Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Heat Issues?

Old 07-26-2011, 12:31 PM
thehuntingterminator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Heat Issues?

Ok. So I got a 2s 5000mah 40c lipo for my Rustler VXL, and its been running amazing. The only problem is that my ESC is getting too hot (gonna pick up a fan), but my motor is barely getting hot at all. Why is it doing this? I know my lipo is providing plenty of amps, and my ESC should be too since I'm geared at 23/86, which is pretty low. Is there anyway to fix this besides gearing and a fan?
Old 07-26-2011, 01:04 PM
sloppyG

Default RE: Heat Issues?

might be geared too low, go up a bit and see if that makes it better
Old 07-26-2011, 01:12 PM
thehuntingterminator

it won't. i was previously at 28/86 which is pretty average and it just got even hotter. i think my only option is to get a fan and pray it doesn't burn up.
ORIGINAL: sloppyG

might be geared too low, go up a bit and see if that makes it better
Old 07-26-2011, 01:13 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The VXL 3S speedo runs hot. Deal with it till it pukes then get something good.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:17 PM
thehuntingterminator

lol, TBJ. yeah, i've heard they run hot. its just i'd rather keep it at least from blowing until i can the Castle SCT system.
Old 07-26-2011, 07:29 PM
Orion1024

The ESC can feel pretty hot and still be well below it's thermal shutdown temp. You should get an IR temp gauge so you know how hot it's getting. My Mamba Max ESC hits about 180F.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:10 PM
xerxes

how hot is 'hot'?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:53 PM
Captain Rusty

The vxl has a thermal shutdown built in does it not?
Old 07-28-2011, 02:54 PM
thehuntingterminator

its suppose to, but i don't really trust this thing...
Old 07-29-2011, 04:08 AM
Joecool73

Im sure you already know this but do you have the car vented? Ive cut several holes in my lid to get more airflow to the motor and esc. Its worked really well for me. My esc and motor do feel hot but without a temp gun its impossible to tell. That 5 second finger rule is worthless. Skin burns at 130 degrees so it really does not tell you much. Im running 2 11.1 2200 25C lipos in parallel. For what its worth I picked up a temp gun at lowes for 10.00 about 3 weeks ago. Its a General IRT207. 10 bucks cant beat it. Ordered it online and picked up in store 20 minutes later. I bash mine hard as well. Tall grass and pavement on the same run. Right now my gearing is set at 19/83 without thermal shut down or any kind of temp problems. For me, if I gear up past 19t for off road I start having heat issues. Im also in MD so the temperature and humidity these last few weeks is insane. Im not sure if your bashing or just street runs but if your going offroad, try just a pinion in the teens 16,19, etc and or a larger spur gear. That is what works for me. Also by having the vents in my body, Im able to monitor the esc light just by looking at it as apposed to having to take off the lid during a run.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Ol31505.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1641483   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ur52088.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	114.7 KB
ID:	1641484   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ig11728.jpg
Views:	9
Size:	63.4 KB
ID:	1641485  
Old 07-29-2011, 07:50 AM
thehuntingterminator

no, i don't have any special holes in the body. but i have tried another body with the windshield cut out and it didn't seem to make much of a difference. i think i'm just gonna get an ESC fan this weekend and then say screw it. run it down to the cutoff. i guess i'll have a blown ESC or 45 minutes of fun!
ORIGINAL: Joecool73

Im sure you already know this but do you have the car vented? Ive cut several holes in my lid to get more airflow to the motor and esc. Its worked really well for me. My esc and motor do feel hot but without a temp gun its impossible to tell. That 5 second finger rule is worthless. Skin burns at 130 degrees so it really does not tell you much. Im running 2 11.1 2200 25C lipos in parallel. For what its worth I picked up a temp gun at lowes for 10.00 about 3 weeks ago. Its a General IRT207. 10 bucks cant beat it. Ordered it online and picked up in store 20 minutes later. I bash mine hard as well. Tall grass and pavement on the same run. Right now my gearing is set at 19/83 without thermal shut down or any kind of temp problems. For me, if I gear up past 19t for off road I start having heat issues. Im also in MD so the temperature and humidity these last few weeks is insane. Im not sure if your bashing or just street runs but if your going offroad, try just a pinion in the teens 16,19, etc and or a larger spur gear. That is what works for me. Also by having the vents in my body, Im able to monitor the esc light just by looking at it as apposed to having to take off the lid during a run.
Old 08-02-2011, 05:43 PM
Captain Rusty

Holes in the body and a fan are a must for the VXL-3s esc.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:24 PM
lithiumx152

well one time and the last time [ now it's in hell burning it's dead soul out  ]  i got my slash 1/10 vxl 4x4 esc temp up to flames and the motor up to  flames when i bought 4 yeah thats right FOUR 3S LIPO GENS ACE 40C 5000MAH BATTERIES with the parallel battery  connectors and i put each and every one of them in my truck and 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0 / 0.0 that thing went FASTER then my 1993 2wd ford ranger  . Well what i did is that i used heave duty thin rope and tied the rope around the 3 extra batteries on the truck  , the batteries where on top of each other [ not to smart huh! ] and told my friend about it and we got into my truck [ he was driving ] on a WIDE OPEN VERY LONG rode so then i turned the truck on once we where out there and as we where driveing the rc truck my friend was driving the 2wd 1993 ford ranger truck , which can only go 80mph . we kept on going faster and faster and faster and faster with the rc truck right beside the truck and my friend was like *** .............. HOLY ................. . then the rc truck started getting faster then us so then i realized that we where going the max speed for the ford ranger but i said .... it , ima go as far as i can see then once it was way out of my site i pulled the throttle forward [ which makes it stop ] and it stopped but once we got to the rc truck , well i dont thing i can call it an rc truck anymore . More like a burnt up piece of junk . THE WHOLE THING WAS IN FLAMES so then i was like 0.0 DANG IT I FORGOT TO VIDEO TAPE THE WHOLE THING . Well i would have been more trouble then what it was worth because i was in the back of the truck controlling the rc truck and my friend was driveing the truck so basicly who would have held the camera. It was a very fun day for me and my friend so then after a few hours later i bought another slash 1/10 4x4 vxl truck , I'm glad i make $20.25 an hour working down by the river in Charleston Missouri .
Old 08-02-2011, 11:00 PM
xerxes

pix plz
Old 08-02-2011, 11:37 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

ORIGINAL: lithiumx152
that thing went FASTER then my 1993 2wd ford ranger