Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
Reload this Page >

who ever said nitro can't drift?

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

who ever said nitro can't drift?

Old 03-18-2008, 07:17 PM
PENGUINBLASTER!!!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default who ever said nitro can't drift?

I'm a nitro person, I've got a JPX 28, in my Losi Muggy. I just prefer the ability to run all day non-stop without overheating or having to charge a battery.

I've also got a mamba max 5700 /6000mah lipo in a B4 FT buggy and a typical nitro engine simply slaughters even the best of brushless sytems in every aspect.

The punch off the line from a delayed clutch makes nitro ideal for drifting as well.

Some people have bad experiences with nitro, but that's cause they do stupid things most of the time.
Old 03-19-2008, 12:31 AM
peetiewonder

Default RE: who ever said nitro can't drift?

nobody said nitro couldnt drift. i have never had nitro beacuse i dont feel like paying 20+ dollars a gallon for fuel, and i like the plug and play ability of electric, not having to sit around with glow plugs and motor tuning and cleaning perfectly after every run warm and cool down and all that BS. you like nitro more power to u, but just remember the fastest rcs in the world are electric. nuff said.
Old 03-19-2008, 02:02 AM
magnat

ORIGINAL: peetiewonder

nobody said nitro couldnt drift. i have never had nitro beacuse i dont feel like paying 20+ dollars a gallon for fuel, and i like the plug and play ability of electric, not having to sit around with glow plugs and motor tuning and cleaning perfectly after every run warm and cool down and all that BS. you like nitro more power to u, but just remember the fastest rcs in the world are electric. nuff said.

I agree with peetiewonder..

No one said Nitro can't drift.. its just they don't like doing it.

Your also missing one major point...

Speed has little to do with drifting, especially technical slides where you cant do 20mph...
Its Very Very hard for a Nitro to perform technical slides,due to the nature of a Nitro motor, they have to build up revs and have such a Tiny Torque band when compared to an electric.. (Electrics have a Torque curve from stand still... a Nitro needs to build revs before the clutch will even engage)

Its about loss of traction, and lets face it, the cheapest and most affordable way to drift is to grab an Electric AWD wack some poly's on it and go sliding without the need to monitor motor temps, motor leaning out or running to rich.

When you blow an Electric Motor, Your out of pocket may be around $40 but when you pop a nitro engine block, your dealing with some big figures...

So its not a case of Nitro's can't drift, its a Case of longevity and ease of matenience..

Old 03-19-2008, 11:05 PM
ryuhito

can't help....myself...must get...sucked into debate...lol

BAH When my RS4 is cranked sideways, belchin smoke, whipping past my brushless competition, snackin a set of tires for lunch and screaming bloody murder I don't feel a lot of temptation to get the electric out of the trunk. And the line about drifting not being about speed, I say BAH to that, too. Drifting didn't evolve from Gramma going to the market, it evolved from rally cars and I'm pretty sure those guys were trying to drift as fast as freaking possible (without going off the cliff). New law: electric drift cars must have a PINK chassis...

lol
Old 03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
peetiewonder

just curious what does your nitro top out at? cuz my electric tops out around 60 or so, geared conservatively.
Old 03-20-2008, 01:01 PM
magnat

Yes Drifting did Start in Rallying where the Idea was to maintain as much momentum through the corners as possible..

But this is SHOW DRIFT!!!!

The Whole Idea is to get the tail out and keep it out on the sharpest Angle possible for as long and continuous as possible on a set track... Or Freestyle where it is for As long as possible and with an Angle as acute as possible with flair and style...

I am not saying a Nitro can't drift, But if you had a Nitro RS4 and a Tamiya TA-03F and set them up on a set course I am more then sure that the TA-03F is going to score more Points for Angle, Distance and Control then a RS4 Nitro..

There has always been a rift in the community when it comes to Nitro and Electric... but if you take all things into account, the Electrics have the drifting wound up pretty tightly
Old 03-20-2008, 05:02 PM
ROBSON CWB

So you guys are saying that NITRO isn't as good as Electric for drifting.

Have you guys seen this video?
[link=http://www.hpiracing.com/videoplayer/3/]Nitro Drifting very fast![/link]

That looks very fast to me! and looks like he's got some good angles to me.
Old 03-22-2008, 10:03 AM
ryuhito

Peetie: I'm not sure how fast my nitro car is, I'd estimate about 40-45 mph. That's mostly stock, maybe a little taller gearing than usual. Cost me $400 to build a XXX-S that could keep up lol.
Old 03-24-2008, 01:22 PM
SeanZ0r

that video is sped up like 2x
Old 03-24-2008, 10:17 PM
dime-rip87gt

Hey guys I'm new to drifting not new to RC by any means. I have a Rs4 evo. Is the stage-d kit needed to drift my nitro?
OR should I sell it and buy maybe an HPI E-10? Do I need a D-box if I go electric? Can I take any car nitro or electric put drift tires on it and go drifting??? Any help would be great. Thanks
Old 03-25-2008, 12:23 AM
DriftProjectR

