Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

whats a good esc/motor combo for the bandit

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2011, 06:53 PM
hydru85

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default whats a good esc/motor combo for the bandit

i just bought the traxxas bandit wit the xl-5 an the titan 12t motor its the waterproof edition so its brushless ready an im now on my third motor in about 12 cycles so im done wit the titan an ready for brushless but im new so i dont know what im lookin for an i only have about 60-80 dollars so im lookin for the best combo i could get for that
Old 03-20-2011, 08:22 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: whats a good esc/motor combo for the bandit

probably the XL5 with the titan 12t
Old 03-21-2011, 04:49 AM
john01374

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Get yourself a decent 15 turn brushed motor and a smaller pinion and you'll be good to got. I personally like the Speed Gems motors but the brushed stuff is getting harder to find. Stay away from FireBall.
Old 03-21-2011, 06:10 AM
hpiracr28

save up around $150 and get the vxl system. best bang for your buck.

Old 03-21-2011, 06:30 AM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: hpiracr28

no, it's not

for $100 the sidewinder V2 or SCT has more power on 2S, and there's plenty of chinese type stuff that people like well for $80ish

the VXL is overpriced and under featured, I've had a VXL system and it's nice, but it's not any better than the rest of the stuff that's 50-70 bucks cheaper
Old 03-21-2011, 08:31 AM
hpiracr28

well i've never really done research on other setups, i just thought this would be good for his bandit since i have it in mine. plus im not fond of the cheap foreign made stuff like on hobbyking. never kno of the quality till you risk $100
Old 03-21-2011, 09:03 AM
sloppyG

there's no quality issue with Castle, they have tech support in the USA just like traxxas does and they're $50 cheaper than the VXL setup

again, the VXL is a good setup, but it's expensive for what you get much like everything traxxas does
Old 03-21-2011, 11:03 AM
hpiracr28

well i will admit traxxas does have some pricey items. nothing i will ever purchase or need. i have heard many things about castle, just never really looked them up. but if he's only got like $80, he should get something with a good name brand. probably not some off brand. but then again this is just my opinion. name brand thats very well known vs. off brand hidden in the fog.... i like the features of the vxl personally. but for his budget prob a cheap castle system
Old 03-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Speaks for itself...
Save up a little and you will love this combo...
Old 03-21-2011, 12:17 PM
sloppyG

well i will admit traxxas does have some pricey items. nothing i will ever purchase or need. i have heard many things about castle, just never really looked them up. but if he's only got like $80, he should get something with a good name brand. probably not some off brand. but then again this is just my opinion. name brand thats very well known vs. off brand hidden in the fog.... i like the features of the vxl personally. but for his budget prob a cheap castle system
you know the "cheap castle system" has a ton more adjustability and options than the VXL setup does right?

with the castle stuff you can adjust throttle and brake curves individually, you can adjust the amount of drag brake, you can set punch control/torque control to act like a basic traction control system for the RC. you can lock out reverse as well, and it's lipo cutoff is adjustable

much more adjustability than the 3 mode VXL, (reverse off, reverse on, training mode)
Old 03-21-2011, 12:40 PM
electricrc68
Banned

ez run 60A esc with tacon motor.....and 2s lipo.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:06 PM
Captain Rusty

I definitely agree with going to the castle setup. I had the VXL and fried the esc so i switched to the cheaper Castle sidewinder as per several recommendations from this forum and am so glad I did. I didnt think the tuning was going to be a big deal for me since I had never played around with it before, probably because I couldnt with the VXL, but it is quite nice to be able to adjust the throttle curve and the amount of braking seperately as well as all the other things you can adjust on it. Well worth the money saved since you actually gain functions instead of lose them.
Old 03-22-2011, 05:28 PM
rc awesome

Defintally not! VXL motor is decent , but the ecs is crap. Electric68 is right, brushless is better than brushed, and that would be a pretty cheap and reliable setup

Old 03-23-2011, 06:06 AM
hydru85

well ive decided on the castle sidwinder but now im not sure what motor to get an what the best gearing would b right now i only have a 26 an 31 pinion an a 76 spur if i have to ill get more gears but without chaingin gear i dont know what motor to get (4600kv,5700kv,or 6900kv)
Old 03-23-2011, 06:37 AM
sloppyG

