Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

new to hobby got a ?

Old 10-10-2008, 08:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to hobby got a ?

what u guy think is a good cheap nitro drift car? how about this?

[link=http://yhst-90871347430291.stores.yahoo.net/7499-gpdriftworldracing.html]heres a link of the car i found[/link]

thanks for n e input! RZA
Old 10-10-2008, 08:51 PM

Default RE: new to hobby got a ?

ORIGINAL: rzafly

what u guy think is a good cheap nitro drift car? how about this?

[link=http://yhst-90871347430291.stores.yahoo.net/7499-gpdriftworldracing.html]heres a link of the car i found[/link]

thanks for n e input! RZA
For drifting electric is way better. Its not a name brand rc so parts will be hard to find. If it goes 60 (i dont think so) then you shouldn't be drifting it. Drifting is controlling an out of control thing. Imagine 60mph and there is a little boy/girl running around and you go to stop but since its a drift car its made slide right into that poor kid, break his leg, ankle what ever. or a tree/post, mail box and you NAIL it at 60mph.... Can you say bent, broken parts? It looks like a exceed knock off and i had an exceed nitro off road 1/10 buggy and the engine went plop after 2 gallons... Servo's died in 2 days, the stock towers bent like paper, waste of $200.... GO electric with a name brand (HPI, Tamiya, Associated ect ect.) You can get a decent electric drifter for about $200 if not less.... Also nitro is loud, messy and you have to buy fuel, tune the engine, perform lots of maitinence to keep the engine healthy, Tune the engine ect ect. For a begginer nitro is a no no. Once you get into the hobby you can try a nitro but make sure its a name brand one or you will have lots of head aches, stress put on you.... Good luck! Hope i helped a little!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:23 AM

thank!
Old 10-11-2008, 02:58 AM

Just a couple of examples: HPI E10 or Sprint 2, Tamiya TT-01D or TB-02D
Old 10-11-2008, 07:43 AM

I find nitro to be easier then elec. Sure you have the maintanance but thats with everything. Nitro you just start it tune it and your good to go for the tank. Electric you have to have the right batteries a good charger and then all the maintanance for everything else. Don't get me wrong I like my elec. cars and trucks but do find it easier to just add gas and go out to play.. But it may just be that electric is so new to me and I have alot to learn. It can be very frustrating trying to find info on the best batts and things tho..
Old 10-11-2008, 03:31 PM

I have both nitro and electric but really prefer electric. There is a lot less field gear required: starters, glow plug igniters... etc. Plus breaking in and tuning an engine may be easy for the experienced but for the total newb it's actually quite difficult.

I have a good charger set up though so that's never been a concern for me (from flying electric helis). There IS NO ongoing maintenance (specific to electric), you charge, you plug the battery in, you go. I don't have to worry about it starting or being finicky or cleaning the car of nitro fumes or... etc. There is always car maintenance but that's the same for both nitro and electric.

With my 5000mah+ lipo batteries (4 of them) I could run my car for almost 2 hours.

With all that said, all my 1/8 stuff is still nitro and probably will continue to be.
Old 10-12-2008, 12:06 AM

ORIGINAL: Druss

I have both nitro and electric but really prefer electric. There is a lot less field gear required: starters, glow plug igniters... etc. Plus breaking in and tuning an engine may be easy for the experienced but for the total newb it's actually quite difficult.

I have a good charger set up though so that's never been a concern for me (from flying electric helis). There IS NO ongoing maintenance (specific to electric), you charge, you plug the battery in, you go. I don't have to worry about it starting or being finicky or cleaning the car of nitro fumes or... etc. There is always car maintenance but that's the same for both nitro and electric.
+1 very well stated i enjoy the "plug and play" factor of electric, not the add fuel, attempt to start, tune, break my back bending over ect ect. My 1/8 truggy may be going BL[:-] i love electric. I have about 6 2400mah batteries i got to the track with my TC5 to practice i can go for about 2 hours but once one battery is dead cool it down, throw on the charger, put another on in the car go play, repeat till you have to go. Its also a lot quieter. In my community i have lame old neighbors i have had "security" called on me to many times.... Also its either the car works or it doesnt. Nitro you can be to rich, lean, bog, stall ect ect... Electric usually it wont even go if there is a problem with the battery, motor, esc...
Old 10-12-2008, 05:39 PM

I Prefer the Electric for Drift...

Instant Torque, Lighter vehicle so longer drifts with less speed. No Real tuning required, just Plug and play, No mess, No Extra expense once Batts and chargers are bought, Able to drift at all indoor locations Including underground car parks where the security guards don't go off their tree for you making too much noise..
No more sore wrists from pull starts... No risk of over heating the motor or Burning the clutch out... For Drift... Electric really has the advantages...
Sure speed is faster with a Nitro BUT Drift is not about speed... Its about how far you can get the tail out and keep it out...

Just Plug and play...

You only really need 3 Batts rated at more then 3000mah and a Charger rated at 4 amps to play all day.. I get 30-40 mins on Polypipe tyres from an Intellect 3000mah Battery. and with a 4amp Charger it taks about 50mins to recharge
Any time that the car is not running, its allowing the motor and ESC to cool down..
Old 10-13-2008, 12:38 AM

ORIGINAL: magnat

I Prefer the Electric for Drift...

Instant Torque, Lighter vehicle so longer drifts with less speed. No Real tuning required, just Plug and play, No mess, No Extra expense once Batts and chargers are bought, Able to drift at all indoor locations Including underground car parks where the security guards don't go off their tree for you making too much noise..
No more sore wrists from pull starts... No risk of over heating the motor or Burning the clutch out... For Drift... Electric really has the advantages...
Sure speed is faster with a Nitro BUT Drift is not about speed... Its about how far you can get the tail out and keep it out...

Just Plug and play...

You only really need 3 Batts rated at more then 3000mah and a Charger rated at 4 amps to play all day.. I get 30-40 mins on Polypipe tyres from an Intellect 3000mah Battery. and with a 4amp Charger it taks about 50mins to recharge
Any time that the car is not running, its allowing the motor and ESC to cool down..
I agree with all of the above but speed. A good brushless system has very good speed. My TB-02 with a Mamba Max 5700 and my 5000mah battery goes pretty damn fast. I haven't clocked it but it goes fast enough that I have quite a bit steering expo in so that I don't lose control with a muscle twitch.
Old 10-13-2008, 06:45 AM

Druss : the average beginner can't really go brushless straight out of the Box but yes, a good brushless set up definately tips the scales in Electrics favour even more so..

When it comes to buying an RC Drifter : Electrics will have you enjoying the sport with minimum fuss...

Just dont be sucked into the RC Drift scene by buying an RC that has the words " Drift" in its title...
Cause Sure a Tyco Drift King will drift.... but its a Toy...

Best thing to do is Ask Questions, no matter how stupid they appear as the only stupid Question is one thats not asked !
Old 10-13-2008, 10:34 AM

personally, I think it makes more sense for a beginner to go brushless out of the box. I hate dealing with brushes and coms and springs.... etc. The whole arguement for electric over nitro is the same as brushless over brushed. The cost is definitely higher but the maintenance is zero. Just choose low enough gearing to control the speed and you're good.

There's a reason all of my 1/10 vehicles are brushless, buggies, trucks, on road touring, drift.... etc.