ORIGINAL: dime-rip87gt

Hey guys I'm new to drifting not new to RC by any means. I have a Rs4 evo. Is the stage-d kit needed to drift my nitro?
OR should I sell it and buy maybe an HPI E-10? Do I need a D-box if I go electric? Can I take any car nitro or electric put drift tires on it and go drifting??? Any help would be great. Thanks
Is the stage-d kit needed to drift my nitro?
no you dont, the stage d kit just makes the chassis more balanced for drifting
OR should I sell it and buy maybe an HPI E-10?
your rs4 is fine to drift, if your looking into getting into electric, i would suggest the tt01. the e10 is a waste of money, you get what you pay for.
Do I need a D-box if I go electric?
d box is baiscally a gyro for that keeps the chassis during a slide controlled. most drifters i know think that it cheating to have it.
Can I take any car nitro or electric put drift tires on it and go drifting???
just about, setup is up to you. most the people i know try to lock the diffs (to push all the tires forward).

you can drift almost any 4 wheel drive onroad car, its all about the tuning.
Old 03-25-2008, 01:07 AM
magnat

I would suggest a HPI Sprint 2 over the E10 (and over the TT-01) if you like the HPI Brand and have access to parts..

Stage D Kit is not needed for the Nitro's .. It sorts out chassis balance and thats about it..
A Set of Stage D Rubber tyres and go for it! Your Nitro will drift with Just a Tyre change...

Things to Consider when Drifting a Nitro
1. When Drifting, Air Flow is not as good as if you were racing..
2. Most Drift Comps are indoors and don't allow Nitro to run (Although this is changing)
3. Nitro's Chew Tyres quicker, Chew Fuel and have expendable such as Clutches and Brake pads.. which, in drifting wear out..
4. The Noise can upset the Neighbours when you attend Late night Drift meets in quiet back streets..
5. The Mess, do you really want to ruin that fancy shell you just did with Nitro Fuel ??

You don't need to spend UBER amounts of money on an Electric.
A HPI Sprint 2 or Tamiya TT-01 will drift with just a change to PVC or Polypipe Tyres (Which you can make yourself)
Sure the Initial Cost of a properly set up Electric Drifter will equal that of a Nitro but you wont have the ongoing costs like Fuel and tyres to worry about...

It is up to you which path you choose... Just choose the correct one that is right for you..
Old 03-25-2008, 11:42 AM
DriftProjectR

ORIGINAL: magnat

I would suggest a HPI Sprint 2 over the E10 (and over the TT-01) if you like the HPI Brand and have access to parts..

Stage D Kit is not needed for the Nitro's .. It sorts out chassis balance and thats about it..
A Set of Stage D Rubber tyres and go for it! Your Nitro will drift with Just a Tyre change...

Things to Consider when Drifting a Nitro
2. Most Drift Comps are indoors and don't allow Nitro to run (Although this is changing)
3. Nitro's Chew Tyres quicker, Chew Fuel and have expendable such as Clutches and Brake pads.. which, in drifting wear out..
4. The Noise can upset the Neighbours when you attend Late night Drift meets in quiet back streets..
5. The Mess, do you really want to ruin that fancy shell you just did with Nitro Fuel ??

You don't need to spend UBER amounts of money on an Electric.
A HPI Sprint 2 or Tamiya TT-01 will drift with just a change to PVC or Polypipe Tyres (Which you can make yourself)
Sure the Initial Cost of a properly set up Electric Drifter will equal that of a Nitro but you wont have the ongoing costs like Fuel and tyres to worry about...

It is up to you which path you choose... Just choose the correct one that is right for you..
this is not all true.

thats true, all you need to do is richen the bottom end and increase the timing

most people i know who drift nitro dont compete with them, we use them just when its a big track or batteries are charging etc.

Nitro is all on setup bud. you can setup any car. nitro doesn't really chew up tires quicker i use abs with groovydrifts tire traction mod for abs (hot glue in the tires), i been drifting my rs4 forever now and i still dont have problems with any of the parts. sure you need to setup a little bit but its not that hard; change the clutch springs so really soft ones (like .8). break pads dont wear to much either, since where really not going that fast i wouldn't see where you would come to the conclusion that brake pads wear done fast. i have a set of pads for about 4 months now. i still have plenty of pad left. about 60% and i use it alot.

thats true i guess, i run an RB r15 motor with a Rb 063 pipe is pritty quite for a gas powered. i usually session at the local RC track anyways.

its not that messy? just trim your body oppropriatlly, for those who dont know how to use fuel bottles and spill your gas everywhere. when it gets on my body i spray some nitro cleaner on it and wipe it off. if it gets on my chassis its no big deal. when i get home i just spray down my whole car with WD40/Denatured alcohol/and simple green mixture and shoot it off the gunk with an air compressor. not to hard and its looks like new again.

personally i think electric is the easier way to go. i know a lot of people who dont really like electric due to the fact of batteries, it can get pricey with brushless and such. nitro drifting has taught me alot about setup setup and more setup. taught me that just the little in crease in toe and a change of springs can make such a big differnece. personaly i think electric is still the way to go, but if you do want to get into nitro drifting its not all that hard either; just a few setup changes and your all set to go.