Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

180 sized motor?

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2010, 12:58 AM
deviltrigger529

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 180 sized motor?

Hey guys, I've had an old Tyco buggy(Aero Turbo Hopper) sitting in my attic for a long time before I really got into RC and now that I'm into it I would like to try to resurrect it and updating it if possible. Its never worked since I've had it so I would like to gut it completely and throw in a modern ESC with a brushed motor if I can. It uses a 180 sized motor and I cant seem to find any that are completely round if it makes a difference. Theres one on Tower Hobbies but its meant for a plane or something and its oval shaped. Due to the way the motor mounts and the gearbox I cant really use any other size motor so does anyone know of any 180 sized brushed motors along with an ESC I could use?

And BTW, I already posted in the toy grade section and havent gotten anything in 4 days so I'm coming here.
Old 11-12-2010, 04:20 AM
Slo-V Flyer

Default RE: 180 sized motor?

I can't say I've seen any 180 motors that are round. If I understand you correctly, you are looking for the 180 sized motor that has a round can, instead of the flattened top and bottom? I think most 180's come in the flattened shape and not round unless you go up to 200 size or 280 size.

Is it a possibility to use a 20mm small brushless motor like a mini Mamba? It doesn't have to be a crazy fast Mamba, just the motor size I meant. There's plenty of cheapy cheap brushless low Kv motors in and around that diameter on HK I think. I understand if you don't want brushless.

Have you googled for small 180 motors?
Old 11-12-2010, 08:14 AM
J.D.T

First off did you hook it to a battery to make sure the motor don't work?Does it say 180 on it somewhere, how did you determine its a 180?
What is the length and diameter of the motor you are looking at in MM.

130 and 180 motors are 20.4 mm round, its the length that makes it different from what I have seen is lenght both have a 12.4 mm bolt pattern, the 130 are usually a 25 mm long can, 180 is 32 mm long normally. The oval motors you are finding should have no problem bolting in. I also have never4 seen a completely round 180 motor.

Brushless 20mm motors can be had for $8-15, 1/18 brushless combos go from $40 for ez run, $99 for a novak with the two castles versions a little lower and a little higher so I don't know what kinda money you want to have in it but it should not be bad at all.
Old 11-12-2010, 10:43 AM
4goodbuys2

Check on hobby king for a inrunner I imagine they have a brushless in that size.
http://www.amazon.com/Megatech-Brush.../dp/B000ZVDEF2 here's one but its to high I bet you could find the whole set up on hk for under $30 but it probly would have a different classification on hk probly not called 180.

Old 11-13-2010, 01:38 AM
deviltrigger529

Slo-V: Yeah I'm talking about a round can 180 sized motor, like I said the one on Tower has the flat top and bottom. I actually didnt even look at brushless systems but it wouldnt matter either way.

JDT: It actually runs off of 8 AAs and yes I did try that a couple times and I get nothing from anything in the car, not even the power light. I actually already gutted it and and found multiple wires disconnected so I'm not even going to bother getting the stock electronics going.

I'm actually not sure now as to what size the motor is, from what I got the can is 28.5mm long and 22.2mm around.

I snapped a few pics to show what I'm talking about.

Size comparison with slash to start:

The motor is only held in place by a plastic end cap that gets screwed into the rear end:

Open motor hole in rear end:

Stock electronics(minus the futaba servo box lol):

Buggy with body on:

Maybe it'll just be easier to buy a mini to run around the house lol. I'm not sure how I would mount the motor to the rear end since the stock one was held on by an end cap which will probably only work with the stock motor. Unless maybe I can drill a hole on the other side of the rear end for a screw to go through into the motor.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:59 AM
Brainanator
My Feedback: (1)

What JDT asked was if you cut the wires from the motor and put a battery directly to the motor leads. This will test if it is a circuitry problem or a motor problem. Chances are that your motor is still just fine. good luck fixing it up. Steering will probably be the hardest part to figure out.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:43 AM
deviltrigger529

Oh I didn't even think of that lol, how would I go about doing that, never done it before.

And actually the steering was the easiest to figure out. I took a standard servo and placed it where the original one was and it fit almost perfectly, just need to to a little trimming and cutting and it'll fit right in.
Old 11-13-2010, 02:54 PM
Brainanator

just cut the motor wires (close to the board, not the motor) strip a little insulation back, and place one wire on one side of a AA batt, and the other wire on the other side. A singe AA should be able to tell you if the motor still works or not.
Old 11-13-2010, 03:45 PM
deviltrigger529

Ok then, just tried that out and the motor still spins so I guess the hardest part is out of the way lol. So now then, what kind of ESC could I use for this? I guess any kind of brushed micro ESC? All I really need is the ESC since I have a servo and a spare radio system to throw in it.
Old 11-13-2010, 05:29 PM
Brainanator

the current draw can't be that big....I'd say most micro sized brushed ESCs would work. But I have no experience with anything that small.
Old 11-14-2010, 12:12 AM
deviltrigger529

I actually have a spare Traxxas XL-5 ESC laying around that I dont have a motor for, would that work?
Old 11-14-2010, 12:31 AM
Brainanator

That would be overkill, but it'll work. Might be too big and bulky for the little car. But if you can make it fit it'll be fine.
Old 11-14-2010, 01:58 AM
deviltrigger529

Meh, I dont care if its overkill or not lol, its just a little side project I wanted to try to throw together with what I had, and if it will work, I'll use it. If it does, I'll have spent nothing lol.

EDIT: I do have a question about a battery to use. It originally ran off of 8 AAs, and AAs are 1.5v each which would equal 12 volts right? For a little car and motor that sounds like alot... There must be something I'm missing. I have a bunch of older 6- and 7-cell NiMH batteries that I was going to see if I could use with this.
Old 11-14-2010, 03:31 AM
Brainanator

You can try it on 6s NiMH to see if it works, if not hit with 7s NiMH. I think the XL-5 can go up to 8s NiMH, more than that is pushing it (and will weigh a ton in that little car)
Old 11-14-2010, 08:07 PM
J.D.T

aa are 1.2 nominal so 8 is 9.6, most are flat packs like a square, tenergy sells a 2000 mah version for like $15, all battery and all them guys should have a normal 4 wide 2 row 9.6 pack also, if your close to a Toys R US they got em for $21, the xl 5 esc is rated for 8 cells so there should be no problems there, if you got room you can always jump to a 7 or 8 cell sub c sized pack for longer runtimes.
Old 11-14-2010, 08:56 PM
deviltrigger529

Oh ok that sounds more like it, I might throw in one of my 9.9v LiFes since I've used them tons of times on my buddies stock slash with the XL-5. The body and chassis are already cut out to accept the sub C batteries since I had a bunch of them and it works pretty well.

Anyway, on to some great news, I actually got everything together and up and running last night! I was in the basement wrenching on it until 5:30 AM cuz I lost track of time lol, but I did get it done. I've dubbed it "Frankenbuggy."

I cut the chassis almost in half to fit a battery in there lol, but its actually a nice tight fit and helps to re-strengthen the chassis. The receiver is tucked under the steering servo next to the ESC. It all fit pretty perfectly.

I do have a problem though. Whenever the wheels are centered and I turn the wheel to one side and that back to center, the wheels over-rotate past center and are turned a little bit the other way and stop there instead of centered so driving it is rather challenging. Would a radio with end point adjustments and other features be able to fix that?

Other than that it drives great and I've ran it with a 6- and 7-cell and its actually pretty quick for being a tyco and how small it is.