Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Life of a VXL-3s esc

Old 08-23-2011, 08:58 AM
hpiracr28

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Life of a VXL-3s esc

So i have had my bandit since September and have been running 9.6v through it since. How long do the speed controls usually last? Does it depend on how much they are abused?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:24 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Default RE: Life of a VXL-3s esc

There alot of variables as to how long an ESC will last... I have had some last years and others go out in only a few months..
Old 08-23-2011, 09:32 AM
Nitroaddicted

ORIGINAL: hpiracr28

So i have had my bandit since September and have been running 9.6v through it since. How long do the speed controls usually last? Does it depend on how much they are abused?
Dude, you need to get Lipos.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:09 AM
hpiracr28

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddicted

Lol yea i know i need lipos. Financially now is not the time with getting an apartment in two weeks and having to buy furniture and pay bills and babysitters. as much as i run my car now (its been about 3 weeks since i last ran it) lipos just arent coming to my place anytime soon. although i would love them.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:10 AM
hpiracr28

ORIGINAL: t9dragon

There alot of variables as to how long an ESC will last... I have had some last years and others go out in only a few months..
It's wierd because sometimes my esc wont turn on till i hit the power buttom a few times. and sometimes if the car flips, the esc will shut off. i figured it was about to crap out on me.
Old 08-23-2011, 11:38 AM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

It's wierd because sometimes my esc wont turn on till i hit the power buttom a few times. and sometimes if the car flips, the esc will shut off. i figured it was about to crap out on me.
I have had the same issues with the VXL's.. I have 2 VXL setups one the ESC quit and the other one the motor quit, so about a week later i decided to try the dead esc and motor together and what do you know they both worked just fine. So I think Traxxas has some qualitity control issues with their ESC's and motors..
Old 08-23-2011, 03:39 PM
Nitroaddicted

ORIGINAL: Nitroaddicted

Lol yea i know i need lipos. Financially now is not the time with getting an apartment in two weeks and having to buy furniture and pay bills and babysitters. as much as i run my car now (its been about 3 weeks since i last ran it) lipos just arent coming to my place anytime soon. although i would love them.
Hobbyking lipos? They would be like $20 each. Its an option, maybe.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:34 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hobbypartz.com has 2s 5000mah lipos for $25 and a lipo charger for $50. 2 lipos and a charger for $100. not a bad price. just need to save alittle.
Old 08-24-2011, 03:03 AM
hpiracr28

Those are decent priced lipos. Eventually i'll get some. Just as of right now with being so busy with packing and moving, i've sort of distanced myself from my bandit till i have more time. but dont worry, i havent let go completely!
Old 08-24-2011, 03:05 AM
hpiracr28

I have had the same issues with the VXL's.. I have 2 VXL setups one the ESC quit and the other one the motor quit, so about a week later i decided to try the dead esc and motor together and what do you know they both worked just fine. So I think Traxxas has some qualitity control issues with their ESC's and motors..
Yea. to be honest i havent had any issues until now but i dont think its goign to be anything that will cause a major replacement of parts. before it started doing this i was running it pretty hard. i smoked up a nimh pack from doing reverse backflips lol
Old 08-26-2011, 04:41 PM
guys2nv

The vxl in my slash 4x4 has been solid after 2 years although it doesn't get run much now. Survived the whole winter 09/10 when it was driven the most. Had another vxl system in my pede 4x4 that was trouble free but traded that off recently. But I've also read users who fried them in a week and what not after normal use so to me it's a hit or miss thing with the vxl.