RCU Forums

RCU Forums (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/)
-   RC Drifting (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/)
-   -   Decision Time. (https://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/rc-drifting-304/11281574-decision-time.html)

dowsolo 10-30-2012 05:26 PM

Decision Time.

After getting my Rustler VXL I realized i had the most fun with it when I was able to use it to drift on wet grass/pavement. So ive decided to get into drifting now.

Im looking at getting a Drifter but cant decide on what to get, and I was hoping to get some help from some knowledgable people already involved in drifting.

Ive read most if not all of the recent posts similar to this one and because i am new to the RC Drifting scene i know there's a crap ton of stuff i dont know or have overlooked, and want to make sure i cover all of my bases. Ive been looking at the TT01, Hpi Sprint 2 Drift and the TC4 but i know theres many other options hopefully which fall into the guidelines ive tried to outline below. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Things im looking for and limitations:

* 99% of the driving will take place outdoors, i would prefer a shaft driven car because of this, or if my best option is still belt drive a system known for being reliable with outdoor use. ( I dont want to be constantly having to clean it or replacing belts.)

* Im not looking to compete with it, but would like it to perform nicely. Future upgrades will definatly be purchased, so thats another thing to consider.

* RTR or Kit, i'm mechanically capable and wouldnt mind building my own, however if the options are better as a RTR i will settle with that.

* Has to be Electric, but im not able to use LiPo. Would like to use LiFe if decent ones are available with a reasonable price.(I havent done much research into LiFe other than the basics, would love some advice on which to get, and if their worth getting for a drift application) NiMh will be used otherwise.

* Budget would be $300ish for RTR and $200ish if its a kit. (I understand most if not all kits come without the additional hardware, and am prepared for the additional costs).

* What kind of hardware would anyone suggest for finishing off the kit. (think of it as if you were building it yourself, keeping in mind a reasonable budget of $200ish with some flexibility to start).

As you can see ive got some more or less basic guidelines of what im looking for. I understand there are a ton of options to choose from but I hope this will if not get me started at least point me in the right direction.

Thanks again, one and all.<br type="_moz" />

9five9 10-31-2012 07:46 PM

RE: Decision Time.

Honestly, whichever one you go with, it'll be the right choice. I've had my TT-01 for four years, and still use it all the time. I'm a big fan, but there are other good cars in your range. Heck, the HPI E10 drift would be a good buy for $200, and would leave you with a hundred bucks to spend on shiny stuff for it. It's not a very adjustable car, but you're not competing. It'll fit your needs.

dowsolo 11-01-2012 11:36 AM

RE: Decision Time.

Thanks for the input 9five9.<div>
</div><div>The TT-01 is currently my first choice.  My only issue may be later on, because I'm never satisfied for long with something I  know I can upgrade or make better.  From what I've seen so far there are a'lot of upgrades available, but I want to make sure I wont run out of options too soon in the future.</div><div>
</div><div>I had my Rustler for 3 days before I was online ordering upgrades, and I don't think it will be any different with the car I decide to purchase this time around.  Which is the main reason why I'm being careful with my choice.</div><div>
</div><div>If need be I'm prepared to spend $300 for just the kit if it offers me that little extra in the long run, even though I listed my budget at $200. It may just take me a little longer to get all of the additional hardware required.</div><div>
</div><div>
</div>