I'd look at the SCT version (3800kv), 4600, and 5700 in that order

the SCT version comes with a beast of a motor compared to the CMS36 motors (4600,5700)

and I also like to think about what else you may throw the combo in later, the lower KV the larger vehicle you can throw it in later. if you get the SCT 3800, or 4600 you can throw it in a short course truck later if you want (if you go 3800, you can even throw it in a 4wd sct and still have great power)

the 6900 is going to be too high strung to go in much of anything other than a buggy or a TC so I'd skip that option
Old 03-23-2011, 12:06 PM
hydru85

ya but the sct is a short corse truck setup i have a buggy that wont matter
Old 03-23-2011, 12:15 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: hydru85

ya but the sct is a short corse truck setup i have a buggy that wont matter
who cares what they call it, it's powerful and it fits

Old 03-23-2011, 03:34 PM
Captain Rusty

I still recommend the Velineon motor just not the esc. Only motor I've tried out though and have had no issues so I'm kind of biased towards it. Tons of torque and speed, more then you need thats for sure, I couldn't keep my front tires on the ground for the first few batteries till I learned how to handle the power. Running a 3s with my setup probably helps that problem though
Old 03-23-2011, 06:07 PM
Trick Icarus

you need to stop buying cheepo booboo motors.. save a little more money, and get a castle creations motor and speed control or simply a vxl system.... i have the associated rc10b4 buggy/ or 100 mph+ street raceing truggy, which is pretty much, the same size and everything as the bandit.. i spent a little over $2,000 and built it from scratch buying every upgrade part that you can.. it's now nothing but aluminum, titanium harded steel or carbon, oh and of coarse copper for the liquid cooled radiator i'm adding so the motor will nevr over heat.. you might want to invest in a ryobi heat lazer.. to quickly check your temp after every run. it is the cheapest and best investment for any electric rc.. you can get one at lowes or home depot..
Old 03-23-2011, 06:08 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Captain Rusty

I still recommend the Velineon motor just not the esc. Only motor I've tried out though and have had no issues so I'm kind of biased towards it. Tons of torque and speed, more then you need thats for sure, I couldn't keep my front tires on the ground for the first few batteries till I learned how to handle the power. Running a 3s with my setup probably helps that problem though
have you seen how much the VXL motor costs? by the time you buy a VXL motor and a separate ESC you've spend a ton more money than if you just bought a combo that was compatible with what you want.
Old 03-23-2011, 06:10 PM
sloppyG

ORIGINAL: Trick Icarus

you need to stop buying cheepo booboo motors.. save a little more money, and get a castle creations motor and speed control or simply a vxl system.... i have the associated rc10b4 buggy/ or 100 mph+ street raceing truggy, which is pretty much, the same size and everything as the bandit.. i spent a little over $2,000 and built it from scratch buying every upgrade part that you can.. it's now nothing but aluminum, titanium harded steel or carbon, oh and of coarse copper for the liquid cooled radiator i'm adding so the motor will nevr over heat.. you might want to invest in a ryobi heat lazer.. to quickly check your temp after every run. it is the cheapest and best investment for any electric rc.. you can get one at lowes or home depot..
tell me more about this coarse copper for the radiator, any reason you went with coarse copper over smooth copper?

I'd also like to see some pictures of the harded steel parts you used
Old 03-23-2011, 08:20 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

A: Get the Castle Sidewinder SCT system. You can gear it to the moon and it runs cool.
B: A $2,000 B4 that goes 100 mph...now ThunderbirdJunkie has heard EVERYTHING.
Old 03-24-2011, 01:51 AM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

Castle system comes with a good warranty. Its a good thing otherwise it would be the biggest POS unleashed on the public since the XBOX 360 .

2 grand B4 ? Sombody needs to wake Alice .
Old 03-24-2011, 03:17 AM
plasmaedge

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

A: Get the Castle Sidewinder SCT system. You can gear it to the moon and it runs cool.
B: A $2,000 B4 that goes 100 mph...now ThunderbirdJunkie has heard EVERYTHING.

Did you hear about how a chimpanze nabbed some dudes credit card and ordered a traxxas slash 2wd off of the internet.

then when he received it he turned it into the fastest and best handling sct on the market and wet on to beat durangos and ofnas and win the worlds and rc x games?<meta charset="utf-8">

he even created his own electronics!

</meta>
Old 03-24-2011, 09:39 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ThunderbirdJunkie heard about that one[&:]

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.