Go Back  RCU Forums > RC Cars, Buggies, Trucks, Tanks and more > RC Drifting
 Newbie looking for some advice >

Newbie looking for some advice

Notices
RC Drifting Discuss all aspects of rc drifting here!

Newbie looking for some advice

Old 12-18-2008, 12:34 PM
My Feedback: (5)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie looking for some advice

Hey guys, first off let me start by saying that this site and all of you who post here are awesome, very informative and knowlagable people here. You guys have made me hit google and search like a madman for about 2 weeks now. Myself and my brother are looking to get into the hobby. now i know from reading you guys are going to say "oooohhh all the newbs want to drift" well, we do, because lets face it, it looks fun as hell., and im sure it is. We also want to be able to grip race as well. We each want to start with one car due to money reasons and slowly upgrade it. We have been looking into the tb-02 the sprint 2 sport and the tt-01. Keeping in mind that we would like to do both types of racing would it be better if we started off doing 1 type and then get a second car for the other? or could it be as simple as changeing the tires and making a few tweaks to the engine?

we are going to go check out a LHS we found online tomorrow and see what they carry in regards to cars and parts, that in itself may decide what we get.

We would like something easy for a beginner to learn on, but with a high potential so that the car can continue to grow with us as we get better.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Old 12-18-2008, 02:37 PM

Default RE: Newbie looking for some advice

Hey, welcome, I would say don't go with the TT-01 for switching, good entry level drift car but if you are looking for a car to use for both go with Sprint2Sport Drift Edition, with that you only have to change tires and you can change motor but its not needed, you may slide a bit but not badly. When you order a sprint2sport you might want to order some replacement belts for it, they are cheap and if you take good care of them they will last a long time but if you run it outside on really sandy ground the belts will tear up unless you put in a guard....that what I got for mine =) Good luck!

EDIT: Forgot to mention that sprint2sport is has a good ammount of upgrades, tt-01 has a few more but I find that you don't need to have an aluminum servo mount, carbon is just fine =)
Old 12-18-2008, 05:49 PM

I second this post, except I have a micro rs4 that I love to drift with, only problems is because it is so small you really need the proper pavement to have some fun. Looking at bumping up to a 1/10 scale drifter. Wondering if I should just buy an rs4 since I liked the micro so much. I was looking at the E10, the Sprint2 and TT-01's... I just want something to bash around with and have a good scale look. I know there are alot of led kits and bodies that come with light buckets and what not... Will most of these accessories fit on all these 1/10 scale cars? Not sure if they are like my larger rc's or the smaller ones where they are all the same scale but the wheelbases and widths are completely different (kyosho landmax, I am looking at you).

In summary, I just want to get sideways on a larger scale and look good doing it. I assume all these cars use standard hexes for wheels? I'd have to be able to convert a subaru into rally mode every now and then.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:24 AM

Great for you guys to get involved in this fun part of RC. The cars you all listed are ok for drifting but not really for racing. They are much heavier than most chassis used for racing and while you can get a $300+ graphite chassis to drift I would personally not recommend it (don't really want to damage that chasis).

All the ones you listed are decent drifters out of the box. I have 2 TT-01's, one for drifting and one for bashing, a TB-02 mostly for racing around the block, and a TA-05R w/ carbon fiber chassis for actual racing (once I get out to the track...).
Old 12-19-2008, 11:49 AM

I started off with a Sprint 2. It's a good chassis but I would recommend going with a better one because if you think you would really be into this then you're gonna be spending money to upgrade all your equipment anyways. I would recommend a Hot Bodies Cyclone S. Though with this model you will need to buy the motor, esc, radio equipment, battery and charger. I know it's more expensive but with the the models you mentioned (which still are good chassis to drift with), you're still gonna need to do mods and upgrades to make it drift real nice. The Cyclone S drifts real nice out the box. Go with brushed motor and nimh batteries to cut costs. But if you do get the Sprint 2, make sure you buy some T-Drift tires for it cuz you'll never learn how to drift it with the tires that come on the chassis.
Old 12-19-2008, 12:22 PM

Considering what I did to my micro RS4 (cf chassis etc etc, and I agree with you, dont want to mess it up bashing) It is probably wiser to go with a better car than something lower on the scale. I'll do some googling on that Cyclone and check it out. I would mostly be drifting out back behind our warehouse at work or with my cousin for fun. I'm sure a TT-01 or a Sprint2 or whatever would serve the purpose, but I know how much I like buying hop-ups and upgrading/customizing. Thanks for the input guys.
Old 12-19-2008, 02:53 PM

I don't see how the Sprint2 tires are hard to learn with, I learned with them stock, the car is perfect for drifting I think, I have used a Yokomo, TT-01 HPI Pro-D and cyclone, I admit they were almost all nice to drift with, I loved the Yokomo, The Pro-D was a lot of fun, but I still found that those two cars are somewhat short on hop-ups, thats where the TT-01 and Sprint2 make up ground, both have a ton of upgrades
Sprint2 comes stock with good tires, good motor, and good parts overall.
You can upgrade your Sprint2 with carbon decks and aluminum parts like most cars, you will also find a massive selection of bodies for the sprint2, I found that some bodies made by other places for 1/10S cars don't always fit right or look correct, I love how HPI does the details. Tamiya bodies look fake to me and the 350Z looks worst from Tamiya.
I have put my word in I guess, I also hear that the Yokomo drift cars can be used for touring they just are built mostly for drifting so some items on the car will be a bit different then on a stock touring car ( I.E. shocks and such). Yokomo cars are good to drift though. Good luck!
Old 12-24-2008, 10:02 PM

i was wundering as a noob myself can u use just the rim as a drift wheeel
Old 12-25-2008, 12:05 AM

TT-01 is Hands down the best RTR drifter on the market...for the price you cant go wrong...and No you cant just use a bare rim as drift tires...they wouldn't be very good compared to actual tires.
Old 12-25-2008, 01:07 AM

ORIGINAL: jbruce89

i was wundering as a noob myself can u use just the rim as a drift wheeel
I don't think you'll have much control using just the rims
Old 12-25-2008, 01:44 PM

so you guys would recomend the tt-01D even over the tb-02D ? from what ive read the tb-02 is supposed to be a huge improvment? am i wrong?

i am also liking what i an reading about the cyclone s drift any opinions on it compared to the tt-01 or tb-02?

i noticed that the cyclone is belt driven whereas the tt-01 is not...... and serious advantages with one over the other in drifting?
Old 12-27-2008, 12:15 AM

Belt or shaft... I've got both (not in drifting machines) and to be honest don't really see the difference. They each have their strengths and weaknesses. It's like the gear vs. ball diff arguement, some prefer one over the other but they are both good, just depends on application. For drifting I seriously don't think it matters.

I would go TB-02 just for the fact that it comes with the aluminum shaft, ball bearings, ball diffs, oil shocks, better steering and multiple adjustments for things like camber and shock position.
Old 01-02-2009, 12:00 PM

well guys, i was talking with cousin of mine who also does rc, though he live 500 miles away! and he said he has a tt-01 with a 3racing graphite chassis, its a rolling chassis and he also still has the stock tt-01 motor and esc and is going to mail them to me for free. pretty good score if i dosay so myself! ive got a radio on the way from ebay.

what would you guys recomend i do as far as upgrades?

edit: sorry forgot to mention its got aluminum arms and shaft already. thats all the info i have on it til its gets here