Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Does VXL care?

Old 08-11-2011, 08:14 AM
jrowles91

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Does VXL care?

Does the Traxxas VXL esc or any esc for that matter care what it's put in? If the specs are (for the VXL 3s) are 200a continuous and 3s lipo max and your meet or are under those specs when your running your vehicle does it matter the size or weight of given vehicle? If so can you please explain.
Old 08-11-2011, 08:58 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Does VXL care?

The VXL esc is meant to be used in 1/10 size trucks and cars.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:04 AM
Chucksolo69

The only thing I believe is the power specs on the motor you are gonna run off it. Since the VXL 3S ESC is installed on most of their 1/10th brushless equipped cars/trucks, and some of the 4x4 models are pretty heavy, I would say the weight is pretty much irrelevent unless the car weighs 8-10 lbs. The Traxxas Slash Ultimate weighs in at 6.1 lbs without the battery installed and the 3S ESC works just fine in it.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:06 AM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: Chucksolo69

The only thing I believe is the power specs on the motor you are gonna run off it. Since the VXL 3S ESC is installed on most of their 1/10th brushless equipped cars/trucks, and some of the 4x4 models are pretty heavy, I would say the weight is pretty much irrelevent unless the car weighs 8-10 lbs. The Traxxas Slash Ultimate weighs in at 6.1 lbs without the battery installed and the 3S ESC works just fine in it.
This is what I thought too. So as long as the motor can handle it, it should be fine. The motor is only rated for 100amps, which is half of the VXL's continuous limit so it should be a piece of cake for the VXL right?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:36 AM
t9dragon

What vehicle are you putting it in?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 AM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

What vehicle are you putting it in?
It'll be in an Emaxx that weighs 7.8lbs with a big brushed motor in it.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:21 AM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

Bear in mind that the speed control runs hot in all of Traxxas' 2wd cars that are 5 lb.

Since you're going to be running brushed you'll likely have no issues, but keep that in mind.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:24 AM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

Bear in mind that the speed control runs hot in all of Traxxas' 2wd cars that are 5 lb.

Since you're going to be running brushed you'll likely have no issues, but keep that in mind.
It will be brushless. http://www.hobbypartz.com/96m214-3674-2800kv-6t.html. I have a fan already that I would put on the esc too.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:28 AM
jrowles91

My other post. http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10664852/tm.htm
Old 08-11-2011, 10:36 AM
t9dragon

The VXL will end up dying from being overheated. The E-Maxx is a 1/8 vehicle so get a 1/8 brushless setup.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:42 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

wouldn't trust it in an e-maxx personally.

As TBJ said they run hot as is in 2wd RC's. Wouldn't want to see how hot it would get in an e-maxx

IMO you should get an ESC more rated for the application.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:51 AM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: SyCo_VeNoM

As TBJ said they run hot as is in 2wd RC's. Wouldn't want to see how hot it would get in an e-maxx

Normally I would agree, maybe I'm missing something. The VXL esc can handle more amperage than the CC MMM esc. What makes this only good for smaller 10 scale trucks?

Also, the reason for this post in the first place is because I want to run the truck in water like I do brushed. I know I can modify another esc to be waterproof but I didn't want to if I didn't have too.
Old 08-11-2011, 10:57 AM
t9dragon

ORIGINAL: jrowles91

Normally I would agree, maybe I'm missing something. The VXL esc can handle more amperage than the CC MMM esc. What makes this only good for smaller 10 scale trucks?

Also, the reason for this post in the first place is because I want to run the truck in water like I do brushed. I know I can modify another esc to be waterproof but I didn't want to if I didn't have too.
Then go ahead and do it. Why ask our opinion if you don't really want it. If the VXL was made to to be used in the E-Maxx/E-Revo then Traxxas would have used it but obviously it can't handle the weight and power need.... Heck, I have the VXL in both of my 4wd Slashs' and it will end up going into thermal shut down..
Old 08-11-2011, 11:03 AM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

Then go ahead and do it. Why ask our opinion if you don't really want it. If the VXL was made to to be used in the E-Maxx/E-Revo then Traxxas would have used it but obviously it can't handle the weight and power need.... Heck, I have the VXL in both of my 4wd Slashs' and it will end up going into thermal shut down..
I ask your opinion because I do want it. As I said, maybe I'm missing something. I clearly don't understand why it couldn't handle it because based on the specs of the esc vs one like CC MMM, it looks to me like it can handle it. Thus my post here. All I'm asking is for an explanation so I can understand it, not just be told yes or no it will work. I'm trying to learn what makes it not be suitable for this application, THAT'S why I asked. And I always value everyones input, and I'm not being argumentative and apologize if it seemed that way.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:24 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

I'm guessing that is what the FET's Are rated for internally the wires, heatsink, and everything else I doubt can handle it.

Did you get that spec off towers site? I've never honestly seen that on traxxas's site (I've looked a few times)

Also 2S will put more stress on the electronics (requires a higher current) than say getting a 1/8th scale setup that uses 4S.
Old 08-11-2011, 11:26 AM
jrowles91

I'm guessing that is what the FET's Are rated for internally the wires, heatsink, and everything else I doubt can handle it.

