Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

ABS,PVC,Electrical tape,tire rings are for cheaters

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

ABS,PVC,Electrical tape,tire rings are for cheaters

Old 09-07-2004, 05:09 PM
one-syk

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ABS,PVC,Electrical tape,tire rings are for cheaters

i dont understand why everyone is all hyped up over using some kind of cheat to get thier car to drift?..whats so hard about drifting on hard compound rubber tires and a little rear camber?...everyone is diffrent i guess but for me i like realism..which is why i bought a nitro 1/10 car..i like the realism of setting up suspension, i like to have my eyes burned by nitro fuel, i like the heat,rubber metal..i like actual drifting not this cheating bandwagon everyone is jumping on...all im saying is has anyone on this forum sucessfully been able to drift with good old fashioned CAR SETUP or is everyone looking for the easy way out?..i personally like drifting with car setup and i dont think im ever gonna try using some cheat to slide..sorry for the rant but sometimes it seems like noone is using thier head any more to come up with good ideas to accomplish a good D1 setup[&o]
Old 09-07-2004, 05:29 PM
aznx2fine

Default RE: ABS,PVC,Electrical tape,tire rings are for cheaters

Need to reread RCU policies and stop using cuss words in posts.
Old 09-07-2004, 05:34 PM
aznx2fine

hmmmm....i cam off a little harsh....hmmm...my bad
Old 09-07-2004, 06:39 PM
one-syk

damn man..i wasnt "knockin" anything..i just dont see why everyone is jumping on the drifting bandwagon and then getting the cheater tire mods to drift with out even knowing anything about drifting..im just saying i dont understand why everyone wants to drift all of a sudden and then 90% of the people dont even know what the hell they are doing besides "sliding around turns" because its the cool thing to do...i want people to know what drifting is, how it works, and why it works..and yes i have clutch kicked my mk2 many times before i sold it [sm=thumbup.gif]..i didnt mean to start a "e-argument"..i just want all the bandwagoner's to learn a thing or two
Old 09-07-2004, 06:52 PM
kh15

one-syk i agree with you i have drifted in my local parking lot with friends and i just modified my rear suspenshion a little and i was drifting perfectly, i agree its a waste of money to buy all this stuff to help you car drift when you can do it with a couple turns of a turnbuckle!
Old 09-07-2004, 09:10 PM
aznx2fine

ORIGINAL: one-syk

damn man..i wasnt "knockin" anything..i just dont see why everyone is jumping on the drifting bandwagon and then getting the cheater tire mods to drift with out even knowing anything about drifting..im just saying i dont understand why everyone wants to drift all of a sudden and then 90% of the people dont even know what the hell they are doing besides "sliding around turns" because its the cool thing to do...i want people to know what drifting is, how it works, and why it works..and yes i have clutch kicked my mk2 many times before i sold it [sm=thumbup.gif]..i didnt mean to start a "e-argument"..i just want all the bandwagoner's to learn a thing or two

ok, now you put it that way, i COMPLETELY agree lol, especially the part about ppl not knowing what the hell drift means, i've been into the motorsport since 6 years ago when i first heard about it from japan, it finally reaches north america and ppl r goin crazy thinkin its cool to lose traction, when really it's all skill. but yeah, i jus didn't like the fact u were knocking on "stepping stones" for r/c drifting. but i guess i misunderstood..my bad
Old 09-08-2004, 02:20 PM
creyc

The idea of using plastic tires and tuning the car opposite that you would from grip racing sounded interesting enough to me to go out and buy a TC3 kit which I have yet to drive so far. It's sitting there waiting for electronics and I'm wondering if I should still even try drifting. I guess because I have never drifted a real car I shouldn't be allowed to have fun with a little toy model with completely different physical restraints. Maybe I'm jumping on the bandwagon, maybe I've been wanting to do this since I first saw a video of a group of RC's sliding around in some videos online; does it matter so much to you that drifting is becoming popular? I would think that's a good thing, growth means more choices from popular manufactures and better support.

