Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

ofna ultra mbx conversion!!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 10:44 AM
nickdude

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ofna ultra mbx conversion!!!!!!!

well i have an old ofna mbx and i wanted to convert it to bl (after i saw how my bros hyper 7 conv went). so i went looking for a conversion kit but i did not find a kit that fit correctly. i found however is the new ultra lx1e. so i went to amain hobbies and bought the motor mount, and receiver box/battery tray. well check it out i think it went pretty good i had to do some major cutting on the receiver box, but i think it looks almost factory.

receiver box i was able to put the aluminum servo mount over the plastic one, and with some trimming still hold the rigidity of the metal mount over the plastic one
Click image for larger version

Name:	pic2.jpg
Views:	298
Size:	79.4 KB
ID:	2237786

i had to drill a hole at the far end of the engine mount and one lined up perfectly. i did not drill out the hole in the middle, but i think it will not move because of the metal mount on the top and the two screws holding it now. if it moves ill just have to drill out the hole and put in an extra screw

Name:	pic3.jpg
Views:	404
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	2237787

Name:	pic1.jpg
Views:	280
Size:	71.9 KB
ID:	2237788

final completed project i am just waiting on the batteries i ordered from hobby king

Name:	pic4.jpg
Views:	898
Size:	98.4 KB
ID:	2237789

tell me what you think.
Old 10-25-2010, 08:28 PM
Brilliance Neon

Default RE: ofna ultra mbx conversion!!!!!!!

Looks good. I'm saving up for an Ultra MBX comp conversion I'm working on. Just need some cash for the motor and batteries.
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 PM
exiledrc
My Feedback: (6)

just bought a mbx roller and also want to do a brushless conversion, what setup did you use ,or recommened for a bl build
Old 10-28-2010, 12:08 AM
Brilliance Neon

I'm lookin at a MMM 2200KV with 2 Turnigy 5000mah at 14.4V. Gearin it for middle ground. Course, I have the Ultra MBX Comp, so things are a bit different. But I'm buying a motor mount system from Hot Racing that mounts in place of the nitro motor and sits in the same spot. Runs it as a 2.4:1 drive, I believe. Might be worth a look at least since Novak doesn't produce the conversion kits anymore.
Old 10-28-2010, 01:10 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

check out elitercd.com for the motor mounts. Dude makes some AWESOME stuff.
Old 10-28-2010, 08:15 AM
x Wild Bill x

I've been looking into converting an Ultra LX Comp as well, pretty much the same buggy and have found a cheap kit with motor mount for the Hyper 8, but not the Ultra's, however I did find this article from RCU from a few years ago where they converted a Hyper 7. I'm not sure if the bolts will be the same, but it gives you a pretty good idea of what to do and how to do it. Also, I know the Emaxx motor plate will work on the Ultra's and they explain how to do that also. Here is the article: http://www.rcuniverse.com/magazine/a...article_id=467 I plan on doing this, but probably won't get it done for a while so if someone else does, please post up!

Thanks,
Bill
Old 10-28-2010, 09:02 AM
nickdude

if you want a good motor mount the mount for the ultra lx1e is a good one. it was $27 at amain hobbies and i had to drill one hole and one of the other holes lined up perfectly. what i had to do is use different screws cause the self tapping screws that screw into the plastic did not fit into the new mount. what i liked about this mount is that it mounts the motor on the passenger side of the buggy. the other mount i was thinking of was the one from rcmonster.com but its $45. i was trying to get all the extra weight to that side of the buggy to balance out the battery a little bit. i only wanted to run one battery so this setup works for me. the motor is the 2200kv hobbywing motor and 80A esc. the combo comes out to $130. its really fast its as fast as my bros setup and he has a momba monster 2200kv. so total i have about $180 into this conversion, take into account i bought the buggy a couple years ago for $100 i have a 1/8 scale brushless buggy for $280 that can keep up with any buggy out in the market right now.
Old 10-28-2010, 09:10 AM
nickdude

btw i have to correct a few things this is a ofna lx (i think its the same thing as the mbx), and none of the things i bought for the lx1e fit perfectly. the reciever box i had to cut a major amount of plastic to make it fit under the aluminum servo plate, and the battery tray i had to put a little extension to get it over the screw bump on the stone guard. also i had to cut the servo plate and get rid of the extra servo mount, and cut a hole out of the rear support (i wanted to keep it though and just cut it enough to get the motor to fit). if i was buying a new project i would just get the ultra lx1e and start their