Did you get that spec off towers site? I've never honestly seen that on traxxas's site (I've looked a few times)

Also 2S will put more stress on the electronics (requires a higher current) than say getting a 1/8th scale setup that uses 4S.
Yeah I did get those specs from Traxxas http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl3s (down at the bottom) well thanks for the input here. Guess I'll have to do waterproofing of my own. Thanks again!
Old 08-11-2011, 12:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Yeah I did get those specs from Traxxas http://traxxas.com/products/parts/escs/vxl3s (down at the bottom) well thanks for the input here. Guess I'll have to do waterproofing of my own. Thanks again!
ahh been a long time since I looked

but still the 12 gauge wire I think would melt if it got anywhere near 200 amps
Old 08-11-2011, 01:22 PM
robwiljas

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My brother-in-law put a VXL ESC with cheap HK 6XL motor in a 3905 E-Maxx and ran it on 3S. It worked for about three weeks but eventually the ESC gave out. That was the original non waterproof VXL. He was geared really high though, the thing was as fast as mine with MMM on 4s.

I don't see why it wouldn't work if you geared it low enough.
Old 08-11-2011, 01:28 PM
Eman77

Does the fact that the VXL3s have a resistance of .00075 Ohms compared to .0003 of the MMM (over twice the resistance of the MMM) play a role?
Old 08-11-2011, 02:06 PM
jrowles91

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Does the fact that the VXL3s have a resistance of .00075 Ohms compared to .0003 of the MMM (over twice the resistance of the MMM) play a role?
i wouldn't know about the resistance. That doesn't look like a whole lot though from either esc
Old 08-11-2011, 07:04 PM
ThunderbirdJunkie
My Feedback: (3)

If that were the case, everybody would be running VXL 3S ESCs in their 1/8 scales and monster trucks rather than MMMs, RX8s, and HW 150a XEruns. Considering how long all of those options have been on the market, somebody would have figured it out by now.

If you want to run that ESC in your E Maxx, go right ahead. It's not waterproof, either. Wait, yes it is, Traxxas says so[&:]
Old 08-11-2011, 07:09 PM
rclugnut10
My Feedback: (1)

i've heard the vxl is good to about 60 amps and i'd believe that... and castle doesn't really list exact specs... so it's hard to say there... tower isn't the best source either... however, i would bet a significant amount of $ that no matter motor gearing or voltage 2s+ a MMM will outlast a VXL, i would make that bet with an SW1 for that matter...

the lug
Old 08-11-2011, 07:14 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: ThunderbirdJunkie

If that were the case, everybody would be running VXL 3S ESCs in their 1/8 scales and monster trucks rather than MMMs, RX8s, and HW 150a XEruns. Considering how long all of those options have been on the market, somebody would have figured it out by now.

If you want to run that ESC in your E Maxx, go right ahead. It's not waterproof, either. Wait, yes it is, Traxxas says so[&:]
Except the VXL is only good for half the voltage, so no they wouldn't.

And while the VXL may not be completely waterproof, as in able to be submerged in very deep water, it's definitely "waterproof" enough to be run in rain, snow and even submerged in shallow water. I know, I do it all the time.
Old 08-11-2011, 07:19 PM
robwiljas

ORIGINAL: rclugnut10

i've heard the vxl is good to about 60 amps and i'd believe that... and castle doesn't really list exact specs... so it's hard to say there... tower isn't the best source either... however, i would bet a significant amount of $ that no matter motor gearing or voltage 2s+ a MMM will outlast a VXL, i would make that bet with an SW1 for that matter...

the lug
The MMM is rated at 120A. Also most people don't realize all Castle surface ESC's are also water resistant, Castle just doesn't market it like Traxxas does.

http://www.castlespecialprojects.com...ntrollers.html

Edit: Dangit RCU keeps breaking the link, and I have no idea why. Here's the address between the quotes just remove the spaces "http://www.castlespecialprojects.com/c s p_reversing_controllers.html"

Edit 2: Here's a screencap of the chart from castles site I'm trying to link to.

Old 08-11-2011, 07:39 PM
BigTb17

ORIGINAL: Eman77

i wouldn't know about the resistance. That doesn't look like a whole lot though from either esc
Resistance makes a difference and is a helpful rating. Resistance basically creates heat when you pass current through it. The difference may be small when you look at it as only a .00045 Ohm difference. But if you consider that the MMM has less than half the resistance of the Traxxas ESC the difference becomes much more interesting. With equal current flowing through each ESC, the VXL3S would create over twice the heat of the MMM from internal resistance. There are more factors at play and it's not quite that cut and dry simple, but that's the basic principle.

Resistance isn't the only thing to consider. Heat dissipation ability is important. There are other components that create heat as well, primarily the BEC. In many ESCs the BEC is just a linear regulator which is inefficient and creates a lot of heat, particularly at higher voltages. Some ESCs (the MMM is one of them) have a switching BEC, which is more efficient, particularly at higher voltages, and they create less heat. There are many factors.

Ratings also vary by manufacturer and application. In many cases "continuous" simply means an amount of time greater than a split second burst. 200 amps is a seriously huge amount of current and is very likely not a "true" rating. Meaning, I would put money on the table that the VXL3S would melt in a relatively short time if it had a full 200 amps flowing through it "continuously".

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.