Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Whats the good word for a HP Tempest?

Old 04-19-2011, 07:53 PM
jjjjjoey
My Feedback: (1)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whats the good word for a HP Tempest?

Last week I bought a HP Tempest from my local hobby shop (and it wasn't a Hobbypeople). I haven't really owned a RC car, but the salesmen said it was a good intro model. Some of the features he pointed out, and I don't know if they're great or not, were: 4WD, 2600kv brushless motor with 90amp brushless ESC that can take 6cell NiMH or 2-3S Lipos, and 27MHZ transmitter/reciever.
It came with a 2000maH battery and charger. Out the door it was 217.

I took it to track this past sunday (http://www.revrace.com/) and crashed it a couple times. I didn't break anything, so I'm guessing its a sturdy stadium truck. It didn't clear many of the jumps of the 2000maH battery so right after I bought a 3300maH NIMH from Dynamite. I havent ran it on the track yet with the new battery so I'm hopping this gives it more juice to fly. Does any one have any comments or suggestions about this car or for a noob? I've been reading as much as I can, but its hard to grasp it all at once.

This is something I bought so I can have some fun at the track.
Old 04-19-2011, 08:44 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Whats the good word for a HP Tempest?

look at the himoto MEGAE-XB10(or MT10 just diff tires) if you need replacement parts, and cant get them from HP its the same exact truck just diff reseller.

Honestly outside you posting about it I've never heard of the thing (or the Megae that is the same thing). I only found out about the himoto cause I was curious as to who made it (guessing HSP)
Old 04-19-2011, 08:54 PM
res3567

A higher capacity nimhwon't neccesarily give you more boost...just longerrunning times. Lipo battsare what you would want to complement the brushless system and you will definitaly feel more punch......
Old 04-20-2011, 02:31 PM
jjjjjoey

Really? Thanks for that info. I guess I'll look into getting a new Lipo battery + charger instead of another NiHM. I wish I would've known that before I spent 30 bucks for the NiMH. [&o]
Old 04-20-2011, 03:16 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

you can get a turnigy 2s 5000mah lipo and a charger off www.hobbyking.com for around $70-$80
a 2s lipo will make the truck like a whole new machine!

do you have any pics you could post? show a pic of the chassis and electronics. im wondering if redcat sells a version of the same truck. the 90amp ESC may be the same one in redcat's twister models.
Old 04-20-2011, 05:31 PM
jjjjjoey

Why is everything look so inexpensive at hobbyking?

Here are some pics:

Old 04-20-2011, 06:32 PM
Haddi Taha

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That looks pretty cool actually. Anyone know the name of the hsp rebadge? (I can't find Redcat/Himoto/Exceed/HP ect in Australia)
Old 04-20-2011, 11:58 PM
mc4798
My Feedback: (8)

ORIGINAL: Haddi Taha

That looks pretty cool actually. Anyone know the name of the hsp rebadge? (I can't find Redcat/Himoto/Exceed/HP ect in Australia)
Its not a HSP model.

You can find it http://www.himotoracing.com.au/its a xb10 / mt10
Old 04-21-2011, 12:09 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

HP/XTM cars are manufactured by Great Vigor Models.

Also a higher capacity NiMh WILL give you more power, presuming your power system is pushing the current battery to its limits.
Old 04-21-2011, 06:21 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Also a higher capacity NiMh WILL give you more power, presuming your power system is pushing the current battery to its limits.
ahh stand corrected
Figured it was HSP seeing himoto sold it, and they resell a lot of them.
No wonder I couldn't find it sold under redcat, and exceed.

IMO it looks better built than most the HSP's that himoto sells which really caused me to scratch my head when I was looking for it in the 1st place
Old 04-21-2011, 07:07 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

the ESC looks like it may be the same 1 used in the redcat twister pro models. does it say lansu on the esc???

other than that, its all new looking to me.

liking the beafy dogbones.

the included battery is kinda lame, only 2000mah. and for that kinda money it should have come with a 2.4ghz radio.

but other than those 2 points, it looks like a good model for the money. looks tough and like it will handle well.

if you go 2s lipo you will be much more impressed with it. i would imagine that it does 30mph now, but a 2s lipo will do 35ish and be faster accelerating.

