Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Building a 1/10 Electric Truggy - newbie needs advice

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2011, 12:45 PM
Mysterious

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Building a 1/10 Electric Truggy - newbie needs advice

Ok, so I've decided I'm going to build a 1/10 electric truggy... no sense going to the local race track and only getting to run every 30-45 minutes with my Savage Flux in between classes cycling through.

So this is a 2 part question... I'm considering 2 options for the build...

1)The LHS guy in an email to me suggested considering converting at LOSI 1/10 TEN-T Truggy RTR from Nitro to electric.

http://www.horizonhobby.com/Products...rodID=LOSB0126

I have to say I really love the look of this truggy and its tires and getting that great Tx included in the package is pretty sweet. My 2 sub questions are:

a)Regarding the Tx, would it be good to use for a crawler too? I didn't see any mention of buttons that would flip you thru the 4 different wheel crawling styles. Before looking at this package I was looking at the Futaba 3PM-X in case I got a crawler in the future. (This is a small side question but a future thought I was curious about)

B)The main question is, can this Ten-T be converted to electric?? If yes, what would I need to buy? I can't find any model specific conversion kit. Would I just buy the same components listed in part 2 of this question (listed below) for my alternate OFNA Hyper 10TT build? Or would you guys recommend different components? If different, what?

NOTE: I'M A TOTAL NEWBIE TO BUILDS... and still learning electronics in R/C... So I'm looking for advice to buy quality components that will have TOP performance. My skill level is newbie but I want this build to have the power/performance that will allow me to challenge for a win every race as my driving improves.

2)If the above option is not a good avenue to pursue, my alternative build is a OFNA Hyper 10TT.

I hijacked some of these components from someone elses potential build thread. Are the components listed below everything I need? If not, please tell me what else I need to (or should) buy. If there is a better choice of components, please suggest it... as mentioned above I want this baby to fly, excellent performance.

OFNA Hyper 10TT Pro 1/10 Electric Truggy Rolling Chassis (80% Assembled)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...s-80-Assembled

Futaba S3305 High-Torque Standard Servo w/Metal Gears
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXDWF8&P=ML

Castle Creations Sidewinder 1/10 Scale Short Course Brushless Combo w/Neu-Castle 1410 (3800kV)
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...Package-3800kV

Turnigy 5200mAh 2S 30C Hard-Case Car Lipo Pack
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbycity/s...dProduct=14991

Futaba 3PM-X 3-Channel 2.4GHz Transmitter/Receiver (R603FF)
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXXRL8&P=0

THANKS IN ADVANCE FOR ANY & ALL REPLIES!!!
Old 06-29-2011, 08:27 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Default RE: Building a 1/10 Electric Truggy - newbie needs advice

Most of what you picked out is really really good budget equipment. The 3305 is a strong, reliable servo (although not fast).

Are you planning on racing this truck?
Old 06-30-2011, 05:26 AM
Mysterious

Yes, I was planning on using this truggy to race in the local RC club.... the club is 50 people... maybe 25 guys are regulars at the track... think about 5-10 run in the 1/10 electric buggy/truggy class.... of that group 2-3 guys are really good, the others are good weekend racers & casual racers. You said my listed components are really good "budget" equipment... do you have any suggestions for better performing components??

I know you're going to ask the budget question... the above OFNA components track in around $550-570... I'm willing to invest more if the components will provide noticably better performance or are a better quality buy... I'm building this with the thought that'll I'll be running it for a few years. (I bought a Savage Flux so clearly I'm willing to spend more $ for better quality) So, maybe $800 as a ceiling... throw out what you're thinking... I'm one of those people that if I see something I like & it makes sense a few more $ here or there isn't not going to kill me.
Old 06-30-2011, 06:08 AM
proanti1
My Feedback: (2)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Ten T uses a great chassis, but I am not sure if there are drop in conversions out there. The 8ight conversion may work, but I am not 100% sure, I know some of it wont and you would probably need to modify the chassis to accept the motor mount. If you are planning on converting one, dont buy the ready to run version, get a roller off ebay.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:15 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: proanti1

The Ten T uses a great chassis, but I am not sure if there are drop in conversions out there. The 8ight conversion may work, but I am not 100% sure, I know some of it wont and you would probably need to modify the chassis to accept the motor mount. If you are planning on converting one, dont buy the ready to run version, get a roller off ebay.
Is there a roller version of the Ten-T? Never seen it.

