Community
Search
Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Dual Purpose TT01

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2008, 11:48 AM
MeanMustang

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Dual Purpose TT01

We all know the tt01 is a great beginner car and a decent drifter. For racing, its just not the best weapon on the track. My question is... Has anyone managed to set up the car in such a way that it can be used as a drifter and a "decent" track car? By decent, I don't mean winning races or anything, just something that's quick enough around corners to keep up with the faster cars like the Xrays and the 416s that it will not be too much of an embarrassment. Maybe someone out there has a drifter that is competitive on the track too, just by switching tyres and a few tweaks. Please share your mods and setup. Thanks.
Old 11-11-2008, 12:52 PM
The Hybrid

Default RE: Dual Purpose TT01

drifting can be changed through weight distribution... and also like you stated the tire switch,then add the more centered weight for racing...
Old 11-12-2008, 12:41 AM
Druss

maybe if you added the carbon fiber body to it along with the tt-01e parts you might get competitive. the problem is that the tt-01 is heavy and it has poor steering so going up against carbon fiber chassis cars with aluminum shocks, perfect no slop steering... etc. would be difficult.
Old 11-12-2008, 06:01 AM
MeanMustang

Currently, I have the standard plastic chassis with the carbon fiber brace. Also have most of the important bits replaced with alloy such as the arms, prop shaft and joints, shocks, universals. Its a heavy car but that's not a prob on the straights with a more powerful motor. Its in the corners that the weight really starts to show. Where race cars turn sharply and controllably through the corners, mine will push out or even skid out as if the car has reached its limits of adhesion. I don't have front arms with turnbcukle adjustments as mine are now alum. Was thinking of going back to the adjustable tt01 plastic arms. Would this help significantly with my cornering problem or should I just throw in the towel and keep it for drift, high speed passes and bashing?
Old 11-12-2008, 03:19 PM
Druss

are you running in a modified class? in a stock class with everyone running the same motor you'd be at a severe disadvantage.

adding the weight of aluminum in there without the carbon fiber frame, shock towers... etc. to lighten the frame increases the weight too much. like you said, the corners are where you get beat, you can't turn with as much speed nor accelerate out of them too quickly.

I'd just suggest getting a separate chasis for on road or carpet racing and keep the tt-01 as a basher/drifter.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:50 AM
MeanMustang

Hahaha. No, its not for racing. Just for fun and to reduce boredom. When drifting on the open asphat carpark gets too monotonous and a 5100 pack seems to take forever to finish, sometimes, I just switch the tires, hop to the track next to it, climb the drivers' stand and just have some fun with the TRFs, cyclones and Xrays. There's no way to be as fast as the pure-bred race cars and certainly not with my heavy car with a 5100 pack but its nice to be able to keep up (though somewhat behind) and pass them whenever they make a mistake. Its like a 4wd Subaru STI and a Lotus Exige on the same track. The Sti slides around ungracefully around the corners when pushed to its limits while the Lotus carves precise lines. When the Lotus is pushed beyond its limits and spins out, the sti slides awkwardly into the corner, overtakes and accelerates through the straight. Unfortunately, 2 corners down the track, it gets overtaken by the lotus again.
Old 11-13-2008, 11:57 AM
peetiewonder

your drift setup will make the car hard to grip, specifically the spool in the rear.