Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2006, 03:29 PM
fred0000

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: HOW DO YOU DRIFT WITH JUST 2WDRIVE?????

dont let these guys talk you out of drifting the 2WD if thats what you want to do, do it. it would be great to do cause once you master it your that muich better then all of these trash talkers. i would really like to see pics of your ride, could that be aranged?
Old 06-13-2006, 08:24 PM
driftdriftdrift
My Feedback: (1)

wait so how does expressing an opinion become trash talking? i know a few of the guys here are seasoned rc drifters. they've tried most all types of rc drift. what we are saying is that 2wd drift is harder than what its worth. not saying its impossible. if you can do it more power to you but try and go up to a competition with 4WD and its gaurenteed you will get slaughtered. they will have better angle, more control, longer drifts. I admit it would be fun to see some RWD dorifto goin on, that would be hot, but for the show aspects of it and the fun factor i would say that 4wd is going to win it over. i know its been said before but the physics between 1:1 drift and 1:10 drift are just too different. if you can set up a front motored RWD rc i think it would make more sense to try the RWD drift. so this trash talking that you are speaking of isnt trash talk at all.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:02 PM
fred0000

i see what you mean, i totaly understand and agree with where your coming from, ya drifitng RWD could be easy but it wont be as impressive then like a 20 foot drift (i have no idea how far they drift i have not recieved my first drift RC yet, less then 5 days till its here BTW) well have fun and..well i cant wait to get out there and drift
Old 06-14-2006, 09:18 AM
Neon_guy

Okay. Here's the fun factor of r/c drifting. It's pretty easy and doesn't take a lot of money or modification, given the right setup. And once you get the hang of it, You just throw in a battery and go. However, with RWD, you can't just do that. You're going to have to tune and modify or possibly fabricate a setup. And then, the same quality drifts aren't garunteed. On top of that, to do most of the stuff I've read mentioned in these boards to get a RWD car isn't going to be the cheapest or most hassle free process. And even then, consistancy isn't garunteed. The issue initially seemed to be that this kid didn't want to spend a lot of money or do a whole helluva lot to have fun with his r/c. Well, all this stuff people keep talking about negates both of those points.
Nobody's saying you CAN'T drift RWD. But for the time and effort it takes, is it really worth it? Sure, if you want to do a project and just have something to say that you did, do a RWD rc and get it competitive with 4wd. But, going thru all of that isn't why I got into r/c drifting. I got in it to have a lot of fun. And having to fabricate and re-adjust a gabillion parts everytime i go out, just to pull off a couple of s-curves at best, isn't my idea of fun.

2wdrifter, it's like this. If you want to "crack the code" of RWD rc, then do that. I'm sure most people would agree, it'd be cool to watch. But, if you're just trying to have a little fun at the expense of a straight line, then 4WD is the way to go. It really just comes down to what you're willing to put up with and do. That's just my $.02
Old 06-15-2006, 03:36 PM
2WDrifter

im not spending a whole lot on the car. if i can crack the RWD rc drifting code, then just about anyone could drift if they wanted.

And im going to post my car's pics when its done(in about 3 weeks.) I think its going to turn out pretty good. after all, im just starting on the painting stuff. easy on the flaming if you dont like the car.
Old 06-15-2006, 03:53 PM
color0

no worries there; i'm just going to have to crack the code before you do.

sorry to be redundant, but i never caught on as to what chassis you were using... i only know of one cheap 2WD RC that's not from toys 'r us, and that's the hpi dash. confirm/refute?
Old 06-15-2006, 04:16 PM
2WDrifter

i think its a new bright or hpi

the system sucks, although it is fast enought to drift with.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:49 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Must be a NewBright.
Old 06-15-2006, 04:52 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Is it this one? http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXKEK0&P=7
Old 06-15-2006, 04:53 PM
2WDrifter

thanks yor the ID of my car's manufacturer ROY

yep. thats it.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:04 PM
Combatcm

Well, we should give him one thing, "drifting" a larger 2wd is easier to control than a smaller one.

You should put some lead weight in the back. Buy some lead weight and stack about 12oz or so on the rear bumper. Maybe tape 3 or 4 D size batteries to get some weight in the back. Or maybe use a couple rolls of pennies.

http://www2.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDS32&P=ML

I think in order to drift a 2wd vehicle you need to put an unheard of amount of weight on the rear bumper. This is to unweight the front wheels as much as possible.
Old 06-15-2006, 07:10 PM
ROYjovero
Banned

Heavily loaded rear + unloaded front = understeer.

