Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Drift car set-up

Old 11-25-2005, 10:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Drift car set-up

My car has an over steering problem. It's ok when turning on wide an wide radius at high speed but on tighter corners it tends to oversteer and spin even at very low speeds. My inital reaction is to take a spacer out of the rear shocks to gain more rear grip to 'push' it out of the corners, but would I be better changing the mounting position of the shocks? i.e. setting it to pull more out of the corners?
Old 11-25-2005, 08:36 PM

Default RE: Drift car set-up

hmm.... try lossening your front diff, and also try tightening it as well, i know one of those will help ya a little, taking out a spacer will also help, idk if its the shocks that are really gonna help you out, are you using a particular surface, or are u talking about this in general, i love helping out, but ive never had this problem, its always understeer for me.

btw are u talking about this in a drifting standpoint???
Old 11-25-2005, 08:40 PM

i think tightening your front diff is going to help you out now that i think about it, it will keep both the front wheels at the same speed through corners, but it might induce spinning as well, try tweaking around with it, im not positive, starting with the shocks is your safest bet, and if its more than the shocks, then i would crack open the gearbox, thats just my 2 cents, good luck!
Old 11-25-2005, 09:54 PM

if your oversteering then you would need to tighten or lock your rear diff. and something that helped me a little is on the remote if the steering knob not steering trim, but the one that limits how much your wheels turn, so turn it down so you cant turn it as much, i had the same problems when i first started out but i did these two things and now its better.
Old 11-25-2005, 10:05 PM
Banned

With oversteer, you may have a lot of different problems, which could include the shocks, camber, and differentials. When you're starting off, have your shocks as soft as possible by adjusting preload and/or shock mounting positions. Then, if you can adjust your camber, set camber on all four corner to zero. And if you have ball diffs, try slightly tightening your front diff, or loosening your rear.
Old 11-26-2005, 10:48 AM

skylingtr348 tightening your rear diff wont compinsate the spinning at all, infact it might even add to the problem, i think royjovero hit the nail on the head with the camber setting, when he told me the 90 degree trick, its been working wonders for my car.
Old 11-30-2005, 09:06 AM

You guys never talk about diff lock clay. Does anyone use that? (Since i picked some up today)
Old 11-30-2005, 04:38 PM

if you have a ball diff, then u dont have to use that, u can just tighten it up a lot using a hex wrench, people usually use a hot glue gun if they dont have a ball diff, mostly because its cheap, and is able to come off, make sure that doesnt permenently seal your diff, if u ever change your set up to race or whatever if ur done with drifting, good luck.
Old 12-01-2005, 09:10 AM

Nah, I don't have a ball diff, but this clay seems completely reversible so I'll give it a shot.

BTW, softening up all the suspension did a really good job on the handling. Also, I took all the toe out off (on the front) so the wheels were straight. It all made a big difference. Thanks guys.

Not to lock the diffs. It keeps spinning uncontrollably at really low speeds - I guess coz of the diffs.

Sorry to edit - should I just lock the front diff? or both?
Old 12-01-2005, 03:52 PM

no, leave the front diff untouched, and only lock the rear diff
Old 12-03-2005, 06:11 PM

Sounds like your car is still set up for grip racing, I'd do this:

Softest front springs you can get your hands on with slightly stiffer rears
Oil not important so 30WT is fine
0° camber all round (with ABS/PVC/PE)
2.5° rear toe-in
1° front toe-out
Get rid of any roll bars
I much prefer loose smooth diffs and no one-ways
Change your driving style, in drifting your throttle should be fluid, constantly changing to suit traction, it's totally different to grip racing

Kev
Old 12-12-2005, 06:47 AM

OK. Thanks guys, I did all the stuff you said and it all helped. (Lock rear diff, soft suspension, straigtening up the geometry etc..)

But since I'm running nitro my biggest problem with PVC is a lack of traction. I def. need some hard rubber. Problem is, I don't think I can get it with rims the size of mine. (60mm diameter, 35mm width). Anyone make drift rubber in this size? What else could I do?
Old 12-12-2005, 10:25 AM

Get HPI drift tires. They're made specifically for nitros.

Also, yea, locking the rear differential is a must for drifting. Don't tell me you didn't do that in the first place?
Old 12-13-2005, 04:27 AM

Nah - I did that (lock the rear diff.)

What are the diameters of the hpi tires. I looked at the website but they say 26mm and 30mm, but surely they mean the width of the tire and not the diameter.

Sorry to edit again - does anyone the diameters of the hpi drift tires? I assume they are all standard for 10th scale, but I dunno. Since I have a super 10 the tires are slightly larger I think.