leading to todays run. in the meantime i would like to share a few thoughts about this experience.

first impression:

driving that buggy felt purty darn good.

the difference in a lightweight setup makes for an interesting and nimble ride.

I bought the rig from Rhino Racing last year. I think he did an excellent job with the onroad suspension setup he sent me. the suspension was already lowered, all i did is reset the front toe, added blue springs in the back, and changed to 40wt in the rear shocks. i always had trouble tracking straight on my street. the asphalt is slippery and every rig i had went nose first into the ditches. this particular build was much easier to track. i only went offroad during a launch once. the Rhino underbody kept the dust out too. BIG UP to danny. your work awesome.

i was so worried about breaking the chassis before the big race. i wanted so badly to give ya an 8' wheelie first outing, but i was in no state of mind to even try. i only ran 250ml of 112oct fuel today. i used 112 because that was all that was available today from my supplier. $9 a gal delivered to my home is a good buy i think.

the CC Racing engine was tuned for a Jetpro Gargantuan, but it was about 50deg hotter today since that tune. using a v2 Dom, i was unable to keep it running long without giving it throttle. so i reset the needles to 1 1/2L, 1 1/4H. ended up using ~1 1/8L and 1 1/4H (and a new plug) before i had decent response and rpms.

I was told it ran perfect, but when i hit the gas it still sounded like it was bogging. when i slowed down the video, it rolled the wheels about 3/4 turn before i could see minimal wheelspin or any loss of traction. i did hear minor slippage from the clutch as well. the stall was strange because i heard the rpms fall for about .10 seconds after engaging the clutch. kinda like a manual shift in 1st gear on a real fast motorcycle. i need to make sure i am getting WOT before i go tuning the needles and clutch stall, and i know that the cement track at NOLA has much better bite.

speaking of bite... remember i removed the rear brakes?

i think the BSW front brakes are really nice. imho, i don't think using ONLY front brakes is such a good idea anymore.

why? 1st, those quick 180's are history.

when i did hit the brakes/stopping a launch, the rear wheels continued pushing, while the front tires are locked. i also lose steering everytime the front wheels were locked. it seems the rear brakes actually help slam the front tires down so the front brakes can be really effective. all it did was slide. ...if you do use a 2 speed, (like rotax) i think it may be a lil' better because the one way releases the forward drive much sooner and the stock tranny setup will not release forward momentum until the clutch disengages

the front brakes did bind a little during the first run. (no worry its an easy fix.) i had no idea of the problem, it made u-turns difficult to perform even when using the grass edges of the street.

speaking of 132 feet... i really didnt wind out the motor before 132 ft.

i suspect the current suspension won't allow wheelies as easy as before. in any case the drive was good and controllable. i really wish i can remove another pound of weight. but it's too late for a major change before the big race tommorrow.

just got a text:

"RC racers this saturday race time 5.00 pull names at 5.25 start race at 6.00 GOD bless."

(its happening behind lowes on reed blvd in new orleans east.)
Old 06-20-2010, 10:29 PM
estrellainc

happy fathers day ya'll

being a father means so much more than just having some kids.
our kids really depend on us to show them everything about life. when we are not involved with our kids, they will learn anyway, especially how it feels to be let down.

went to the races in NOLA. it was quite the treat. many good friends i hadnt seen in a few weeks. it was great being there.

also, i raced the Rhino too!
i wont spoil it for ya and tell ya about the match.

and lastly i rendered and taped video for the last few days.
the first of the batch... the final assembly.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKm_qm26pVA[/youtube]
Old 06-21-2010, 02:06 AM
estrellainc

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_XvuTXCSZ5w[/youtube]

tell me who won
Old 06-21-2010, 12:57 PM
estrellainc

LOL

my bad... for a second there yall had me thinkin you wanted me to get this thing running.

the race was won by ellis.

/threads