Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

New forum Member and also new to rc drifting

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

New forum Member and also new to rc drifting

Old 02-08-2015, 09:37 PM
infamousgtiguy

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New forum Member and also new to rc drifting

Hey guys, first of all I want to introduce myself. I'm Brandon, 20 years old. I currently only own a quadcopter that records video (absolutely love that feature!) and a sprint 2 flux. I've only had the flux for a few days, it is my first rc car that I've ever had and I'm a car enthusiast so I thought it would fit in with my car hobby.

My question is. what is necessary to turn this hpi sprint 2 flux in to a drift build? First thing I'm getting is of course a lipo battery and smart charger, and then a brushless motor and an esc to go with the new motor, I don't know EXACTLY what brand or anything that I'm buying yet but I do remember the associate at hobby town showing me a nice esc that was tune-able on many different levels and I believe it was 80 dollars.

Everything seems a bit overwhelming. It seems like a LOT of information right now so I'm hoping somebody can just dumb it all down for me. I've been reading and researching as much as I can yet it still seems like there is endless information.

Thank you all in advance for the help. I am actually heading to debbies rc world tomorrow (its closer than hobby town thus easier on me) to check out their products as well.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:17 PM
jason wiggins

Hey man. Im new into drifting or counter steer cars. You will here a lot of people use cs when talking about drift cars. Now the people at hobby town will direct you to the high dollar end of things. Hobbywing products are grate and do everything the high dollar esc do. As for lipo batteries visciousteknology,value hobby,hobbyking,smc, and promatch makes some very good products. Visciousteknology and hobbyking makes some very good motors at a great price point. Its awesome that your a local guy as well. Im located over in Portsmouth 
Old 02-22-2015, 07:36 PM
infamousgtiguy

oh wow awesome another local, as a local be sure to join the facebook groups rc swap & sell of hampton roads, virginia rc-talk-trade-sale, and sucka free rc, i found all three of them full of helpful people.

Also, a few days after I posted this i figured out the only issue was tires, to drift. stock hpi sprint 2 hitting corners and donuts around cones like it was made for it now.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:44 PM
jason wiggins

Now the main things to turn your sprint car into a drift car is replacing the stock rubber tires with plastic drift tires. The other thing is to change to weight of the oil in your shocks to a thicker weight so that way you can apply more power and get the back end out to start your drift
Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 PM
infamousgtiguy

I already have the hard plastic tires, I didn't know that the shocks on a sprint 2 had oil in them? I might have completely missed that in the manual..I guess I shouldn't skim those lol

I know my ecx circuit 4x4 does because I read through that in the manual, I guess I missed it in the sprint 2 manual.
Old 02-22-2015, 07:55 PM
jason wiggins

Every hobby grade rc is going to come with oil filled shocks. Adjusting your camber angles will help alot as well. You will want negative camber witch is the top of the tire pulled in and the bottom pushed out. That will make the car react more consistently. What radio system are you using?
Old 02-22-2015, 08:03 PM
infamousgtiguy

Everything is stock except for the plastic tires and aluminum parts
Old 02-23-2015, 04:43 AM
jason wiggins

I would definitely recommend upgrading your radio system to one that you can adjust your end points and exponential. Flysky makes a great radio system for a fraction of the price of spektrum or futoba
Old 02-24-2015, 07:43 PM
jason wiggins

Have to say loving the snow someone needs to open up a kick ass indor drift track
Old 03-12-2015, 01:43 PM
338federal

I am new at drifting cars and new forum member. First car i ordered yesterday and maybe tomorrow i will make a test run. Car is team associated scion greedy drifter. Have monster truck kyosho not driving in many years. I fly rc helicopter almost of my rc time. We are two old farts to try drifting.
Old 03-12-2015, 03:57 PM
jason wiggins

That's awesome. The thing about drifting is that it really doesn't matter what the make of the car is. The thing is just have fun with it and dont pressure yourself. It all comes with time. I started out just driving figure 8s and then setting the drift to do a full drift figure 8