Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

lipo fires

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2010, 04:48 AM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default lipo fires

hey guys i have been into lipos for not long and today i accdently shorted my 3s pack after charging it. Itt was only shorted for less than a millisecond because i quickley disconencted the wires and placed the battery in a lipo safety bag fopr 30 mins. i inspected the pack and no signs of puffiness or swollen cell, looks the same. i have yet o use it because i would like know if its safe to still use the pack. thier are hardly burn marks on the shorted wires and indont want to throw the pack away. thanks
Old 11-08-2010, 04:52 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: lipo fires

Check the voltages of the cells. If they're all ~4.2v (within a few hundredths, assuming you were balance charging) you're good to go.

There is an unnecessary amount of fear-mongering when it comes to LiPo batteries.
Old 11-08-2010, 04:54 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

I have shorted a 2s pack before. Left a very nasty burn on my thumb

But I still used it for along time with no ill effects.

I would check voltage on the cells and if everything seems good. I would run it.

Just my opinion
Old 11-08-2010, 06:04 AM
Haddi Taha

i was balance charging it when i finished i turned it off and the alligator clips i was using touched. I only charge to 4.16v per cell anyway. thanks for the heads up guys. im using a venom pro charger. so if you short a pack do the cells voltage go out of wack, so my balanced 4.15v cells can endup as 4.11v , 4.15v and 4.20v if that happens.

Old 11-08-2010, 06:19 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Just run it, dude. You have to put a LiPo battery through a LOT of abuse before it'll go up in flames.
Old 11-08-2010, 06:15 PM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

shorted a 2S over a year ago, runs great to this day
Old 11-08-2010, 10:04 PM
Cleared2Engage

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

i was balance charging it when i finished i turned it off and the alligator clips i was using touched. I only charge to 4.16v per cell anyway. thanks for the heads up guys. im using a venom pro charger. so if you short a pack do the cells voltage go out of wack, so my balanced 4.15v cells can endup as 4.11v , 4.15v and 4.20v if that happens.

By alligator clips are you talking about the ones for the charger? If you did that, then you have absolutely nothing to worry about since you have the charger between the battery as a buffer.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:17 PM
Soloratov

Everybody has the same opinion here, check the voltage, otherwise, you're fine. So many people out there scared about lipos......WHY? I have beat on mine so hard over the past few years and nothing. Even have a couple softpacks taking the same abuse. I think the problem is the videos out there showing them burnin. Problem is, not a single video shows you what the cause was. IMPROPER CHARGING/DAMAGED CELLS. Both of which are user error, not a function of the battery. Look at it this way, simple AA batteries, while they dont exactly explode, will crack open and cause really nasty acid burns.....again, only when charged way, way over limit, just like lipos.
Old 11-08-2010, 10:52 PM
Brainanator

why were you using alligator clips to charge it? [sm=confused.gif]
Old 11-09-2010, 12:53 AM
nitroade

ORIGINAL: mc4798

I would check voltage on the cells and if everything seems good. I would run it.

Just my opinion
Did you mean your thumb or the lipo?
Old 11-09-2010, 01:07 AM
LewAshby
Banned

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Check the voltages of the cells. If they're all ~4.2v (within a few hundredths, assuming you were balance charging) you're good to go.

There is an unnecessary amount of fear-mongering when it comes to LiPo batteries.
Fear-mongering is a necessary evil when it comes to LiPo batteries [:@]
Old 11-09-2010, 01:09 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Whattya gonna do, load the batteries up in train cars to go to an undisclosed location?[&:]
Old 11-09-2010, 01:15 AM
LewAshby
Banned

I have said too much [sm=tired.gif]
Old 11-09-2010, 04:02 AM
Haddi Taha

yeah i tried it today and everything working fine. my venom pro charger today just wouldn't turn on somehow and every time i touched the alloy casing i would get zapped (like static shock). i have had only charged 6 times since the short circut and the battery and the leads were already disconnected from the charger when i shorted it so its not user error. i only bought it last week and it as broken down on me leaving me with 2 charger lipos and thats it. i'm really disapointed, a hate stick packs but till ive sent it back and got a nw one im stuck with a heavy, sluggish, almost dead nimh pack. i guess i have to be patient
Old 11-09-2010, 04:16 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: nitroade

