Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
 Hot ESC and stuttering Drifter TT-01 >

Hot ESC and stuttering Drifter TT-01

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Hot ESC and stuttering Drifter TT-01

Old 09-30-2008, 03:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hot ESC and stuttering Drifter TT-01

Hi all,
New to the scene (relatively).

Trouble with HOT parts and stuttering motor when taking off.

Tamiya TT-01 (2nd hand drift set up)
- ANSMANN 15T
- Apex ESC up to 12T
- bearing etc

Sometime when I start off (freshly charged batt) if I apply full throttle from takeoff it stutters and behaves as if batts are nearly dead, .
Q1) Is this a batt problem or is it characteristic of 15T motors?
But, however, if I apply throttle gently and gradually it's fine and I can run a drift circuit (and use full throttle).
That is until the ESC overheats and I have to sit like a dead duck for 5 secs while it cools.
My batt connectors and ESC become untouchable with heat.
Q2) Is this normal?
Considering changing back to the supplied 27T yokomo-D motor.

Appreciate your advice.
Cheers

Old 09-30-2008, 04:10 AM
My Feedback: (18)

Default RE: Hot ESC and stuttering Drifter TT-01

the 15t sounds like it needs new brushes and or the armature turned. what it your gearing? if it's the same as what was used with the 27t, id go down at least 3-4 teeth on the pinion
Old 09-30-2008, 05:03 AM

Thanks mate, but
Errrr.. I have no idea what teeth and pinion I have.... sorry.
Old 09-30-2008, 05:45 AM

Actually all internals/gears are stock.
now what are your thoughts?
Old 09-30-2008, 10:31 AM
My Feedback: (18)

The pinion gear is on the motor. the tt01 has 48p gears stock. count the teeth on the pinion and go down 3-4
Old 09-30-2008, 03:44 PM

Ohhh... ok.
so "pinion" is the teeth on the cog/motor.

In answer to your question - yes: the set up was the same when the 27T was in there.

So maybe there are too many teeth for the motor to handle... and then the whole thing thinks that the battery is low on juice. Could that be what's happening.
Once the motor has some momentum, it's fine.

Why would you go down 3-4 teeth if using the 27T?

Appreciate your help/knowledge.
Old 09-30-2008, 04:08 PM

He means go down 3 or 4 if using your 15t

Add some heat sinks to your ESC and battery

You can find some Cheap Ram heat sinks in small or long
They normaly come with some double sided thermal tape so you can stick them right on

I can find them here for 2 bucks a set and I still have some heat sinks left over.

Old 09-30-2008, 09:23 PM

Thanks guys,
It's not the engine that gets hot.
It's the batt connectors and the metal fins on the ESC that get too hot.

Further - is my theory right regarding the stuttering with 100% throttle on takeoff?

I will probably swap out the motor for the 27T and see if it still stutters on takeoff when using full throttle.

Cheers.

Old 10-02-2008, 07:04 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If the battery connectors are getting hot I would replace them. That means there is a voltage drop through the connector (voltage turns to heat). That in turn causes a higher current draw from the ESC. Do a search for "deans connectors." They are easy if you know how to solder.
Also check your motor brushes for wear. See if you can the smaller pinion gear as mentioned earlier when you get the new connectors.

The larger pinion on the faster motor like you have also causes more current draw. SO you have 2 issues compounding into a heat problem. Don't keep running it like this, you may burn out the ESC.
Old 10-03-2008, 12:50 AM
My Feedback: (1)

I'm assuming you're running Molex/Tamiya connectors? I switched, a month ago about. Haven't regretted it at all. Knockoffs seem to be doing the job for me. They can transfer current a LOT faster.
Old 10-03-2008, 07:40 AM

Thanks all,
I wouldn't try my hand at soldering so might leave the deans plugs as a last resort.
for simplicity, I might go to the 27T yokomo drift motor that came with my set (second hand).
As far as I know it's all stock, save that of the bearings that the guy put in; carbon brace; alu prop shaft and that's it.
He said ESC was good for up to 12T but it's proving not to be.

Should an ESC get hot at all?
or the plugs?
Old 10-03-2008, 04:46 PM
My Feedback: (9)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

By avoiding the hot plugs you are avoiding the cause of your issue. An ESC should get warm, battery connectors shouldn't. Bad battery connectors are causing excessive heating. You can atleast try to clean and tighten up the cbattery connections. Alcohol and cotton swabs will work. You may be able to tighten the connection up with some pliers.
Old 10-03-2008, 10:11 PM

Sounds like the Motor is drawing too much current through the ESC.... Either the ESC is not up to the job OR The Motor is having an Issue...

Swap back to the Stock motor, see if your problem goes away... 15T is a little too low for drifting, I would stick with a 27T, 23T or a 19x2T motor for Drifting and leave the 15T motor for street racing... where you can hold the throttle at full for alot longer...
Old 10-07-2008, 06:11 AM

I thnk that the ESC is pushing its limits, hence it shuts down automatically when too hot.
I have switched to the 27T Yokomo and will report back soon!
FYI both engines are relatively new so should not have any significant brush wear and tear.