If using PVC and ABS pipe segments over the wheels is such a bad choice why is it so popular? A similar product is even being manufactured just for this purpose in the form of drift rings, clearly there's got to be reason behind this. Perhaps you have managed to perfect your skill of drifting using plastic pipes, in which case congratulations. Go drift a monster truck. But I do not understand any of your arguments against using these "cheats" for RC drifting. It sounds like your trying to follow the route of realism, and that's a reasonable argument but when you go on to say "it seems like noone is using thier head any more" that just comes off as completely untrue and more than that just plain rude. I'm sure the one who first decided to try placing pieces of scrap PVC on his wheels to overcome the traction to get longer drifts. That to me sounds like innovation.

I think I'll side with Machiavelli on this. After-all, a good drift is the end goal, why should it matter how it's accomplished? Also, if your goal is to make sure the "bandwagoner's to learn a thing or two", why don't you take some of that responsibility upon yourself to teach us?
Old 09-08-2004, 03:20 PM
frozen

I got sick of reading the BS so I skipped to my post. People don't want to waste money on buying new rubbers all the time becasue they like to drift. ABS is cheap (10cdn for 6 feet) and it lasts LONG.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:24 PM
creyc

I'm sorry if you felt that was all BS.
Old 09-08-2004, 03:41 PM
T-MAN-iR

RC Car rubber gets expensive if all you want to do is drift. I have a CEN CT4S and it drifts nice with out any (instead of drifting cheats) "drifting helps". But know my tires are so woaren from doing high speed drifts that its hard to keep a straight line with out spinning out. Also, depending on the type of surface you are drifting on depends on how much you ware out your tires. I am near an air field that I can run my car on and the tires grip really good on the landing pad, for helicopters. But doing drifts on the tarmat really wares on the tires. I also have access to a hanger. The surface in there is great for drifting but not good for high speed runs do to the "glazed" concret. My friend and I have really good video of some great drifting in the hanger and on the air field. All the footage was done with out any "drifting helps". What I see using "drifting helps", is to save on burning your tires out. So when your ready for the high speed passes, you want to know your tires are good, just take off the "drifting helps". Hopefully I will beable to get the footage we taped on this website or another so others can see.

Later
Old 09-08-2004, 04:07 PM
one-syk

$15 bucks for new rubber tires is expensive?..looks like some people need to ask mommy for a bigger alowance...its sad to hear that some people think adding hard plastic to thier rear tires= drifting andf what im trying to say is B.S....thats just plain sad...those kind of people just annoy the hell out of me...dirfting is a fun and challenging thing talent to accomplish(if done correctly) and over all can help you even in grip races...but just slapping some cheater rear tires on the car and thinking your in 2 fast 2 furious is just retarted..learn how to set your car up and then learn how to use it..im done with this thread..ill stick around the forum though because it seems like there are some cool people hanging around in the drift forum..ill just have to deal with the cheaters[sm=tired.gif]..later
Old 09-09-2004, 12:15 AM
T-MAN-iR

Hold on a min!! I never said that tires were expensive! I said that tires can get expensive. And a good set of tires are more than $15. If you have a 4wd car you end up having to replace the front and rear tires. I don't have to ask MOMMY for anything! I want more upgrades to make my car faster and have better handling than just buying tires for drifting.

All I have to say is...If you can't say something nice DON"T SAY IT!!!! Don't start bashing what people are doing. If they want to use helps then let them or if they want to just use rubber thats good too. You don't know everyones budgets. Not everyone lives with MOMMY and DADDY!
Old 09-09-2004, 06:46 AM
slowed2drift

hey you guys... hope you can find that perfect road for drifting using those 1/10 cars of yours... the reason some people cannot use rubber and the so called yokomo drift tires is that not all can afford and find a race track or road wherein they can drift perfectly... i just drift my car on plain road used by REAL CARS... i can only drift about 180+ degrees around a dot i paint on the streed using a tamiya type A tyres... no matter how many times you adjust that turnbuckle... if you can drift on our streets like the way they do on JAPAN... i will call you a god!!! all i want is to have fun to drift the car and the guys watching it... if there is a tournament for drifting then they should provide a track that you can drift... i think that would be a very shiny road... if you play need for speed underground... you'll notice the tract is a slippery track... and if you don't have a slippery track... you gotta use slippery tyres... like ABS, PVC (no one replied on my post where to get one thank you) and putting tape on tyres... but putting tape on tyres requires a huge amount of patience, time and money... well i just wanna share my point of view... thank you [&o]
Old 09-09-2004, 09:34 AM
one-syk

