Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc
View Poll Results: A poll
4WD
62.96%
2WD
37.04%
Voters: 27. You may not vote on this poll

What is your preference for 2 or 4WD Short Course Racer

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2011, 08:34 AM
ScaleJK4x4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What is your preference for 2 or 4WD Short Course Racer

I am looking at getting into the short course hobby and I have a couple questions and in the end, looking to get an overall recommendation.
First off what is recommended, 4wd or 2wd. Please give me some pros and cons for both. I always love the 1:1 full scale 4wd CORR trucks, but with these trucks is there any advantage with 4wd.
Second, by reading thing on the internet I think I have narrowed my choices down to the Losi xxx-SCT, the SC10/ SC10 4x4, the Blitz, or the Traxxis Slash/ Slash4x4. How is the Losi Ten-SCTE 4wd (couldnt find much on that model).
A couple of the aspects I am looking for is value, durability, options to upgrade (aftermarket parts), and speed.
In a way, i would like a Kit that i can have the experience of putting it together but RTR is fine. One things i am confused by is when you buy a kit, are you restricted to buying the electronics from that company as well. Or can you buy better electronics from another aftermarket company.
Oh and uses. I will be mostly racing it around my 1 acre yard, maybe setting up a race courseetc. Casual racing with other trucks, but nothing serious yet.
I know this is alot, but I recently got turned on by this hobby and I plan on getting one soon and a crawler in the future.
Thank you for all of your help!
Old 01-29-2011, 11:09 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: What is your preference for 2 or 4WD Short Course Racer

If you are just going to bash then get the 4wd Slash..
Old 01-29-2011, 11:11 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are just going to bash then get the 4wd Slash..
Old 01-29-2011, 11:47 AM
ScaleJK4x4

What if i wanted to do more than just "bash". Actually race and stuff. Is the Slash still the best option for starting out.
Old 01-29-2011, 12:07 PM
fighttheban

I have an HPI Blitz which is 2WD, I haven't raced it but from comparing it to my mates 4wd slash the blitz does look more 'race ready' I'm not sure it just looks more suited to racing, however the 4x4 slash has tons more grip and is the better basher IMO as wet grass is a no go for the blitz but the slash handles it just fine
Old 01-29-2011, 12:26 PM
ElectricGuy007

4wd SC10 looks excellent!
Yet it wont be out for a couple months, AE really did thier homework on this one!

Old 01-29-2011, 12:51 PM
Antunes_Bruno

hi.
from the few cars that i drove the 2wd slash was the most funny to drive.
just my "50cents"
Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM
LewAshby
Banned

You can always convert 4wd to 2wd a lot easier than 2wd to 4wd.
Old 01-29-2011, 01:01 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

The Slash 4x4 isa nicebasher and is aok racer on the club level. If you get into racing and start really comparing trucks you will find the Hyper/Jammin trucks to be better suited for racing. It is all what you put into it.

The new SC10 4x4 is going to change things. Im willing to bet it brings a graceful presensce to SC racing. Will proably handle more like a 4wd buggy which is going to be a huge plus.

The sc18 had/has issues with burning up motors/esc and is just about useless unless you run on carpet or a perfectly groomed track.
Old 01-29-2011, 04:38 PM
Slop Jockey

Scale, I see you are from Plant City. There is a nice indoor facility there that runs short course on carpet. It would be a good place to visit and see what others are running. I have been there on a few occasions and they have a decent turnout. The stock SC class is the largest. Check it out.
Old 01-29-2011, 05:13 PM
ScaleJK4x4

ORIGINAL: Slop Jockey

Scale, I see you are from Plant City. There is a nice indoor facility there that runs short course on carpet. It would be a good place to visit and see what others are running. I have been there on a few occasions and they have a decent turnout. The stock SC class is the largest. Check it out.
Hey Slop,

Cool. Do you know where it is? I've only found a couple places in Tampa.

Old 01-29-2011, 05:16 PM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'd grab a 4WD truck. I don't race, so the extra traction in mud/snow would be welcome.

Most likely I'd grab a Slayer, as it is the only nitro 4WD SC I can find that has reverse available...even if you do have to install the reverse yourself...
Old 01-29-2011, 05:41 PM
Slop Jockey

It's off Thonotosassa Rd. right behind BuddyFreddys & Sonny's restaurants. It's addy is 1103 Goldfinch Dr. It's called Fl. Indoor RC Complex.
Old 01-29-2011, 06:00 PM
ScaleJK4x4

ORIGINAL: Slop Jockey

It's off Thonotosassa Rd. right behind BuddyFreddys & Sonny's restaurants. It's addy is 1103 Goldfinch Dr. It's called Fl. Indoor RC Complex.
Thats awesome man. Thanks much! I may check it out tomorrow! Appreciatethe info. What do you race?

