Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

how to make drift tires?

Search this Thread

Old 03-21-2013, 08:34 AM
MrShinyPig

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default how to make drift tires?

so i currently have a hpi 1/8 ken block ford fiesta, and i cant find any drift tires with a 80mm width, there all like 40mm or less, so making them is my only option, just how do i do it? i looked on youtube and cant find anything, if anyone can tell me, or post a video, that would be great
Old 03-22-2013, 11:40 AM
gokemidoro

Default RE: how to make drift tires?

You have found the problem why most drift cars are 1/10th scale. No one makes drift tires for 1/8th scale. Just be aware that PVC does NOT make a good drift tire, no matter what anyone says.As a last resort, you can wrap the tires with electrical tape until someone (if they ever do) comes out with drift-specific tires for 1/8th scale. My own prediction would be HPI, themselves, but whether they even have any in the works is the question. It's either that, or trade in the Fiesta for a 1/10th scale.Those really are your only options, at the moment. Sorry.
Old 03-22-2013, 01:38 PM
Mastertaco

PVC dose not work really.. but ABS(black tubing) works just fine i make my own tires(1/10th scale) using 2" abs tubing measure cut and grind them down to make them look nice then cut a diagonal cross grove.

what you do to find the right size of tubing is take one of your rims(just the rim no tire) to the hardware store Ask them where ABS tubing is then try to stick one side of your rim into the tube(dont put it all the way in unless you wont be able to get it back out lol) look for a tube has a nice tight squeeze around the rim, get about 2' of it then then find where the large diameter orings are get 4 of them that have to barely stretch to fit around the rim and make sure they are thick enough so they will grip to the abs tubing that you stick over the rim

in other words make sure when you put the o ring on its so tight you have to force the abs on around it

if i had a better camera i would record my process(maybe when tt gets nicer and drifting picks back up around here where i live.)

Old 03-22-2013, 03:16 PM
gokemidoro

ORIGINAL: Mastertaco

PVC dose not work really.. but ABS(black tubing) works just fine i make my own tires(1/10th scale) using 2" abs tubing measure cut and grind them down to make them look nice then cut a diagonal cross grove.

what you do to find the right size of tubing is take one of your rims(just the rim no tire) to the hardware store Ask them where ABS tubing is then try to stick one side of your rim into the tube(dont put it all the way in unless you wont be able to get it back out lol) look for a tube has a nice tight squeeze around the rim, get about 2' of it then then find where the large diameter orings are get 4 of them that have to barely stretch to fit around the rim and make sure they are thick enough so they will grip to the abs tubing that you stick over the rim

in other words make sure when you put the o ring on its so tight you have to force the abs on around it

if i had a better camera i would record my process(maybe when tt gets nicer and drifting picks back up around here where i live.)

The process can be found here:raikoudrifttires.com
Old 04-18-2013, 09:10 PM
adam911

thanks for sharing this here. my one friend was thinking to make PVC tires for his car but I think this will better than PVC.

Old 04-28-2013, 09:22 PM
judithangels

Thanks for sharing such a nice information! It is really useful for me to make drift tires for my Cyclon Subaru RC car.

Old 04-28-2013, 11:19 PM
Charles gray

www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Dq_9UELcUM
www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5B-n5MC5ec

check out these videos may you found some way to make drift tires.