lol...see what i mean..people compare drifting to need for speed underground..thats just sad...
Old 09-09-2004, 01:22 PM
Dannyhaddon

how is it sad? if i didnt use clear tape on my wheels then i wudnt have any wheels left. whats the way to make the car drift without usin tape?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:13 PM
creyc

Without using PVC, ABS or tape the way to get a car to drift is to reduce the amount of traction in the back and keep traction at the front. Usually the easiest way to do this is adjust the camber of the rear wheels, tilt the wheel a bit so when sliding the car is running on the edge of the tire pretty much. The less surface area of the tire on the road, the smaller the contact patch and therefore the less traction you'll have, making drifting easier to accomplish. Of course the condition of the road plays an important factor in this, a very rough and pitted surface will not let the car slide out. You need a smoothly paved surface to get predictable drifts, hitting a bump while sideways can easily make you either spin out or rotate back the opposite way and end the drift. You want traction up front because you don't want the car to completely spin out, the front needs to track through the turn while the back moves out. So while the suspension needs to be set very stiff in the rear you want a more supple ride up front.

I understand where one-sky is coming from on this topic, and i can tell he is quite knowledgeable on this topic. I can see why one can be as angry as this, dealing with all the beginner "hotshots" or so called band wagoners, but there are better ways to voice your opinion. (and definitely without sounding as immature) I'd also like to see you go into some of these things for all the beginners out there, myself included as you said you wanted to teach us all a thing or two. Besides, you keep stating how wrong people can be for comparing RC drifting to full scale drifting or need for speed or other games. It would be helpful if you could maybe get us off onto the right path towards understanding this.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:52 PM
one-syk

im always trying to teach people of the other option(car setup) besided just telling them to go and buy some cheat's..if you look around i do try to help people set up thier cars but it seems everyone just want to do things the easy way and not learn anything about actual drifting and car setup...oh well..i try.. and ill keep trying until i have a whole rcuniverse.com D1 squad and they will all use proper car setup and rubber tires to drift..
Old 09-09-2004, 09:44 PM
creyc

That's cool, I've not seen too many posts in this forum, I usually spend my time at the MT forum. For starters, mind explaining D1? The only D1 I know of is my Nikon D1 digital camera. heh

(Would it have anything to do with the D1GP?)
Old 09-09-2004, 10:02 PM
slowed2drift

ok... i'll use stock slick tyres at the rear... those tyres are no good... is it better without inserts?.. nevermind i'll just post the difference... no cam to show it to you guys... im still striving to find a job... anyway this is good... hear you guys trying to help... i'll find a way to drift in a no cheating fashion... [&o]
Old 09-10-2004, 02:19 PM
AceInHole

using ABS/ PVC/ Tape etc is car setup.
Old 09-10-2004, 04:17 PM
one-syk

by D1 im talking about drifting competitors..yes d1 grand prix is where i stole it from...lol....
Old 09-11-2004, 10:45 AM
AceInHole

so while you're at it, you'll start using a front engine RWD chassis just because it's more "realistic"??
Old 09-11-2004, 11:06 AM
one-syk

maybe if i had the hpi drift conversion for nitro cars but its only been released in japan for now..once it comes to the states my car will be front engine rear drive
Old 09-11-2004, 12:44 PM
AceInHole

sweet. i'd like to go nitro just to have an exhaust at the back with a triggered spark for some flame action, but i'm just into this stuff for fun.
Old 09-11-2004, 07:21 PM
creyc

Dunno what kinda fuel you would use for that flame out the back, because the methanol based nitro fuel burns transparently.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.