ORIGINAL: mc4798

Just my opinion
Did you mean your thumb or the lipo?
I still use the thumb to this day
Old 11-09-2010, 06:30 AM
sheograth

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I've owned Lipos for years and never has one caught fire or smoked.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:03 AM
FoamyVictim

You REALLY have to make a big boo boo to get these things to burst into flames. That means shorting it out for longer than a "millisecond". It should be fine.
Old 11-09-2010, 11:48 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Fear-mongering is a necessary evil when it comes to LiPo batteries [:@]
agree otherwise people will be complacent, and cause the big boo boo's(as foamy put it) that will cause the pack to burst into flames. Like charging at too high of a current, not balancing, leaving the lipo unattended while charging, and leaving it charge over night to find their kitchen table on fire and a hole through an emaxx
Old 11-09-2010, 01:17 PM
FoamyVictim

If only people would RTFM, in stead of ripping it from the box, throwing a brand new and barely charged lipo in, and rushing outside to run it around in circles in the street... then they wonder why their brand new toy quits working...

Next step, go online and post in every forum they can find, how Company X screwed them with a crappy product... [&:]
Old 11-09-2010, 02:01 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: FoamyVictim

If only people would RTFM, in stead of ripping it from the box, throwing a brand new and barely charged lipo in, and rushing outside to run it around in circles in the street... then they wonder why their brand new toy quits working...

Next step, go online and post in every forum they can find, how Company X screwed them with a crappy product... [&:]
Happens all the time with nitro. One of the reasons it has such a bad rep IMO. People don't break em in, don't read how to tune the engine, and run them at 100% throttle lean on its 1st tank and trash em

One of the only reasons RTR's are kinda bad. People had to RTFM to put the kit together prior
Old 11-09-2010, 02:18 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

i have been using lipo for over 3 years now. never had one burst into flames.
i had one die, cause i left it in my plane plugged in. the ESC just drained the lipo. o volts per cell. but it didnt even swell.
i do have one 2s 5000mah pack that puffed just alittle. i think i had my truck overgeared. i still use the lipo, i just check that the cells are properly balanced before i use it.
Old 11-09-2010, 03:21 PM
Brainanator

yeah i tried it today and everything working fine. my venom pro charger today just wouldn't turn on somehow and every time i touched the alloy casing i would get zapped (like static shock). i have had only charged 6 times since the short circut and the battery and the leads were already disconnected from the charger when i shorted it so its not user error. i only bought it last week and it as broken down on me leaving me with 2 charger lipos and thats it. i'm really disapointed, a hate stick packs but till ive sent it back and got a nw one im stuck with a heavy, sluggish, almost dead nimh pack. i guess i have to be patient
I'm so confused reading this post
Old 11-09-2010, 04:37 PM
FoamyVictim

ORIGINAL: Brainanator

yeah i tried it today and everything working fine. my venom pro charger today just wouldn't turn on somehow and every time i touched the alloy casing i would get zapped (like static shock). i have had only charged 6 times since the short circut and the battery and the leads were already disconnected from the charger when i shorted it so its not user error. i only bought it last week and it as broken down on me leaving me with 2 charger lipos and thats it. i'm really disapointed, a hate stick packs but till ive sent it back and got a nw one im stuck with a heavy, sluggish, almost dead nimh pack. i guess i have to be patient
I'm so confused reading this post
Translation:

"I somehow fried my charger"
Old 11-09-2010, 05:25 PM
Brainanator

can you decipher how he fried it? lol
Old 11-09-2010, 05:31 PM
traxxas_guru

i was expecting fire, but nothing could have prepared me for how much smoke came out of there!

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rjesXo7GtQ[/youtube]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.