Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Stock traxxas emaxx with lipo

Old 09-20-2010, 05:52 AM
jcrew3002

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stock traxxas emaxx with lipo

Can a stock eLectric Traxxas emaxx speed control handle a 2 cell lipo battery? Or can it only handle nimh and NiCad batterys?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:26 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Stock traxxas emaxx with lipo

ORIGINAL: jcrew3002

Can a stock eLectric Traxxas emaxx speed control handle a 2 cell lipo battery? Or can it only handle nimh and NiCad batterys?
To run lipos with a stock E-Maxx you would need a Low Voltage Cutoff (LVC), if you don't have one then run NIMH. NiCad batteries are not worth using.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:16 AM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

It depends on the model of truck you have. You can run up to 16.8V through an EVX-2 esc (guessing that you mean a newer model, 3905 or 3903). The best thing to run is a Low Voltage Cutoff like t9dragon said but a lot of people just run a low volatge alarm that alerts you when the voltage is low.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:02 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

The esc itself can handle a 2S - 5S lipo. That's the evx and the evx2. Just a few will not quite do 5S. I've tested them at 22.1 - 24.4 volts max.
Old 09-20-2010, 05:13 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: guver

The esc itself can handle a 2S - 5S lipo. That's the evx and the evx2. Just a few will not quite do 5S. I've tested them at 22.1 - 24.4 volts max.
It might be able to handle the lipo but it doesn't have a LVC built in, so there is no way to tell if the lipo has dropped past the point of no return..
Old 09-20-2010, 05:37 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: guver

It might be able to handle the lipo but it doesn't have a LVC built in, so there is no way to tell if the lipo has dropped past the point of no return..
$3 Low Voltage Alarm(off ebay shipped) has a damn loud alarm that starts going nuts at 3.4 volts. 1st time I used one I was a little scared I wouldn't hear it but at 50-100 feet I had no issues hearing it and getting a headache from the sound till I stopped running

The LVC's don't work right with traxxas ESC's from what I read on the manufacturers pages
Old 09-20-2010, 08:20 PM
jcrew3002

I have an old traxxas emaxx, I'm sure it's like the first dual esc they made, so it can handle up to 24volts? I'll get a LVC off from eBay.

I'm confused, I know that high voltages can fry a circuit, but why would too low of a voltage harm anything?
Old 09-20-2010, 08:47 PM
MountainMotor

If lipo's fall below a certain voltage then it ruins them. Typically people set LVC or alarms for around 3.2V-3.4V per cell so when the cells reach that level it either shuts the system down or at least alerts you to shut it down manually. All the e-maxx esc's that I'm aware of can handle 16.8V stock.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:09 PM
t9dragon

I have an old traxxas emaxx, I'm sure it's like the first dual esc they made, so it can handle up to 24volts? I'll get a LVC off from eBay.

I'm confused, I know that high voltages can fry a circuit, but why would too low of a voltage harm anything?
If the voltage on a lipo battery drops below 3.4v a cell then you can damage your lipo batteries.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:37 AM
jcrew3002

O ok. So what I plan on doing is getting two 30C 2cell 5000mah lipo batteries and a low voltage cutoff. The combined battery voltage should be about 14.4V, but since the EVX can handle up to 24V I may get two lipo batteries with 11.1V and a combined 22.2 since I'm under the impression that the more Volts the better.
Old 09-21-2010, 09:49 AM
MountainMotor

The only stock E-Maxx esc that is rated for anything over 16.8V is the 3908 E-Maxx with a Castle setup. You'll be fine with the 2 (2S) but if you try to step up to 2 (3S) (25.2V) with a stock 3906 E-Maxx esc, you'll fry it. I'm sure the esc can handle more than 16.8V (like guver said) but 25.2V it won't do.
Old 09-21-2010, 01:05 PM
Sal Bandini

That number sounds a little high to me.

If the voltage on a lipo battery drops below 3.4v a cell then you can damage your lipo batteries.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:33 PM
Krazy Chicken

doesn't to me, on average 11 cell in a lipo battey has 3.7v a little more when charged
ORIGINAL: Sal Bandini

Old 09-21-2010, 02:44 PM
Sal Bandini

You will not damage your lipo if it goes below 3.4 V.
ORIGINAL: Krazy Chicken

doesn't to me, on average 11 cell in a lipo battey has 3.7v a little more when charged
ORIGINAL: Sal Bandini

Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM
Slo-V Flyer

It's when the cell goes below 3.0 where you are really pushing it. 3.0-3.2 is fine, but I like to keep it at 3.3 - 3.4 volts myself, just because I know I don't need the risk of running the extra 30 seconds to 1 minute more if that makes the lipo go below that point.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

i have an original emaxx, with the novak made EVX. i run a pair of 2s 30c 5000mah lipos.
with both lipos fully charged, thats a total of 16.8 volts. now, the evx is rated for 14.4 volts, but its a really well made esc, and i moved it to the front of the chassis for better air-flow. i have run it many times with no heat issues.

so, any of the EVX speed controls should be able to handle a pair of 2s lipos. but nothing higher than that.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:39 PM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

i have an original emaxx, with the novak made EVX. i run a pair of 2s 30c 5000mah lipos.
with both lipos fully charged, thats a total of 16.8 volts. now, the evx is rated for 14.4 volts, but its a really well made esc, and i moved it to the front of the chassis for better air-flow. i have run it many times with no heat issues.

so, any of the EVX speed controls should be able to handle a pair of 2s lipos. but nothing higher than that.
But you still need a Low Voltage Cutoff or Low Voltage Alarm because the esc doesn't anyway to know when the lipo has reached 3.0 -3.4 volts..
Old 09-21-2010, 06:48 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

But you still need a Low Voltage Cutoff or Low Voltage Alarm because the esc doesn't anyway to know when the lipo has reached 3.0 -3.4 volts..
yeh, i have a low voltage alarm. i was just stating what i know the old novak made EVX can handle.
Old 09-21-2010, 06:58 PM
t9dragon

yeh, i have a low voltage alarm. i was just stating what i know the old novak made EVX can handle.
I figured you knew what you were doing. The only reason I add my comments to yours was just in case some noobie say it they wouldn't think it was safe to run lipos on the stock esc without the LVC or LVA.