Cheers.
Old 10-13-2008, 12:43 AM

Guys,
just been mucking around for a bit with the 27T. Doesn't seem to experience ESC shut down (yet).
so that's good news!
It's a little slower at top speed... but the initial prob has now GONE!!!! (that being, experiencing stuttering when hitting 100% throttle from stand still).
Now I have instant wheel spin on demand without having to be light on the throttle.

Thanks guys!

here's me

<http://nz.youtube.com/watch?v=RRnJWKJ0O10>
Old 10-13-2008, 01:06 AM

From what I've read so far you completely ignored every piece of advise given to you.

You said things got hot -> switch the connectors to Deans. The stock "tamiya" connectors are very high resistance and reduces the current that reaches the esc and the motor. You don't just reduce heat but also allow more current to flow if you switch.

Stuttering -> switch pinions. You CANNOT run the same pinion gear (the one on the motor) with a lower turn motor. If you're running a 23t pinion with a 55t spur gear on the stock motor then you should be running a 20t pinion with the 55t spur on the 15t motor. (FYI, "t" for gears stand for teeth, "t" for motors stands for turns.)

If you go back to the stock motor, which doesn't pull as much current and is designed for the stock gearing, then OF COURSE the problems will disappear. That doesn't mean you won't ever run into them again, I can just see it now, a few months from now you're going to think to your self "I'm going to try that 15t motor again".... @^$&&$@ same problem as last time... duh!!
Old 10-13-2008, 05:49 AM

Hi Druss,
thanks for you comments... I didn't ignore advices;
I have swabbed my connectors with alcohol;
I stated that I didn't want to try my game at soldering (would consider as a last resort).

My gears are stock - I guess that means 19/61??? can you please correct me if I am wrong?

Surely they can handle a 27T motor... tamiya TZ's out of the box are 23T.
Sorry to sound cheap or lazy, but I don't want to take apart everything and start upgrading gearing to get this thing running nicely.
As a novice (construction wise) I just want a basic d-car to fine tune my skills.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:35 AM

Smooth..

Good to hear it... I would say that your ESC's Limits may be a little lower then they state...

The 27T motor with the 19T/61 gearing combo will see you sliding with ease... Remembering that RC Drifting is more about Torque then speed.

I have Run a Team Orion Method R 15x2T on the 19/61T combo and had no heat issues at all some How ever, when running a 14x2T I did go with the 25T/58T Combo for a bit more mid range punch..(this is using the TT-01 for Street racing and Not Drifting as motors lower then 17x2T seem to have insufficient torque or Torque not in the correct rev band for drifting)
Old 10-13-2008, 10:38 AM

All I'm saying is that you seeem to be avoiding the issues as opposed to trying to fix them. Changing a pinion gear requires 20 seconds and a 1.5mm allen key. The pinion itself costs $2.

Soldering seems hard but is actually pretty easy. A $15 soldering iron from radio shack and watch a video on how to solder correctly (you get tons of them off a google search) and some good electrical solder. $2 for a set of deans and you're good.

There are just some basic things you need to learn in order to keep your car in good running shape and if you're not willing to take it apart now and then, it will fall apart on you.

That's just some advice, I personally think you should tear it apart and completely rebuild it (all the manuals are available on the Tamiya website). There may be issues with the car since you bought it used, now is the time to find out and get parts if you need them.
Old 10-13-2008, 04:19 PM

The stock gearing should be fine,sounds like your ESC is acting up to be ive ran a lot taller gearing on the standard esc with a hotter motor with no stuttering so im guessing the esc isnt allowing the needed voltage to the motor
Remember the annsmans motors are cheap you get what you pay for with motors in saying that its rated as a soft mod motor so the amp pull wont be as much as a hot mod 15 turn motor from a decent company,i would go with the ESC being the problem OR your battery pack.check the voltage levels after charging your packs if there low it will make the motor stutter too []
Old 10-17-2008, 08:42 PM

ok - thanks for comments - I had no idea how Ansmann stacked up against other brands.
Went to drift night on Wed and had no probs with stock setup and Yokomo 27T motor.

I thnk we've established that the ANS 15T motor draws too much power thru the ESC etc, coupled with my stock parts.

The only thing I noticed now is that if I run full speed down my apartment garage (no drifting), it moves to one side.. as if alignment is out.. Is this because of the motor pulling the whole car out? it must be pretty torquey.
Old 10-17-2008, 10:57 PM

shaft driven cars have some torque steer, one of the reasons the higher end cars tend to use belt driven.
Old 10-18-2008, 11:14 PM

Oh cheers Druss. could you please explain something (off topic)... been reading thru diff threads and I still can't understand the diff between TA and TB and TL chassis.
it appears that TL are extinct, and the TA05 is close to heaven. what could I upgrade to in future for drifting/car park bashing (that could withstand brushless setup later on)?
Are the numerals after the TA/TB the year of production? ie 05 = 2005?

which ones are tub chassis? which ones are belt/shaft? is there a web site that explains all this? or a forum?