Got any recommendations for the OFNA route instead?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:22 AM
proanti1

Losi doesn't sell a roller, but there are tons on ebay for some reason.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Team-Losi-Te...item1c1c5d8f58

This one is a little on the expensive side, but I picked up one for $185 2 months ago so I could have replacement parts for my 810. I have no idea about the ofna, but it looks to be a nice little car... its would also save you some money.
Old 06-30-2011, 10:00 AM
Mysterious

Maybe it'd be best just to build the OFNA... I'm not a builder so I don't really want to worry about whether or not the components I buy will fit properly in something that used to be nitro... likely safer to get a kit designed to be built electric.

So... whats the best components I could put in the OFNA??? Are there better choices than the components listed? More powerful motors? Better servo? etc, etc????
Old 06-30-2011, 10:07 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Ten SCTE parts can be used to convert a Ten T to electric.

The servo you're using isn't particularly fast...something quick and reasonably priced ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend is the Spektrum S6040. 178? oz in of torque and .08 second transit time...it's fast and torquey. It's $80 most places, but the specs are on par with far more expensive digital servos.

As far as the speed control/motor, Novak's got some decent Havoc 3S combos for around $150, and an 8.5t would be good. Mind you, the power will be about the same as the Castle 3800 SCT motor, but the feel will be far better on the track being sensored. Then you could also go Tekin RS Pro/7.5 or whatever if it's big power you're looking for, but ITBJHO the Castle 3800 Sidewinder system will be enough until the speed control pukes. Mind you, Castle HAS updated the Sidewinder SCT/SV2 speed control, so while you may never have a single problem, just know it's to be expected and use that opportunity to upgrade.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:18 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
Ten SCTE parts can be used to convert a Ten T to electric.
Is the conversion much different than the OFNA build? My concern would be getting into a situation of needing to improvise & mod stuff a totally newbie would get thrown by... I'm not a builder...

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie
The servo you're using isn't particularly fast...something quick and reasonably priced ThunderbirdJunkie would recommend is the Spektrum S6040. 178? oz in of torque and .08 second transit time...it's fast and torquey. It's $80 most places, but the specs are on par with far more expensive digital servos.

As far as the speed control/motor, Novak's got some decent Havoc 3S combos for around $150, and an 8.5t would be good. Mind you, the power will be about the same as the Castle 3800 SCT motor, but the feel will be far better on the track being sensored. Then you could also go Tekin RS Pro/7.5 or whatever if it's big power you're looking for, but ITBJHO the Castle 3800 Sidewinder system will be enough until the speed control pukes. Mind you, Castle HAS updated the Sidewinder SCT/SV2 speed control, so while you may never have a single problem, just know it's to be expected and use that opportunity to upgrade.
I believe these are the parts you mentioned...

http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Surface-Servo
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...-Connector-85T
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...otor-Combo-75T

The servo seems like a solid buy. Question on the Castle vs Havoc vs Tekin....

1) IYHO the Castle & Havoc are pretty much the same power/performance output... but you feel the Novak ESC is better quality/more reliable, yes?

2) Havoc vs Tekin... I don't know many name brands nor performance... I take it Tekin is the stuff the big boys use on racing circuits? Top $ but top power, more than your average weekend racer would use... correct? When you say "big power", can you quantify that? For example, do you mean something like top end speed of 10mph more, or better acceleration, or 10% more performance.. or... ? Just trying to understand how much more power you're talking.
Old 06-30-2011, 11:33 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie

Power is mostly acceleration.

The Tekin stuff is more reilable and just generally better than Novak's stuff. Novak has some good budget get-into-it racing setups.

The Tekin 8.5 and the Novak 8.5 are going to be very similar for power, but Tekin uses higher quality components. One thing ThunderbirdJunkie DOES like about the Novak motors is that all the parts, including the stator, are replaceable, whereas if you want to replace a Tekin stator, you basically buy a new motor. Other than that, motor-wise, they're equals for performance.

The Tekin has a lot more adjustability than the Novak Havoc. The Havoc is a lower-end more beginner-friendly speedo...if you're going to compare Tekin vs Novak, you'd be best off comparing the Kinetic to the RS/RS Pro...but the Tekin speedos are just better. The Kinetic is still a ramping speed control with adjustable timing and all that stuff, so no worries there.

You're not going to be unhappy with the Novak stuff by any stretch, but you're definitely going to be happiER with the Tekin stuff.
Old 06-30-2011, 12:01 PM
Mysterious

Ok, so its a quality of parts difference... the Havocs like 10k gold, and the Tekin is like 14k gold in terms of quality.... both good gold, but one is better made. And the Tekin has more programable features on the ESC... I see that now having read your reply and having reread their descriptions... more options for tuning and setups.... ok, that's a bit clearer in my mind, much appreciated are your replies.

