Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

RC DRIFTING

Old 03-10-2008, 10:34 AM
taydiablo1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RC DRIFTING

IM TRYING TO GET INTO THE RC DRIFTING THING AND I SAW A GAS POWERED RC CAR I WAS INTRESTED IN. I ALSO SAW ONLINE SOMETHING ABOUT A DRIFTING CONVERSION KIT.... DO I HAVE TO BUY THAT INORDER TO BE ABLE TO DRIFT WITH MY RC CAR? CAN ANYONE HELP ME......
Old 03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
lordmbsa

Default RE: RC DRIFTING

well i recomend buying a electric car alot better for drifting alot cleaner and les wear on parts and shure cheaper starting out thats my opinion
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
ryuhito

The conversion kit fixes the balance of the car, without it your car will handle differently when drifting left than drifting right. You don't need it but it lets you drive the car the same in both directions.
Old 03-10-2008, 04:10 PM
magnat

I recommend Electric Over Gas/Nitro for Drifting..

Electric has better throttle control and can run for longer without burning something out...

And dont let the whole " But Batteries dont last Long "thing throw you off getting and Electric as in Drifting there is Little resistance and therefore Batteries Last for ages..

Aslong as you get an Electric AWD, 3000mah or Higher Batts and a Delta Peak Charger with at least 3 Amp Charge output you will happily be sliding for at least 15 to 20 mins on Polypipe tyres...
Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 PM
Neon_guy

+1 to what magnat said....

drift conversion kit...WHAT A LOAD OF CROCKJUICE. iF ANYONE tries to sell you a "drift conversion kit", you grab them sqarely by the head and thrust your head square in their nose. Then, point at them, waiving a finger and say NO! BAD MONKEY!! BAD MONKEY!!! hOwever, if you do purchase such a thing, I got a great piece of land in the Florida marshes that you may be interested in purchasing. IT's real cheap and a great place to build your own mult-terrain drift track. You're down there. You should know where it is.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:43 PM
TIGER76

+2 on the electric
..also it a known fact people who write in caps cant drift you do know that right
Old 03-11-2008, 10:04 AM
charmanderxd

Hi everyone i was wondering if any one have any info about this car
TEAM XRAY T2'008:
http://cgi.ebay.com/TEAM-XRAY-T2008-...QQcmdZViewItem
wondering if it is any good?
Still new at these stuff
Old 03-11-2008, 10:26 AM
ryuhito

I don't know if I'd go so far as to call the conversion a joke. I prefer the word 'unneccesary". My RS4 drifts without it and it's a kick in the pants, but everytime I have to baby that left hand drift, theres a little voice reminding me that I've got way too much weight in that rear right side.

And I second the "all caps. can't drive" theory. How tough is RC when you can't figure out caps lock? lol j/k
Old 03-11-2008, 12:41 PM
vge

ORIGINAL: charmanderxd

TEAM XRAY T2'008:
Still new at these stuff

you really dont need to spend that kinda cash on a drifter chief. pick up a tt01 and call it a day.
Old 03-11-2008, 01:02 PM
charmanderxd

ya i know but i just want to know
Old 03-11-2008, 01:21 PM
xzavin

HOLY DEAR GOD YOU PEOPLE!! man you guys suck at spelling who spells sure shure?? thats the dumbest thing ever....and dont post in caps locks....Just go buy a nice HPI S2SD is a great car belt drive nicely customized and easy to drift.
Old 03-11-2008, 02:41 PM
lordmbsa

i just bought a MR4TC an cant waight till it comes in im gonna drift all day at work should be in tomorrow
Old 03-11-2008, 02:51 PM
sputnikxxx

ORIGINAL: charmanderxd

TEAM XRAY T2'008:
Still new at these stuff

That is an awsome car, if you were deciding on using it for some competition racing, and im sure it could probably drift very well.... but if all you plan on doing is drifting it is a bit of overkill for the money you could get a lot more if you went with a tt01, or even a tc4, etc..etc..etc...

remember all cars can drift, and even drift well.. its mainly setting up the car with the right kind of suspension, electronics, and tires, and driving skill helps a lot also...

The main thing you might want to consider is how much parts support, and parts availability for the car, and some people like shaft drivin cars as opposed to belt drivin, and others will say belt drivin is the way to go...

but that also depends on if where you are going to be driving the car has a lot of pebbles and stuff....

I didn't care for belts that much myself but that is because I was replacing them left and right because of all the rocks in the park....
Old 03-11-2008, 07:18 PM
charmanderxd

thanks sputnikxxx i actual found a bid for a cheaper one i just posted up a expensive one but it went up to 200 now -.- any ways i know i might be a pain in the ass right now but can you guys tell me if a nether a brush less motor or a tz motor is good which is the best and going number wise dose the number on the motor like 17t, 25t, ect ect ect is it the higher the beater or lower?

so ya if u guys can answer this question for me i appreciate it.

o ya sorry for using your fourm taydiablo1.[X(]
Old 03-11-2008, 08:26 PM
sputnikxxx

brushless motors in my opinion are way better in terms of durability, I am not 100% positive but I also believe that the brushless motors use lest power to run which will result in longer run times on batteries....

as far as motor's go it also depends on what type of surface you will be driving on, and they type of tires you will be running on

its not a matter of just find the lowest or highest number you can get.. the same as not being able to drift because your motor doesn't have enough torque, having too much torque can also result in a car that just spins in place and has too touchy of a motor to control...

