Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New Brushless Set Up Problems - Desperate For Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2011, 04:45 PM
clarros

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Brushless Set Up Problems - Desperate For Help

Hey guys,

I'm relatively new to the RC scene and bought a Duratrax Evader EXT2 not too long ago. After getting bored with the speed, I decided to go brushless.

I bought an Element 3900kv brushless system by Castle. It came with a brushless motor and ESC. For $130, I was expecting some fun. I was really excited to get it running and test out the difference in performance from the original stock set up, however, once I installed it, only the steering worked. The motor works very sporadically for only a few seconds and then I'm unable to get a response when I pull the throttle. 95% of the time, pulling the throttle on the radio does nothing. Just so you know, the radio I have

I took it in to my local hobby store, and the employees said that everything was installed correctly, and the ESC was programmed correctly. The response I got from them was for this new set up to work properly, I need to get a digital radio, rather than an AM. They said that if I get a digital radio everything should be fine.Just so you know, the radio I have is the one that came with the Evader EXT2. It's a Tactic TTX200 AM radio.

As much as I don't want to spend more money on a radio, I don't want this $130 purchase go to waste.

Does anyone think that by simply getting a digital radio, this would make the system work as it should? If so, what radios might you recommend? Preferably on the low-end as far as cost goes, but I'm looking for any solution at this point.

Sorry for the long post. To sum it up, are analog radios not compatible with brushless motors and ESC's? Would getting a digital radio make my new brushless set up function properly?
Old 07-26-2011, 05:05 PM
burnineyes

Default RE: New Brushless Set Up Problems - Desperate For Help

No. Your AM radio will work just fine. Of course an upgraded radio has it's benefits, but your radio should work the same as it always has with any brushless system.
90%+ of the time problems like this can be traced to a mistake in setup or operation, but sometimes bad parts happen. If you are certain everything was set up properly then call Castle, they are usually willing to make you happy. Have as much information about your setup as possible before you call so that they are able to help you best.
Old 07-26-2011, 05:53 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Have you set the endpoints on the throttle and brake on the speed control? Did you reverse your throttle channel (Ch2) on the transmitter?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:16 PM
clarros

Thanks for the suggestions. Thunder, yes, I have taken those steps, but it didn't seem to affect anything.

As far as the possibility of bad parts goes, I am fairly confident that bad parts aren't the problem. When I took it in to get looked at, the employee took opened a new box and tried that ESC and motor as well with the same results. He sat with me for over an hour trying to figure this out. Even though the problem isn't solved, I made sure to thank him for trying. It seems like every time I walk into my local store, I meet some really cool people. From my limited experience, the RC community seems to be filled withgenuinelynice people thatthoroughlyenjoy sharing a hobby. I'm glad I found it!

Old 07-26-2011, 06:32 PM
xerxes

u hav 2 flip da trottle switch frum N 2 R.

i no. i got da xact same transmittr & spent an hour tryn 2 get my sidewinder to work. also b 4 u power esc on, center ur throttl trim .

den holdin full throttl deflection, turn esc on, & continue with calibration
Old 07-26-2011, 06:40 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: xerxes

i no. i got da xact same transmittr & spent an hour tryn 2 get my sidewinder to work. also b 4 u power esc on, center ur throttl trim .

Just curious what a trottle switch is?
Old 07-26-2011, 06:55 PM
Orion1024

Have you tried flashing the firmware with a different version? I've had my share of trouble in the past getting Castle ESC's to calibrate and suspect their firmware was at fault. Also, have you calibrated the ESC?
Old 07-27-2011, 05:40 AM
Eman77

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

ORIGINAL: xerxes

Just curious what a trottle switch is?
ROFL, that's what I was thinking.

I mean, dat's wut i wuz tinkin
Old 07-27-2011, 05:55 AM
Eman77

Regarding the OP:

I also agree with previous suggestions here to check your throttle positions/endpoints/settings on the transmitter, and perhaps flip to "reverse" like others have suggested, and then recalibrate. I assume you can do that with the AM radio you have?

I wouldn't think that the radio frequency type (AM) would cause your problems - if anything, you may get some jittering if there's interference issues of some kind. But you should be able to get Fwd/Reverse to work at least. [&:]
Old 07-27-2011, 09:13 AM
hindupimp2384

go to www.hobbykings.com and go to the USA warehouse and get you a 2.4Ghz Digital Radio they are only $20.00 and get some LiPos too they are dirt cheap and only $6 for US Priority Mail (2-3day delivery).  Hope that helps i think its your radio calibration.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:16 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

The radio isn't the problem, and replacing his current radio that works with some $20 piece of junk that will be WORSE is not going to solve any problems, either.
Old 07-27-2011, 09:33 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Another question... Have you tried calling Castle Creations??????
Old 07-27-2011, 01:34 PM
clarros

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Another question... Have you tried calling Castle Creations??????
I eventually ended up calling them, however, they didn't understand why it wasn't working either.

Old 07-27-2011, 04:27 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've had iffy luck with am RX's and castle ESC's for some reason i've had some just plain not work with the ESC and other RX's with the same TX on the same channel work... idk why but it's happend... i would try the $20 2.4 radio can't hurt and it's only $20...

the lug