Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Ruslter VXL with Proline Trenchers 2.8

Old 07-16-2011, 05:26 AM
Joecool73

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Ruslter VXL with Proline Trenchers 2.8

Heres a couple of pics with my new Proline Trencher 2.8 on the stock wheels. They are sweet. Added about an inch to the height to the model. Also added an inch to the width of the tire too. More ground clearance for bashing is always a good thing.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Rp42674.jpg
Views:	663
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1635856   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca81247.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1635857   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ca83082.jpg
Views:	786
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	1635858  
Old 07-16-2011, 05:31 AM
Joecool73

Default RE: Ruslter VXL with Proline Trenchers 2.8

Also Using 19/83 gearing for the bigger tires as well.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:28 AM
Link119
My Feedback: (1)

Why is one picture upside down [&:]

The tires make it look like a 4x4
Old 07-16-2011, 07:29 AM
Joecool73

Yeah the tires definitely do. I caught a good sale on them so I thought Id give it a shot. Ordered a set of Pro line badlands too. The badlands are about stock width but just as high as the trenchers. I am running hot with the 19/83 gearing in my yard. Dropped down to a 16/83 and see how that goes. Ive flipped over on turning a couple of times already. Its funny how a little inch more of ground clearance really makes the cg higher. I do like the higher clearance and am still pulling mid 30s mph on my street out front I think. I'm running 2 parallel 3S 25C 2200 nano techs and my run time is a little over 30 minutes.
Old 07-16-2011, 08:02 AM
Captain Rusty

ORIGINAL: Link119

Why is one picture upside down[&:]
The tires make it look like a 4x4

Cause he's obviously defying gravity! LOL
Those tires do make for a very beefy looking car. What size battery are you running? Have you thought about getting an alumium gear box to help combat the high motor temps? If your on the upper end of temps, 180ish, you should see about a 30° drop in temps just by switching the gear box. It acts as a giant heat sink for your motor so you should even be able to run the same gearing maybe a little higher. The integy one is the cheapest I've seen but also seems to be the one that has had the most defects but still a small amount of them. Golden Horizon makes one for about 10 bucks more and comes with a lifetime warranty.

Old 07-16-2011, 11:11 AM
Joecool73

Good tip. Ive heard on aluminum gearboxes and heat sinks on the motor themselves as well as the obvious traxxas fan on the esc. If it really drops the motor temps by 30 degrees that is amazing. I actually called traxxas a few days ago about the LVC cutting on early as from what Ive read a lot of people had similar problems with good batteries. Mine in particular were still showing like 3.9 to 4.0 per cell when it happened. I just unplug the esc then plug it back then then it seems fine. Im sure you guys already now that the LVC on the VXL is about 3.4. Im still under warranty I just bought it new like 2 weeks ago from Tower Hobbies. Traxxas and Tower Hobby have great customer support however, as they already emailed me a RMA shipping label and free shipping. Just bummed that Iwant to drive it not wait for a new one. Any way when I was on the phone with traxxas they agreed that LVCis approx. 3.4. And Iasked him about the above upgrades and the guy was very nice and knowledgeable for sure. He told me that doing that is putting a band aid on the overlying problem of being over geared. Also told me that its not possible to under gear it. Having said that, Im on the fence about the aluminum gearbox. I agree if it does drop 30 degrees just by installing it, I might give it a shot.
Old 07-16-2011, 12:23 PM
cbaumler

Is true. One of the best upgrades I've made to mine.
Old 07-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Joecool73

Still running hot with the Trenchers 2.8 . Going to try a set of 2.8 badlands. They arent as wide or tall as the Trenchers. Maybe the dirt hawks as well. What is a good stock tire replacement on these things? Want to stay as close to spec as the stock tires. Dirt hawk specs seem to be pretty close. I can tell you that the Trenchers balloon a lot on my Rustler.
Old 07-18-2011, 05:11 PM
rayndog3

What temp is the motor and esc getting to?

