Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

SLOW CHARGE VS FAST CHARGE

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2010, 06:14 PM
rc4862

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SLOW CHARGE VS FAST CHARGE

i am curently running running a traxxas rustler vxl with a venom 7 cell 8.4v 3000mah batt. i never popped a wheelie in my life. i also have been slow charging my batteries ever since i got them since its suppesed to save the lige span of the battery. will fast charging it ( 4 amps ) allow me to get a better performance? thankks
Old 10-24-2010, 06:20 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: SLOW CHARGE VS FAST CHARGE

I wouldn't charge it at over 3amps personally. Only performance gain would be running it more often .

And no it won't get you to wheelie.
Only way to increase performance via the battery is swap to lipos.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:27 PM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: rc4862

i am curently running running a traxxas rustler vxl with a venom 7 cell 8.4v 3000mah batt. i never popped a wheelie in my life. i also have been slow charging my batteries ever since i got them since its suppesed to save the lige span of the battery. will fast charging it ( 4 amps ) allow me to get a better performance? thankks
The slower you charge batteries the long they tend to run in the car/truch and the longer they'll last lifetime wise.
The harder/faster you charge batteries will increase their initial punch, when taken fresh off the charger, but the runtime will be shorter and it will shorten the lifespan of the batteries being as rechargable batteries are not designed to be quick charged anyway.
Realistically, batteries should be charged relative to their MAH rating, and maximum charged at 1amp per 1000mah of rating of the pack. So in your case 3amps.
4 amps is being excessive, and chances are will deliver little if any performance gain over the highest recommended (3amp) charge rate, but definately more than if you're slow/trickle charging them.

If you're wanting to pop wheelies, change to a smaller pinion and/or get better batteries.
Old 10-24-2010, 06:28 PM
traxxas_guru

ive always charged my lipos at 1C and never had a problem
Old 10-24-2010, 07:12 PM
crunchNmunch

ORIGINAL: traxxas_guru

huh?
Old 10-25-2010, 08:10 AM
4goodbuys2

I get mine to wheely on 7 cell 3000mah , maybe it's your tires not gripping or maybey your running on loose ground.
But like the others said lipo is alot stronger but takes more responsibility , right now I have about 10 nimh as soon as they start not charging fully I will go to lipo I will probly but one or 2 really high mah lipos so I don't have to worry about a bunch of low mah lipos.
Old 10-25-2010, 11:16 AM
mazdaprotege4
My Feedback: (32)

If you really want to wheely, try stiffening your suspension up (if it is soft, it will absorb the initial punch and lessen the chance of wheelies)

Old 10-25-2010, 12:24 PM
Scottgir

ORIGINAL: crunchNmunch

huh?

This is actually comical. What you said Crunch "Realistically, batteries should be charged relative to their MAH rating, and maximum charged at 1amp per 1000mah of rating of the pack. So in your case 3amps." means charging at 1C.

1C means charging at the mah rating of the pack. So 1C = charging at 3amps for a 3000mah pack.
Old 10-25-2010, 12:40 PM
RobbieP
Banned

ORIGINAL: Scottgir

huh?

This is actually comical. What you said Crunch "Realistically, batteries should be charged relative to their MAH rating, and maximum charged at 1amp per 1000mah of rating of the pack. So in your case 3amps." means charging at 1C.

1C means charging at the mah rating of the pack. So 1C = charging at 3amps for a 3000mah pack.
I think crunchy understood that, but did the other guy?
That 1C reply doesn't make any sense to me either.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:34 PM
Scottgir

Yeah, read my post after the fact and it comes across a little "harsher" than I intended. Not sure where confusion lies but it was funny to see that back to back.

Most people don't talk about charging at C rating, so I assumed Crunch didn't know. But I could be wrong.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:56 PM
traxxas_guru

huh?
oh, sorry dint realize this wasabout NIMH