Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

drifting nitro vs electric

Old 12-03-2004, 05:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default drifting nitro vs electric

im new to the idea of drifting rc cars, seems a lot safer then drifting my 1973 mercury monterey and cheaper

but my question is which do u think is better for drifting?

i like nitro rc over electric personaly becasue i like the longer run times and annoying the neighbors

im looking for cheap

i fount the tamiya subaru rally car for 200 RTR nitro and thing that sint the rally cars drift offroad that i could probably drift it onroad

what are the top 3 nitro and top 3 electric modles best used in drifting in your opinions
Old 12-08-2004, 01:13 AM
Banned

Default RE: drifting nitro vs electric

imo RWD nitro would own all in drifting. But eletric can do well to. When i had my 13T stampede that puppy would drift nice!
now on my mammoth when i turn it into 2wd, ya i OOWWWN all.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:48 PM
Banned

what r u talkin about!.... a 4wd electric will kill a 2wd nitro!...... and 4wd!... cause there's more torque and smoother power band!... my lhs has a drift track... and some nitros try but there not that good!... electric is better!
Old 12-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Banned

I just like my 2wd.... and i was only speaking from my opinioin.... my mammoth could drift way more than my 13T stamped
Old 12-11-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

i guess u just gotta know how to drive
Old 12-11-2004, 07:34 PM

i drift my over powered 2wd xtr3e it aint all that hard on a dusty car park and my tc3 would own all of u doing over 40ft drifts and my cen ct4s aint bad either at drifting when the tyres dont come off
Old 12-11-2004, 10:06 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: cossie

i drift my over powered 2wd xtr3e it aint all that hard on a dusty car park and my tc3 would own all of u doing over 40ft drifts and my cen ct4s aint bad either at drifting when the tyres dont come off

It's not a drift unless u can counter steer!.... and if u don't it's jus a really long slide!!!! i do them with my evader all the time!!!
Old 12-11-2004, 11:42 PM

From my experience electric 4WD is better for drifting than nitro... Reasons being is that when electric is given throttle the power is there... Now i know that some nitro cars are the same way but just think about it. Also you want a 4WD... In full scale 4WD isn't good for drifting because the cars are much heavier and don't spin as much... So for full scale you want a RWD... For R/C 4WD is best because of the light weight we are dealing with and with all 4 wheels spinning, it makes it more controllable and less like a "fishtail". Don't know if this made any sense but that is the way i see it...
Old 12-12-2004, 12:56 AM

yes, nicely stated epicrc10. 4wd drive is muct more practical in r/c scale. to futher reiterate, its all about physics and the properties of scaling. if you took a real rwd car, such as a d1 drift car, and shrunk the car down to 1/10 the size, the car would weight 100 times less because weight is a property of volume. here is a simple example:

compare a cube (#1) with a size length of 1 and a cube (#2) with a side length of 2.
cube #2 is 2 times bigger in terms of length than cube #1
however, cube #2 is 8 times larger in terms of volume, just do the math
cube #1 1x1x1=1 cubic unit
cube #2 2x2x2=8 cubic units
that means that that although cube #2 is twice as long as cube #1, it weighs 8 times as much

so if you really did take a 2wd d1 competition drift car and shrunk it down to 1/10 scale, all it would do is spin out beacuase of the significant weight loss, and therefore, tire spin. thats why you need the control of 4wd to compensate. and if you really want to talk about 2wd vs. 4wd, just look at all the serious and good r/c drifters out there; they all use 4wd touring chassis.

now to answer gwgiest's original question. any 4wd touring platform is good. some popular choices are hpi's pro 4, tc3, xxx-s, but if you want a cheaper car, a trinity tspec or any 4wd drive tamiya would work well.
try to go with electric instead of nitro. nitro may be cool, but all the throttle you are gonna put is not healthy for a nitro engine, and its much easier to drift with an electric because of al the available torque. how much more? a pk2 stock motor has more than twice the torque of any .15.

