Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Could I plug this into my receiver?

Old 11-02-2010, 02:42 PM
Damon--

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Could I plug this into my receiver?

Hey, do you guys know if I could plug this light kit into my Rustler VXL's receiver to power it?

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB9998

Thanks.
Old 11-02-2010, 02:51 PM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: Could I plug this into my receiver?

Yes, but depending on your VXl ESC's BEC output voltage etc., (that's a mouthful) you may notice your LEDs are not fully bright. In that case you may want to use them with a separate battery.
Old 11-02-2010, 03:00 PM
Damon--

What kind of battery would be preferable? I have a few 9V battery clips... would those provide enough power?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Slo-V Flyer

I think you'll want 6 volts, depending all on what voltage the plug is supposed to be going into. I would think that since it's got a standard rx plug, that the system works off 6 volts?
Old 11-02-2010, 03:43 PM
Lars from Norway

That is what i am thinking too, Slo-V Flyer. More than this will burn the LEDs, or make them VERY bright for a little while until they burn. You can also use an Y-harness and power them directly from the receiverbattery, that means you are splitting the power before the receiver and leads it to both the LEDs and the receiver.
Old 11-02-2010, 09:22 PM
FahrtAutoRC

I agree. The best way you could go about figuring it out however, is finding out what the LED's are rated for, how many youll be running, whether youre running them in series or parallel, etc etc ad infinitum. All these things would determine how much power needs to be input to the system, but, also, the power itself can be limited just by going to your local electronics store and getting a resistor rated for what you need.
Old 11-03-2010, 09:06 AM
RobbieP
Banned

You "could," but that would depend on if you have a 3rd (open) port on your receiver - and chances are you stock receiver doesn't. But you could obtain a "Y-harness," and plug it into your servo port - and then plug your lights into one end of the Y and the servo into the other. People have been doing that for years.
Since it comes with a receiver plug, you can guarantee yourself it's designed to work plugging into the receiver - no need for a seperate battery.