One last question on that servo... its description says " The Z connectors allows for compatibility with JR and Spektrum receivers as well as any receiver that uses a Z type connector." Are Futaba Rxs Z connected??

I have not decided on what Tx to buy but as mentioned I was initially looking at the Futaba 3PM-X 3-Channel 2.4GHz if buying a Tx separate.... it comes with a R603FF Rx...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-3PM-3PK-4PK
Old 06-30-2011, 06:29 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

Ok, so its a quality of parts difference... the Havocs like 10k gold, and the Tekin is like 14k gold in terms of quality.... both good gold, but one is better made.
ThunderbirdJunkie could not have come up with a better analogy[8D]
One last question on that servo... its description says '' The Z connectors allows for compatibility with JR and Spektrum receivers as well as any receiver that uses a Z type connector.'' Are Futaba Rxs Z connected??
"Z" connector means it doesn't have the ear that Futaba servos have. It will plug directly into the slot on the receiver no problemo.
I have not decided on what Tx to buy but as mentioned I was initially looking at the Futaba 3PM-X 3-Channel 2.4GHz if buying a Tx separate.... it comes with a R603FF Rx...
http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...er-3PM-3PK-4PK
The 3PMX is an excellent radio and honestly has more adjustments than ThunderbirdJunkie will ever need. That being said, it didn't prevent him from upgrading to a 3PK.

The R603FS and FF are the FASST receivers. Not sure what you're asking here?
Old 06-30-2011, 07:31 PM
Mysterious

Was just asking if the Futaba Rx could have the Spektrum servo plug-in thru the Z connector........

@ThunderbirdJunkie - don't hate me for this but I went to the track tonigtht and a guy I'd never met before just finished converting the Losi Ten-T to an electric. He's gonna eail me all the parts he used to do his conversion... would u mind if I posted in here when I get them to have you give me your 2 cents on his recommended setup? I like getting opinions from a couple knowledgable guys on stuff before buying.... if what he did I can afford I think I'll try it since the Ten-T looks a bit beefer strength-wise & I love the look.
Old 06-30-2011, 07:34 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

That's no problem at all. The Ten T would be a wicked conversion, so do it[8D]
Old 07-01-2011, 07:19 AM
Mysterious

Cool! Can't wait! Here'sa bit of the 1/10 amain nitro buggy guys last night........

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g4ZFBFhqIH0[/youtube]
Old 07-01-2011, 09:16 AM
ilanstylz
My Feedback: (12)

You can either buy this conversion kit:

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcm10tkit

Or buy parts from the scte to convert, I used to own a ten-t that I converted this way, I don't remember all the parts but I remember the total cost was around 50+......

Electric Motor Mount
Battery Tray
A few different types of screws etc
And some other misc. parts....
Old 07-01-2011, 09:58 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: ilanstylz

You can either buy this conversion kit:

http://www.rc-monster.com/proddetail.php?prod=rcm10tkit

Or buy parts from the scte to convert, I used to own a ten-t that I converted this way, I don't remember all the parts but I remember the total cost was around 50+......

Electric Motor Mount
Battery Tray
A few different types of screws etc
And some other misc. parts....
Thanks for the link
Old 07-04-2011, 03:50 PM
Mysterious

Ok, am I missing anything????? The guy in my club emailed me some links......... amain has 10% off today........trying to take advantage if it........... see the attached image to see my current cart...........

The extra Rx is to put in my SAVAGE Flux... do I still need the Specktrum servo for the Ten-T or should I just try what came in the kit??? Am I missing anything?????

http://my.tbaytel.net/rjcella/buy.gif
Old 07-05-2011, 08:02 AM
Mysterious

Ok, so I made the purchase last night!!!!

