Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Revo 3.3 to E-Revo conversion questions?

Old 09-20-2010, 03:00 PM
1brent1

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Revo 3.3 to E-Revo conversion questions?

I have an extra revo 3.3 roller and would like to possible convert to electric. I've been out of the hobby for a while and don't know much about the e-revo or whats different. Do they make a conversion kit or would I be better off buying a used e-revo off ebay or something?

Its going to be used for bashing / jumping. Hopefully they're as durable as my big block revo and can hold up after launching through the air on a jump? What do you think?

I have several Lipo batterys in all voltages along with chargers so I'm good there. I would like one of those 75+ mph e-revos, your suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Brent
Old 09-20-2010, 03:22 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Default RE: Revo 3.3 to E-Revo conversion questions?

I just picked up an E-converted 3.3 Revo.

Ok, lessee... Tekno makes 'the' conversion for the Revo. This includes the motor mount, the battery tray, the ESC tray, etc. That is here-

Next you need a powerplant. If you want to get insane speeds, you will need to run a 6S setup (22.2V). The Castle Creations Mamba Monster 2200kV combo runs for $300 and will support 6S.

If you already have the batteries, the conversion will run you around $400 with the motor/ESC. The e-conversion will take every bit as much abuse as the nitro setup.
Old 09-20-2010, 03:52 PM
MountainMotor
My Feedback: (7)

Since you already have the roller, I'd definitely do a conversion instead of buying an E-Revo. There are a couple different conversion kits and many different powerplants you could go with. It depends on what your looking to spend.
Old 09-20-2010, 07:22 PM
1brent1

I don't mind spending a little more if the quality is better. What are my options if you have a minute to look up?

Your time is greatly appreciated.
Brent

Old 09-20-2010, 08:02 PM
MountainMotor

Most people run the Tekno conversion like Dale said. I have a Blue Groove conversion kit and really like it. I went with a Mamba Monster setup on 6S, it's ridiculously fast. The conversion kits usually run right around $100 and I've seen Mamba Monsters on eBay for $230 with free shipping. The first thing your going to have problems with is your transmission though, I stripped 3 gears in a matter of minutes. If you go with a smaller motor/esc setup you might be able to get away with locking the transmission in 2nd but not on 6S.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:06 PM
1brent1

ORIGINAL: MountainMotor

Most people run the Tekno conversion like Dale said. I have a Blue Groove conversion kit and really like it. I went with a Mamba Monster setup on 6S, it's ridiculously fast. The conversion kits usually run right around $100 and I've seen Mamba Monsters on eBay for $230 with free shipping. The first thing your going to have problems with is your transmission though, I stripped 3 gears in a matter of minutes. If you go with a smaller motor/esc setup you might be able to get away with locking the transmission in 2nd but not on 6S.
I definitely want to run the Mamba Monster setup on 6S. Are there any Transmission solutions? Thanks for all the great info! I soon will be enjoying an e-revo because of it.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:32 PM
MountainMotor

There are a few routes, I took the expensive one and went all Robinson Racing gears. I have a RR pinion, spur and all internals. It's not cheap but it works well. I bought kit 8002 which is forward only.
Old 09-20-2010, 11:52 PM
1brent1

If you were to do it all over again and start with nothing would you go with a E-Revo or a 3.3 Converted Revo?

Just wondering if the E-Revo has its benefits since I could find a gently used one for the same price.
Old 09-21-2010, 12:02 AM
MountainMotor

It just depends on exactly what your going to do with it. If your looking at any kind of racing then I'd just get the E-Revo. If your looking at just bashing then I'd build the 3.3. The 3.3 is tougher than the E-Revo but it doesn't handle quite as well. As soon as you put the Mamba motor/esc and everything else on it, it sets real low though and I have an upgraded servo so it does handle a lot better than the stock 3.3 but it's still not going to handle quite as well as the E-Revo. I actually sold a brushless E-Revo to get my Flux but for some reason I wanted to build a brushless 3.3. I like the 3.3 setup better overall but the E-Revo does have it's advantages at certain things.