I looked these up a few minutes ago.. google is your friend...

Can you explain winds?

Winds of "Double," "Triple," or Quad" refers to the number of strands of wire wound around the armature, double being two strands, triple being three, quad being four, and quint being five. The type of wind is for fine tuning your motor's power band. In general, winds with fewer wires give the impression of kick-starting your wheels, while the winds with more wires will bring you up to top end speed more slowly.
If you have a very slick track, then winds like single and double may cause your wheels to spin; other winds--triple, quad, quint--may give your car better traction. In addition, the less turns of wire, the less run time you will have, because fewer wires will draw more power from your batteries.
The performance gains by changing the type of wind is subjective and may be noticed only by experienced racers with vehicles that respond well

Turns explained
Turns refers to the number of times the wire was wound around each armature arm. The fewer the turns, the higher the rpm (revolutions per minute), or top end speed (the highest speed attainable by that motor). So, if you wish the fastest motor, choose a motor with the fewest number of turns. Keep in mind that the fewer the turns, the greater the battery draw, which means lesser run time.
Old 03-12-2008, 02:14 AM
brendonv

Get a HBX, u pick em up for about $60 on ebay and they drift pretty dam good. They are a copy of the Tamiya TL01 so u get parts through that, if you search on the forum theres a thread all about em. There good value for money, check em out!
Old 03-12-2008, 12:34 PM
magnat

I find Brushless is overkill for drifting..
There is no resistance and most Brushless ESC that are cheap don't offer smooth enough or quick enough throttle response.. I think a 4600kv is OK but a 7700kv is just plain over kill..

In Drift, Motors that range between 27T(Slower but more Torque and 19x2T(More Higher RPM) is the recommendation.

Both the TZ and RZ motors offer good performance and will see you sliding with ease...

The TZ is my favourite although I have Drifted on motors down to 10x2T...
10x2T was too slow to react and chewed the juice...and sent fragments of Polypipe everywhere...

Drifting is not about speed, it is about control.. the Further you can get the tail out and keep it out with control is the key..... even if you pull this off at 10kph it is better then some fool pulling a 10foot slide at 40 mph ! with no control and slamming into the wall..
Old 03-12-2008, 02:10 PM
TIGER76

agree BL is not needed for drifting at all a good 19-23 turn will alway put enough power down to drift well
Old 03-12-2008, 07:56 PM
sputnikxxx

I never said brushless was needed...... I just said it was more effecient... but you guys have a good point... about going 40 in a uncontrolable slide
Old 03-12-2008, 10:36 PM
ryuhito

I drift with a Novak BL 4.5. The other day I realized I usually drift at about 25% of full throttle. So yeah, it's overkill. But just because of the wind, I'm sold on brushless for the low-maintenance factor. Maybe get a 13.5 or something. It's fun to actually try to drift at WOT with the 4.5, but it's hell on tires. And all I have to do is switch on some rubbers and I have a sick fast grip car.
Old 03-12-2008, 11:24 PM
sputnikxxx

well that is the reason i want to go brushless... with it... so on those days I don't feel like drifting and I want to do some speed runs I can throw on some regular tires and open it up...
Old 03-13-2008, 06:22 AM
taydiablo1

well guys I bought a nitro 4-tec 3.3 I havent had a chance to break it in but I will this weekend I wish I would've known about the electric car sooner, but I still can't wait to see the how fast my nitro can go. I still want to get a drift car and it seems that TT01 is a good choice not to mention alot cheaper. Thank for the repiles, oh does anyone have a nitro 4-tec or know if its a good car?
Old 03-13-2008, 11:09 AM
sputnikxxx

its a good basher car.....

never been much of a fan of the 4 tec myself... and I have heard a lot of bad things abuot it...but I have also heard others who love there 4-tecs...

if your planning on drifting with it... be careful not to keep your engine reved at high rpm's all the time or that motor will be shot in no time...

are you new to nitro cars?
Old 03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
ravenlunatic

i've gone through two nitro engines with in a few months trying to drift with my VoneS it's hard to not to wrap out your engine while drifting because you can't get the right power unless you are at a higher rpm. i would agree with those that say that electric drift is better because it's just not practical to buy a new motor every few months!

i still slap on some ABS's and drift my nitro every now and then because i love the sound and smoke but now i mostly do my drifting with my xxxs
Old 03-14-2008, 07:16 PM
Corporeal

+3 for electric.

if you get a 6000mah pack, that thing will last you for almost an hour, even if you don't take a breather.