Old 04-21-2011, 07:11 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

and for that kinda money it should have come with a 2.4ghz radio.
That would imply a 2.4ghz RTR radio is any better than any other RTR radio.
Old 04-21-2011, 07:15 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

and for that kinda money it should have come with a 2.4ghz radio.
That would imply a 2.4ghz RTR radio is any better than any other RTR radio.
dont mean to imply that. a quality AM or FM radio is fine. but it is nice to get a RTR with a 2.4ghz and not have to worry when running with others if anyone else has the same frequency. thats all.
there are certainly AM and FM radios that are higher quality than say a flysky 2.4 radio.
its just my preference to have a basic 2.4 over a fancy FM or AM radio.
but then, i bash. never race. so a basic 2.4 works just fine and i dont have to worry about changing crystals when i run with friends.
Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 PM
jjjjjoey

Is there anyway to know that is happening?

the ESC looks like it may be the same 1 used in the redcat twister pro models. does it say lansu on the esc???

other than that, its all new looking to me.

liking the beafy dogbones.

the included battery is kinda lame, only 2000mah. and for that kinda money it should have come with a 2.4ghz radio.

but other than those 2 points, it looks like a good model for the money. looks tough and like it will handle well.

if you go 2s lipo you will be much more impressed with it. i would imagine that it does 30mph now, but a 2s lipo will do 35ish and be faster accelerating.
From what I can see, I couldn't see anything with Lansu on it. And the battery is weak only bc I know now there are better ones out.
The radio is ok with me. It was funny to watch the others at the track that have an after market radio with a short antenna and me pull out mine that's three feet long.
Hopefully soon I can get that 2s lipo battery, but they're kinda expensive. However, my goal right now is to take it to the track and be able to clear most of the jumps they have. lol
Old 04-21-2011, 05:50 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: jjjjjoey

Yeah, put a better battery in it[8D] Also, heat of the battery is a direct indicator of how much you're pulling from it. If the battery is cool, you're not using it to anywhere near its limits.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:49 AM
jjjjjoey

Yeah, put a better battery in it[8D] Also, heat of the battery is a direct indicator of how much you're pulling from it. If the battery is cool, you're not using it to anywhere near its limits.
Thanks.
I did notice the battery is warm to the touch- actually a lil hot, but not hot enough to burn my hands.

I thinking about getting a Lipo battery from http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=14991
Anyone think this is a bad buy? I went to RCplanet.com come and the batteries there are way more expensive.
Can anyone suggest a charger too? I'm looking for the Lipo thread I saw a while ago, but can seem to find it.

THanks again.
Old 04-24-2011, 11:56 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Dynamite Passport Ultra is the best charger money can buy if you don't already have a 12v 25a power supply. Bang for the buck it beats even the HK chargers ITJBHO. Charges up to 8 amps, has a recovery mode (the Turnigy Accucels do not have this, and most of the other HK chargers don't), built in 100w power supply, AC/DC, it's just the cat's **** when it comes to chargers. ThunderbirdJunkie currently uses a Turnigy Accucel 6, but realistically, while it's a good charger for 20 bucks, you need a power supply and it just doesn't do as much.

Do you have room for the battery leads to go forward like they are on that battery? If so, they'll be fine.
Old 04-24-2011, 09:14 PM
jjjjjoey

Dynamite Passport Ultra is the best charger money can buy if you don't already have a 12v 25a power supply. Bang for the buck it beats even the HK chargers ITJBHO. Charges up to 8 amps, has a recovery mode (the Turnigy Accucels do not have this, and most of the other HK chargers don't), built in 100w power supply, AC/DC, it's just the cat's **** when it comes to chargers. ThunderbirdJunkie currently uses a Turnigy Accucel 6, but realistically, while it's a good charger for 20 bucks, you need a power supply and it just doesn't do as much.

Do you have room for the battery leads to go forward like they are on that battery? If so, they'll be fine.
What do you mean if I have room for the leads? The current connector on the car is the T-style. Could I just make the connector on the Lipo a female T-style? The Dynamite Passport Ultra seem ideal-but really I don't know what to look for when you tell me specs-could someone suggest a charger from HK?
Old 04-24-2011, 09:17 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Where the leads come out of the battery. If you have room in front of the battery for the leads. Not talking at all about the plug.

And by T-style do you mean fake Deans that has shorted more than a few ESC's that ThunderbirdJunkie has seen? Just curious.
Old 04-25-2011, 02:39 PM
jjjjjoey

Where the leads come out of the battery. If you have room in front of the battery for the leads. Not talking at all about the plug.

And by T-style do you mean fake Deans that has shorted more than a few ESC's that ThunderbirdJunkie has seen? Just curious.
I think I know what you mean...?

The user manual for the Tempest says it can use a 2-3s Lipo, so there should be room. Also the car came with the Deans style connector-I hope it isnt bootleg. lol

Old 04-25-2011, 03:19 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

The user manual for the Tempest says it can use a 2-3s Lipo, so there should be room. Also the car came with the Deans style connector-I hope it isnt bootleg. lol

2-3s lipos come in all sorts of sizes. Some will fit some won't. you have to measure your battery compartment, then look at the dimensions of the battery, and how the wire exits
Old 04-25-2011, 06:47 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

It is not a real Deans. Only Team Associated and HPI use real Deans plugs on their cars.