Old 01-29-2011, 07:44 PM
ScottStaypuff

For a beginner looking to race and bash I recommend a 2wd, and of the 2wd's I recommend the Blitz. I love mine. Its durable like the Slash and handles like the SC10. I've tested the durability and my buddy consistently places well in races with one.
Old 01-29-2011, 08:24 PM
yotaman1991

Don't even bother with brushed trucks, go brushless, brushed motors are on their way out like vhs and cassette tapes. Unless your are only going to race don't get a 2wd over a 4wd, a 4wd is easier to drive around a track for a newbie too and does the back yord thing better. What kind of budget do you intend on, that will make a big difference too? If you want the best off both worlds get the slash 4x4, I race mine competivily at local tracks and place pretty well with no more than 150 dollars in upgrades. The new losi 4x4 sc looks very nice, will probally be my race preference for the season. Read up on brushless motors, electronic speed controlers or "esc",2.4 radios,and lipo batteriesas you will definetly find yourself wanting them. My slash 4x4 has treated me well but if you want a straight up what to buy answer I would say get the 4x4 losi ten short course(it will be available very soon as you can already preorder them) add anyelectronics of your choice and wait for the smiles to come. welcome to our addiction.

Old 01-30-2011, 01:57 AM
LewAshby
Banned

Brushed motors are not going anywhere.
Old 01-30-2011, 02:58 AM
My Feedback: (4)

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Brushed motors may not be going anywhere, but they're not exactly desirable anymore either. The only reason people still use them is that it only costs 15-30 bucks for a good brushed motor. Once BL tech comes down in price enough the only people who will be running brushed are people with cars that can't support brushless.
Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 AM
res3567

The BL motors are already down....although not the name brand models.However, Castle Creations has a SC setup (motor and esc) that is reasonably priced. I picked up a Tacon for 24.70 with free shipping from Hobbypartzand it performed very well.But you stlll have to upgrade to the brushless ESC, and it looks like those are coming down in price as well.
Old 01-30-2011, 08:07 AM
FoamyVictim

2WD will make you a better driver. I like 4WD, because it's easier. So if you're just getting into racing, I'd suggest 2WD. Its cheaper, and will teach you how to drive.

2WD Race:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=53sLboHKuGQ[/youtube]

Us letting loose in a 4WD race. By the way, before the race started we all agreed to NOT get mad, so ignore the camera man. It was the very last race a this track, so we were hamming it up.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YxRkGrd_dg8[/youtube]
Old 01-30-2011, 10:36 AM
yotaman1991

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

on that note I even hooked up my vcr for my kids to watch an old xxx-main video this morning before church.They are becoming less and less desirable as brushless technology moves along though. as far as a none crawler goes brushless is better, my ax-10 will be my only brushed vechileafter feburary is over. Let's not make this a brushed vs brushless arguement as that isn't really the topic here. But brushless has far more advantages in a offroad land rcs like our short course trucks.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:20 AM
ElectricGuy007

ORIGINAL: yotaman1991

ORIGINAL: Chuck Finley

on that note I even hooked up my vcr for my kids to watch an old xxx-main video this morning before church.[img][/img]They are becoming less and less desirable as brushless technology moves along though. as far as a none crawler goes brushless is better, my ax-10 will be my only brushed vechile after feburary is over. Let's not make this a brushed vs brushless arguement as that isn't really the topic here. But brushless has far more advantages in a offroad land rcs like our short course trucks.
Why is team checkpoint taking thier brushed motors off the market?
It's hard to find those motors anywhere anymore...
Im getting hard to find and difficult to find in the future.
The only brushed motors Tower Hobbies carries is 55T crawler motors.
Old 01-30-2011, 11:38 AM
FoamyVictim

Why is team checkpoint taking thier brushed motors off the market?
It's hard to find those motors anywhere anymore...
Im getting hard to find and difficult to find in the future.
The only brushed motors Tower Hobbies carries is 55T crawler motors.

Read more: http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10...#ixzz1CY6tvq00
The same reason its hard to find Steam Engines. They will become a novelty, something you tell your grand kids about... you know, "Up hill through the snow, both ways..."
Old 01-31-2011, 12:37 AM
ozzie-crawl

i race both 2wd and 4wd, i enjoy both. i dont believe 4wd is easier than 2wd,just 2 different driving styles and means your not pushing the 4wd hard enough if you think its easier