Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Novak610 HRV ESC cut out

Old 06-14-2020, 09:05 PM
cabbage25

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Novak610 HRV ESC cut out

Hey everybody. I recently decided to dig up my old Tamiya TL01 and converted it to a RWD drift car. It runs on the original Mabuchi brushed motor with a NOVAK 610 HRV esc, which supposedly handles up to 10 cells or 12v. As my packs of NiMh have died I purchased a 3s lipo hoping to get it going again but the throttle cuts out after every few runs and I realised the heatsinks were super hot. The lipos are rated at 50C and I wonder if that's too much for the esc to handle? Should I downgrade to 2s and what discharge rate should I go for?
Old 06-15-2020, 03:29 AM
rgburrill

Received 45 Likes on 43 Posts

Discharge rating is what the battery can do, not what it will do. The current required is determined by the ESC and motor. Why don't people understand that?

It seems to me the problem is the LIPO voltage is too high. 3.7 volts is a nominal voltage per cell on a LIPO but by no means the maximum. You can easily get 14 volts out of a 3S LIPO. I'd try going back to a NiMH battery and see if it fixes the problem.

Last edited by rgburrill; 06-15-2020 at 03:31 AM.