RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Drag Racing (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drag-racing-479/)
-   -   1/5th scale jet dragster....with afterburner..!! (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drag-racing-479/7846796-1-5th-scale-jet-dragster-afterburner.html)

knobby1 08-14-2008 07:13 PM

1/5th scale jet dragster....with afterburner..!!

Hey All,

I've finally fitted the turbine engine into the chassis and fired her up yesterday, she's bloody thirsty though [X(], seems to work pretty well so far with no dramas to speak of.

Next to come will be the parachute pods, braking system and finally the bodywork. I had to put several paving bricks in front to stop her shooting off on me!! She's got a goodly amount of thrust and "should" run a nice mph too within the 264foot strip:D......I hope!!

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T01iqDN1wYQ&fmt=18

Cheers,
Smithy.

kenazzo2000 08-15-2008 01:08 AM

RE: 1/5th scale jet dragster....with afterburner..!!

nice job mate keep it up for the body work you can use wood and then cover it with glass cloth or just take a form from it with fiber glass keep it up mate

sheograth 08-15-2008 06:19 PM

Nice job, its funny to see the fuel level drop so fast :D

Xtfreak 08-16-2008 02:35 PM

[X(] Wow, the you can see the fuel just go down and down and down.

knobby1 08-27-2008 06:28 PM

Hey Guy's,
The latest development of my 1/5th scale turbine dragster is ready. I was really only testing to see if the steering and braking systems were working correctly and I didn't want it to run away on me. I only ran her up to 45-50% so there's not much in the way of thrust to be had at these rpms.

The poor thing doesn't carry much fuel unfortunately but them's the breaks when you start to play with turbines.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uzdDQfeI9Ik&fmh=18

Cheers,
Smithy.

Brian_BigSquidRC 08-27-2008 08:26 PM

Awesome! Can I post that vid over at the Big Squid RC drag forum?

knobby1 08-27-2008 08:31 PM

ORIGINAL: Brian_BigSquidRC

Awesome! Can I post that vid over at the Big Squid RC drag forum?

Hey Brian,
You can certainly post it over at Big-Squid, I hope they like it. The car is all but done now, just have to nut out the bodywork, fit the cockpit/rollcage etc.... and she's ready to rock and roll.

I have some parachutes to fit but I'm not having too much success without some pilot chutes to drag them out.....any ideas??

Cheers,
Smithy.

Brian_BigSquidRC 09-01-2008 09:37 PM

Thanks man!

Posted a link up in the forum, I'm sure the guys will dig it!

Have you had it go down the lot wide open yet? Not sure I'd be brave enough.. lol!

Keep me posted about more vids man.

ElectricGuy007 09-04-2008 12:42 AM

ORIGINAL: sheograth

Nice job, its funny to see the fuel level drop so fast :D
Pretty cool, and loud. Burn up a whole tank of fuel in 3 mins.[&:]
Id like to see one race against a brushless and nitro methane dragster.
The only thing bad about a turbine dragster it seems it would be harder/Impossible to get the rear tires to balloon like the real ones.

knobby1 09-09-2008 12:02 AM

Hey RacerEX,

I'd like to see it up against a brushless or nitro machine too, however, I don't think it would be much competition for them, the turbine is just too slow off the line. The top end speed would be no problem but it would probably take an eternity to get there!! Even with the afterburner it leaves the line at a fairly lesurely pace compared to electric and nitro powered machines of the same scale!!

Cheers,
Smithy.

NitroVette 09-15-2008 08:30 PM

That is the sickest model I have ever seen !

knobby1 09-15-2008 08:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: NitroVette

That is the sickest model I have ever seen !
Thanks for the compliment Vette, it's gunna look schmicko when it's finally finished and will look similar to this one below... but in black of course!!

Cheers,
Smithy.

NitroVette 09-15-2008 10:18 PM

You Aussies definately have some issues ! You guys are insane. Please post more video and pics during your build.

Mudgy 09-18-2008 06:46 AM

G'Day Smithy,
I like the irony of the 25km/h sign in the first photo[&:]

Beasley1 09-25-2008 03:25 PM

Is there any videos of one of these rc jet dragsters making a full out pass. I would love to see that.

knobby1 09-25-2008 03:44 PM

1 Attachment(s)

ORIGINAL: Beasley1

Is there any videos of one of these rc jet dragsters making a full out pass. I would love to see that.

I'm afraid I don't know of any other model "afterburning jet dragsters" of this type, this isn't to say they don't exist, I just haven't seen any on the net. Mine hasn't made a full power pass as yet, won't be too long away.

The parachutes are all but done now and the Lexan body is in the works. I'm still working out some glitches with the electrics, seems every time I hit the A/B button, the RPM hall effect sensor goes nuts and sometimes causes an engine shutdown, has happened three times now, methinks I'm getting some electrical noise from the A/B pump motor which interferes with the rest of the gubbins.

My wiring is a bit of a mess at the moment so this may be half the problem, I'm an "electronic idiot" unfortunately. Should get it cleaned up and sorted eventually.

Cheers,
Smithy.

Beasley1 10-20-2008 12:31 PM

Made a pass with it yet?

knobby1 10-20-2008 01:57 PM

ORIGINAL: Beasley1

Made a pass with it yet?
No I haven't as yet, been very busy with work and the Jet Central turbines of late, it will happen though, she is essentially ready to run, I just have to nut out some small electrical details and all will be good.

I'm going to take it rather slowly and build up to a decent speed, the steering is still a bit sharp for my liking (read skill..or lack thereof!!) so i'll be taking to it with some more expo to try a soften it a bit.

Cheers,
Smithy.

Ttam Says Blarg 11-04-2008 06:24 PM

So how fast do you think she will go? Very nice car!

knobby1 11-04-2008 06:54 PM

ORIGINAL: Ttam Says Blarg

So how fast do you think she will go? Very nice car!
I honestly don't know, time will tell I expect. There's certainly plenty of mumbo available, with some nice slippery bodywork I dare say she might tip close to 100+kmh over the scale 1/4. Given some more room I suspect she might get up a decent head of steam, but I cannot say for sure how fast it would end up going.

Cheers,
Smithy.

kenazzo2000 11-04-2008 11:11 PM

1 Attachment(s)
hi knobby1 i had problems with glitching as well but i think ive solved everything il be doing my first maiden run on saturday fingers crossed i wish we lived near so we could race each other for fun we would make a nice show have fun

Beasley1 11-05-2008 01:51 PM

Im assuming you will be back to post a video? ;)

knobby1 11-05-2008 02:26 PM

ORIGINAL: kenazzo2000

hi knobby1 i had problems with glitching as well but i think ive solved everything il be doing my first maiden run on saturday fingers crossed i wish we lived near so we could race each other for fun we would make a nice show have fun
Hey Ken,
Well done, I hope she works for you, be sure to take some video for all to see. There's not many of these things around so the more the merrier!!

Cheers,
Smithy.

kenazzo2000 11-06-2008 09:37 AM

yes i will im supposed to make the maiden run on saturday fingers crossed

kenazzo2000 11-06-2008 09:39 AM

yes smithy i will when your dragster is ready with the body and colours send us one mate even a video please