1 x LOSB0126 Losi 1/10 TEN-T Truggy RTR
1 x LOSB2359 Losi Radio Tray Set
1 x LOSB2412 Losi Top Brace
1 x LOSB2413 Losi Motor Mount w/Adapter
1 x LOSB2415 Losi Battery Tray w/Stop Tab & Foam Pad
2 x LOSB2416 Losi Battery Strap Set (2)
2 x LOSB3436 Losi Mod1 Spur Gear (40T)
1 x TEKTT2243 Tekin Redline SC4X Sensored Brushless 550 Motor (4.5T)
1 x ASC29167 Team Associated DS1015 High Torque/Speed Digital Servo w/Heatsink
1 x WSD1301 Deans Female Ultra Plug (4)
1 x WSD1302 Deans Male Ultra Plug (2)
1 x NOV5851 Novak Assorted 6" Heat Shrink Tubing (Black) (24)

Back Ordered Products
1 x TEKTT2300 Tekin RX8 1/8th Scale Competition Brushless ESC

Still gotta buy 2 6000mah turnigy batteries off hobbyking ......guy in the club is gonna help me with the build......... can't wait!!!!!!!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:14 AM
proanti1

Hey, since you're stripping the nitro stuff out, want to sell the engine to me?

You might want to look into some better tires for that Ten T.
Old 07-05-2011, 09:42 AM
Mysterious

Hi,

RE: Tires... yah, the guy who's gonna convert it for me has his own newly converted Ten-T and is testing it at our track... once he figures out a good set of tires he's gonna tell me & I'll buy then.

Absolutely, I'm looking to sell the engine, exhaust pipe, fuel tank, whatever connecting fuel lines are there, the ROSS starter, etc....... everything that is "nitro" that is coming off it is going to be sold privately or Ebay'd.... it'll all be brand new, not going to see an ounce of fuel.... I'm in Canada, but I was going to have to go figure out shipping costs to potentially Ebay it anyway.... PM me your address and a contact email.... once it comes in and I get everything off the chasis I will take it to the local post office, get it weighed, and figure out what the shipping costs are for standard/express/etc types of delivery and I will let you know asap.... I would not anticipate it would cost too much.

Did you just want the engine or the whole shebang?

Because everything nitro that comes off is being sold. I don't know what I'm asking for all or parts... I have to look online to get an idea of what I should be asking ballpark... if you want it all I'll likely round-figure it more as a package. Anyway, PM me & I'll let you know asap......thanks!
Old 07-20-2011, 06:17 AM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: Mysterious

Ok, so I made the purchase last night!!!!

1 x LOSB0126 Losi 1/10 TEN-T Truggy RTR
1 x LOSB2359 Losi Radio Tray Set
1 x LOSB2412 Losi Top Brace
1 x LOSB2413 Losi Motor Mount w/Adapter
1 x LOSB2415 Losi Battery Tray w/Stop Tab & Foam Pad
2 x LOSB2416 Losi Battery Strap Set (2)
2 x LOSB3436 Losi Mod1 Spur Gear (40T)
1 x TEKTT2243 Tekin Redline SC4X Sensored Brushless 550 Motor (4.5T)
1 x ASC29167 Team Associated DS1015 High Torque/Speed Digital Servo w/Heatsink
1 x WSD1301 Deans Female Ultra Plug (4)
1 x WSD1302 Deans Male Ultra Plug (2)
1 x NOV5851 Novak Assorted 6'' Heat Shrink Tubing (Black) (24)

Back Ordered Products
1 x TEKTT2300 Tekin RX8 1/8th Scale Competition Brushless ESC

Still gotta buy 2 6000mah turnigy batteries off hobbyking ......guy in the club is gonna help me with the build......... can't wait!!!!!!!!!

Are these the correct batteres cell count (2S) wise to buy for the above setup? Or should I looking at 3S?

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...case_pack.html
Old 07-20-2011, 08:06 AM
KRO

3s will be too much for that motor , and I would look for a higher rated pack than that 25c rating as those batteries might not keep up with the demand of that system . Everything else looks good but you might want to get a set of hardened cross pins for the diffs as the stockers are pretty soft and known to not last very long under brushless power .

Here is a link too the website for the hardened pins , he also has other parts for the diffs as well .
[link]http://mysite.verizon.net/res8x8be/atteberyperformanceengineering/[/link]
Old 07-20-2011, 06:07 PM
Mysterious

ORIGINAL: KRO

3s will be too much for that motor , and I would look for a higher rated pack than that 25c rating as those batteries might not keep up with the demand of that system . Everything else looks good but you might want to get a set of hardened cross pins for the diffs as the stockers are pretty soft and known to not last very long under brushless power .

Here is a link too the website for the hardened pins , he also has other parts for the diffs as well .
[link]http://mysite.verizon.net/res8x8be/atteberyperformanceengineering/[/link]
Thanks for the link....

What discharge rate would you suggest?
Old 07-20-2011, 06:49 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie

x2. ThunderbirdJunkie would get the Jammin aluminum hexes for the SCTE and run 2.2" truck tires all around.