Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

HSP XSTR RC buggy

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-2011, 02:22 PM
johnonetrillion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HSP XSTR RC buggy

Hello!

First post here.

Bought a new HSP RC buggy for my son – an entry level unit.

Second timne out the motor seems to have frozen. It was brought to a halt after a bout 5 mins use, but from there would not take off again ... not even a hum in the motor. There was plenty of power up to that point ... and the steering was operating afterwards.

Any thoughts?

We were running it at a local playing field – grass with a dirt patch in the middle. maybe some grit got in the gearing?

Also, any other tips for enjoying this rig would be appreciated. Like a second battery?!

This is the item:

http://www.rchobbyestore.com.au/Item...R%20RC%20BUGGY

Cheers
Old 10-27-2011, 02:59 PM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Default RE: HSP XSTR RC buggy

http://www.google.com/products/catal...d=0CKUBEPMCMAg this motor should work, and if you are price concerned- http://www.google.com/products/catal...ed=0CH0Q8wIwAA
Old 10-27-2011, 03:11 PM
johnonetrillion

Thanks!

I reckon the Tamika unit looks the goods – and still a decent price.

Could it be the transmitter binding? I got the following reply (very quickly) from the vendor helpdesk:

Thank you for your email. 2.4 GHz Receiver Transmitter binding instructions. 1. Ensure receiver AND transmitter are both OFF. 2. Orientate receiver so that the aerial is pointing to the LEFT. 3. Remove all servo leads from the receiver. Leave the battery lead (Uppermost connector) in place. 4. Place the shorting lead (black servo connector with wire loop stylus attached), into position 3 of the receiver(Directly under the power lead. Orientation not important). 5. Place the stylus in the SMALL hole of the receiver and apply GENTLE pressure. Turn the receiver ON. Hold the stylus in place for 5 seconds. The red LED should by this time,flash. 6. After removing stylus from receiver, apply pressure to the recessed button on the transmitter and at the same time switch the transmitter ON. Hold the button down for 5 seconds. The LED on the receiver should in this time stop flashing. 7. Turn off RECEIVER and transmitter in that order. 8. Remove shorting lead from position 3 of receiver. 9. Connect steering servo to position 1 (Lowest receptacle) of receiver throttle to position 2 (next receptacle up). 10. Turn on Transmitter then receiver. 11. Test steering and throttle functions. If no steering: check the throttle end-point adjustment (right-most adjustment post is fully counter-clockwise). Unit is ready to run. If you have other questions, please feel free to ask. Thank you, Melveth RC Hobby eStore Support http://www.rchobbyestore.com

Does that sound possible? Is there anything else I should be testing before I take it all apart?

I guess taking these things apart is all part of the deal, hey?
Old 10-27-2011, 03:22 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

those radios can have that problem, where the suddenly stop sending info to the speed control, but its rare.

with everything powered on, when you give it throttle does the LED light on the speed control change, or do anything.(im making an assumption that the speed control has a light on it)

if it does, then chances are either the motor or speed control has gone bad.

if the light does nothing, then its not getting a signal from the radio and re-binding May fix that issue.

the chassis is like the redcat tornado exp(which i have had) and its not bad. I had one with a brushless motor and speed control. the brushed motor and speed control in yours is very low-end....fine for a beginner, but low-end can also mean higher chance of them failing.

just about any 27turn 540 sized brushed motor can take the place of the stock one.

as for a battery, some radio shacks have a decent 3300mah 6cell pack. it should be red. my RS had them for $25 and they work pretty well.

to answer the last Q, yes. tho, its not good to have to work on a model after only 5 minutes of runtime. but it is common to work on them. either repairing damage, doing upkeep(check screws, clean it ect) or installing upgrade parts.
Old 11-21-2013, 01:13 AM
hugemika79

did you get your sons hsp xstr fixed yet john? I got one of these about September last year. It was my first brushless rc. came with a 3s lipo and all. I bashed the hell out of that thing. just seemed to keep on going. some times the dogbones would bend.. but on 3s what can you expect. after extensive abuse ( I mean pack after pack each weekend on a bmx track / park ) it started to give up the ghost. I hope your experience with your sons xstr gets better. I loved mine. still do. I may even fix her one day.