ORIGINAL: Joecool73

Still running hot with the Trenchers 2.8 . Going to try a set of 2.8 badlands. They arent as wide or tall as the Trenchers. Maybe the dirt hawks as well. What is a good stock tire replacement on these things? Want to stay as close to spec as the stock tires. Dirt hawk specs seem to be pretty close. I can tell you that the Trenchers balloon a lot on my Rustler.
Old 07-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Joecool73

Didn't have my temp gun on me but the esc fast flashed red on the esc and cut my power to 50 percent. Was still running 16/83 gearing with the 2.8 trenchers. Was off road at the time at the baseball field near my house after work yesterday. All I know is I didn't have this problem off road with the stock traxxxas tires running 16/83 or 19/83 at the same baseball field. I did overheat with the traxxas stock tires on the same baseball field when I ran 25/83 which is why I don't like to go over a 19 tooth pinion when I'm going off road. My only conclusion seems to be these trencher tires are big so I might need like a stampede gearing on here. Maybe like a 13/90? Not sure but I'm actually going to try the front stock ribbed traxxas tires and rear badlands and see how that goes with a 16/83 gearing. What so you think?
Old 07-19-2011, 03:01 AM
rayndog3

How long were you runningbefore thermal protection kicked in? I've got somebig oletires on my son's rustler,which hasa 15T brushed motor, I've got that sucker geared down to 13/90 to keep the motor in decent operating temp, so if thosetrenchers are that big that might be the routeyou'll have to take. but honestly, thatgearing sucks, it hits topend so quick its almost boring, andhe's running lipos on it and its stillsoooooslow.Definitely give the other sets of tires a shot and see what it does. I would always recommend taking the temp gun with you to monitor the temps constantly, especially on warm days during the summer.

Here's a picture of the tires on my son's for your comparison.

ORIGINAL: Joecool73

Didn't have my temp gun on me but the esc fast flashed red on the esc and cut my power to 50 percent. Was still running 16/83 gearing with the 2.8 trenchers. Was off road at the time at the baseball field near my house after work yesterday. All I know is I didn't have this problem off road with the stock traxxxas tires running 16/83 or 19/83 at the same baseball field. I did overheat with the traxxas stock tires on the same baseball field when I ran 25/83 which is why I don't like to go over a 19 tooth pinion when I'm going off road. My only conclusion seems to be these trencher tires are big so I might need like a stampede gearing on here. Maybe like a 13/90? Not sure but I'm actually going to try the front stock ribbed traxxas tires and rear badlands and see how that goes with a 16/83 gearing. What so you think?
Old 07-19-2011, 04:06 AM
Joecool73

Thermal kicked in about 10 minutes into the run. I was running WOT. Right on those are some big tires. I am running 2 3s 2200 25c in parallel and stock traxxas 2.8 wheels. I agree, gearing down too much is kinda boring. Im personally used to a 25/83 on road myself. Off road 16 or 19/83 . Im re gluing the new badland tires as we speak before I goto work. Im going to try the ribbed stock traxxas front tires and the badlands for the rear with the same 16/83 gearing and see how that goes. I do like trying to experiential with different tire configurations to come up with a viable solution to a given condition. It is extremely hot and humid in MDthis week for sure but it has been since I got my Rustler VXL2 weeks ago so not thinking that is the problem. The grass is a little taller around the baseball diamond so that could also be a consideration. But its not a jungle or anything. Ill let you guys know my results later today after work. I am inclined to get another set of wheels and have 4 wheels and tires for on road and 4 wheels and tires for off road setup. But Ill try this first for some all around workability. Running the stock tires with 3s and 19/83 is pretty fast on the road for me.
Old 07-30-2011, 10:53 PM
BigGrump

Your speed controller may not be in thermal cut off. I suspect it is detecting low voltage and going in the protection phase for lipos. Those threnchers make so much traction they can pull enough amps to make smaller batteries go to low voltage on the Traxxas controller.

You may want to look into a 5000 mah 40c battery in three or two cell configuration and I would bet your problem would go away.

Dennis
Old 06-20-2022, 05:29 AM
Kulla75

Default Stock rims?

Originally Posted by Joecool73 View Post
Heres a couple of pics with my new Proline Trencher 2.8 on the stock wheels. They are sweet. Added about an inch to the height to the model. Also added an inch to the width of the tire too. More ground clearance for bashing is always a good thing.
I got myself those Badlands without rims.
Can I remove the worn stock tires from the rims and glue the badlands on or do I need different rims?
Thank you.
Old 06-23-2022, 03:28 PM
RustyUs

Received 35 Likes on 33 Posts

Yes you can. If you're into that sort of thing. Acetone fumes is my favorite method of ungluing tires, but usually will take 48 hours for best results. If in a hurry, I'd just buy a new set of wheels.