2WD cars will need to be modded to have a 25/25/25/25 corner weighting, or at least as close to 50/50 F/R weight distribution as possible.
Old 06-16-2006, 03:09 AM
color0

with a 1/6 car, you might get away with 50/50, but for my micros, more weight = more traction, and therefore a rearward bias is necessary.

understeer is the goal in RC drifting... without it, you won't get any more angle than your steering lock. you have to utilize controlled understeer to drift RWD. i dunno if you're familiar with mini-Z's, but the previous reason is why an MM mini-z is harder to drift than an RM with an equivalent setup. there's just more rear traction and stability afforded by placing more weight on the rear wheels.

again, i don't know how to drive a 1/6; i assume it would be like driving a go kart. therefore, all i can say is: countersteer f-ing early.
Old 06-16-2006, 07:52 AM
Combatcm

ORIGINAL: ROYjovero

Heavily loaded rear + unloaded front = understeer.

2WD cars will need to be modded to have a 25/25/25/25 corner weighting, or at least as close to 50/50 F/R weight distribution as possible.
So you are telling me, with a rear weight bias, that when you fully peg the throttle using drift tires the car will understeer?

If the rear tires break traction under power, they are going to swing out if the fronts are trying to turn, they will always oversteer.

I almost guarantee, the trick with 2wd cars is to put as much weight in the back as possible. Something like 60/40 or even 70/30. Or possibly even more.

I'm picking a fight here, as long as you try to understand what I'm saying.

I have a TL-01 and some relatively grippy hpi dift tires, I might move the battery to the back and try this.

Old 06-16-2006, 10:34 AM
driftdriftdrift

but a tl-01 is 4wd so it wouldnt be the same as adding rear weight to a RWD. adding more weight to the rear would make it have more traction because theres moreweight on them and even if you did break them out your car would probably whip right around because the front wheels would have nothing because of weight on the back. so yes you would oversteer but you would have no chance of recovering and spin.

if you added weight in the front then the rear tires would slide out easier and you might have some interia working towards your steering. if anything you want the RWD drift to be balanced so its like you're not just fishtailin.
Old 06-16-2006, 01:18 PM
2WDrifter

I agree with driftdriftdrift. i added weight in front and my car can drift. without weight in front, the tail has too much inertia compared to the front.

thx drift(x3)
Old 06-16-2006, 02:31 PM
color0

huh, so 1:1 theory works at this scale. good to know, because in 1:28 there's no such thing as inertia.

so 2WD, are we really drifting yet? or is it still powersliding around a corner (nothing wrong with that, but sooner or later we have to start sliding way before corner entry)?
Old 06-16-2006, 04:38 PM
2WDrifter

right now, i can drift. im not powersliding around the corners, im drifting
ill post a vid when im done with my car's paint.
Old 06-16-2006, 05:43 PM
evo 9

i have a 4WD car and is it better to have PVC tires on the back, or to have them on all wheels
Old 06-16-2006, 10:47 PM
driftdriftdrift

all wheels. ABS though not PVC. ABS is the black piping
Old 06-20-2006, 01:05 AM
Predator II

Ok... so I can See where 2WDD is going here... for example I can drift a RWD But it took almost 3+ Months because it was my uncles car. But I have tried to drift with a new bright and it can work you have to pullback on the throttle really quick and oversteer... but What I personally think you are doing is powersliding... (DON'T SHOOT) drifting you have to get WAYYY sideways. Then link the slides. But before I jump to Conclusions I must see the video FIRST!
Old 06-20-2006, 03:14 PM
2WDrifter

OK OK OK. im drifting occasionally on it, but since i just started, its still hard to drift. usually a can only do a 180 drift around a small cone. but thats when im driving in a really slanted area. (i wonder how well it would go if i went somewhere flat....)
Old 06-20-2006, 05:51 PM
dracohowe

lol heres a vid i made when it was 2 o clock in the morning and the adults were wasted. lol it was a fun night [8D]

http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...+drift+attempt

vids around a year old
Old 06-20-2006, 06:48 PM
driftdriftdrift

well. the parts that i could see werent drift. but it does look like a nice house. lol
Old 06-20-2006, 07:28 PM
color0

here, i did this with a lithium-ion RWD xmod... needless to say it took many shootings to get a halfway decent length of footage.

http://www.rcpics.net/view_single.php?medid=67960

as far as i can understand, a powerslide and a drift can be the same thing, if you 'power drift', lol... otherwise, drifting usually uses different methods of kicking the tail out: braking, driveline lock (shift lock in 1:1, hard braking in 1:28), feinting, or plain lifting off the throttle.

in the vid, i had an abundance of power, so i just went ahead and powerslid all the way through. but those slides were of decent length, so it looks more like drifting.

now i need that ball diff for my MR02...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.