hope this helps and happy drifting to all.
Old 12-12-2004, 01:43 AM
Banned

i got a 2.6hp engine
Old 12-12-2004, 01:59 AM

very nice ithurtz... a 2.6 hp is great, but do you have torque numbers? =P if you ran a dyno on your engine, you would probably run numbers around 100 nm of torque.. thats where most competition .21 engines range. its all about torque when it comes to drifting. and assuming you have a .21 engine or bigger, you also have a bigger than touring size car. while your car can probably crush mine, the power to weight ratio would not be very good compared to a touring car with over 200 nm of torque. 2.6 hp is alot of hp, but again, it is all about torque, not hp, when it comes to drifting...nitro just has no low end torque when compared to electric. try going around to differet drift forums out there, virtually all serious drifters prefer electric.

btw, impressive bench you got there... i'm still only 17 years old, 140 pounds, benching 185 2 reps... part of my small size has to do with my fast metabolism and the fact that i run track... no way i'm getting big anytime
Old 12-12-2004, 02:03 AM

oh yea, i also have a gs storm with an o.s .21

i have run both electric and nitro, so i can compare!
Old 12-12-2004, 02:14 AM
Banned

Ya thats one thing I miss about my pede. As soon as i punched the throttle id be doing dounuts and fishtales no prob. It takes my mammoth a little bit so the rpms can climb then it goes nuts. I see what ur saying about torque though.

haha thanks for noticing my bench [8D] ya that track running sure is gonna keep the size off of ya, but ur prob lean as hell!

nice buggy btw. I woulda gotten a buggy If i wasnt so much into running things over and jumpin!
thats my big boy

Old 12-12-2004, 02:19 AM

damn, thats a nice truck [X(]... i love the roll cage.. definetly adds tons of style and performance points! probably one of the most unique trucks i have seen. thumbs up to ya!
Old 12-12-2004, 03:55 AM
Banned

Thanks man! Ya the roll cage Has only been installed for 3 days.. Cost me 160$ to get custom made. You wouldnt beleive how strong the rollcage makes the truck. It's tied into the front and rear shock towers. 2 screws that screw it into the rear chassis, and 4 bolts bolting the bottom of the cage to the chassis itself... There is now NO SUCH THING as chassis flex. its IMPOSSIBLE.

Thanks again man
Old 12-15-2004, 02:54 AM

my drifto

Bader

KUWAIT
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Zx70372.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	203177  
Old 12-16-2004, 01:52 AM

That looks sweet, I like what you did with the wheels and tires.
Old 12-24-2004, 07:28 AM

DONT GET ELECTRIC nitro are way better at everything and are faster and louder and fun to drive full speed into your friends... im mean yeah ill get a pic of mine...soon...ish
Old 12-24-2004, 03:54 PM
Banned

DONT GET ELECTRIC nitro are way better at everything and are faster and louder and fun to drive full speed into your friends... im mean yeah ill get a pic of mine...soon...ish
What ever..... i'd own u with my buddys tt-01!!!! electrics have tonnes of bottom end torque... nitro has none!!!!... yea... sure nitro is really fast in a straightaway!!!... but u not lookin' 4 50 mph when u drift!!!!... u lookin' 2 turn u car sideways not goin 50 mph thru a turn!!!....and still the world speed record 4 a r/c is 111 mph!!!. and thats electirc!!!!... no nitro r/c comes close 2 that!!!![>:][>:][>:][X(][sm=punching.gif] and in a striaght line my electric evader is faster then most savages and t-maxxes!!!... i can get it up close to 51 mph!!!! with really tall gearing!!!....!!! i raced in a sport truckzilla savage at school and i smoked em' by 7 feet!!!!!
Old 12-25-2004, 06:56 PM

ORIGINAL: S.A.E.W.O.T.

and still the world speed record 4 a r/c is 111 mph!!!. and thats electirc!!!!... no nitro r/c comes close 2 that
Actually, an HPI on-road with insanely tall gearing made 108mph, so it's not fair to say that nitros, "can't even come close"; I think it was in 01', but don't quote me on that.