Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

The Evader Coalition ~ T.E.C. Part 2.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2019, 05:10 AM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Repaired Lower Servo Saver Arm

Eventually I will put another layer on the top and sides of the arm. Stuff is rock hard. I can't remember ever using CA/baking soda filler on a longer piece, like the arm shown above, that needs to put leverage on something else.
Old 03-31-2019, 12:46 PM
RustyUs

I like to give some lovin, at least every once in a while, to my faithful partner in dirt. She deserves it. Well, the "official picture threads" have been long forgotten @ RCU. So, I'll just post a picture(s) here of some proper old school rubber, and wheels to go along with the old school Evader.

I am a huge lover of any non dish wheels. I was saving the JConcepts wheels for my one RC10T4, but the timing isn't just right yet. Man, I wish JConcepts would continue on with Rulux ST wheels, but produce them with 12mm hexes. Step Pins, courtesy of Panther Tires, glued up on the rear, and Pro-Line/Team Associated "The Edge" tires made it onto the front wheels.

Having a box load of wings left over from my RC10B4 being sold...I put the wings to use as a spoiler for the Evader ST Pro. A little bit of trimming and... voilà.
Old 05-18-2019, 03:01 AM
RustyUs

After about 17 runs, the CV joint's pin decided it had enough. I would have, more than likely, lost the bone if it were not for the chrome reflecting the sun into my eyes as it went flying.

Old 05-18-2019, 03:13 AM
RustyUs

Default CV Joint Pin

I now know why I have two tubes of 1.59mm tungsten carbide rod in my pit/parts box. I just couldn't remember what pin I was going to make out of the rod. Hopefully the stuff will last longer than what was used for the stock pin.

Old 06-02-2019, 04:42 AM
RustyUs

Default Shock Pistons

I just received a set of Evader shock pistons to mess with. It took a bit of searching to track down a set, because they were not listed with a part number in the title. I was this [ ] close to ordering some Losi pistons. I tried Team Associated pistons once before, but I felt they were a hair too small as I had to use something like 45w shock oil to get the right feel...went back to stock pistons.

Well, I'm assuming the stock 1.2 pistons, that I'm using at the moment, are the original pistons from 2003-ish, and I feel they are wearing down ever so slightly (Is that even possible?) as I keep increasing the weight of shock oil to smooth the damping on the rough track. Maybe it's a combination of piston and the shock walls wearing down. Anyways, I will be using the next smaller piston hole and go back to a lighter oil.

My ultimate goal is to prevent any massive chassis slappin' that is going on in the rear.
Old 06-02-2019, 10:32 AM
RustyUs

One of the things I don't like about the Evader line of RCs is the fact that you can't adjust the battery pack fore and aft for balance. No room for adjustment whatsoever. At least not with a regular "stick" pack LiPo that I use. The dated design was meant for NiMh, or even NiCd packs I suppose. I acquired the ST Pro back in 2009 for my daughter, and never had it jumping on a track before. I never really knew the flight characteristics of it until we moved to another place, and had room for backyard track. By that time, I switched to LiPo batteries.

I shouldn't really care about how the Evader ST handles, as I'm just a track basher, but I would like to get it close as possible to feeling like one of my T4 stadium trucks. With the same tires on both my Evader ST and T4, the Evader ST is a lot more rear biased with weight. I never really took notice to it before, because I never had the same tires on both platforms before.

Will a shorty pack work with a Duratrax EXT battery strap? Hmmm.
Old 11-11-2019, 06:07 AM
RustyUs

I honestly don't remember what the handling was like with a NiMh pack being used. Not to mention, when I/we first got the ST, it was used primarily in a cul de sac, and on baseball fields.

I moved the rear hubs to the rear position/longest wheelbase, then I got some foam to keep a shorty pack from moving backwards in the truck's chassis. It was an improvement, but not enough for me to go out and buy another shorty pack.

Last edited by RustyUs; 11-11-2019 at 06:15 AM.
Old 04-17-2020, 11:08 AM
Tiat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Transmission casing

Hiya. First post. I’ve just found my evader st and the gearbox is cracked - can’t find a new one. Anyone know of any substitutes I could use? Prefer to use the existing gears if I can.

thanks all
Old 04-17-2020, 01:23 PM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you want an original equipment replacement, good luck. The car has been out of production for quite some time now. RUSTYUS might have a better suggestion, but at this point, Evader Faithful are scouring the interwebs for old Evaders as parts cars.

My old Evader is wall art now. Fully functional, but I don't drive it hard anymore, if at all

Last edited by EXT2Rob; 04-17-2020 at 01:25 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Tiat (04-20-2020)
Old 04-17-2020, 04:46 PM
RustyUs

Tiat, I think your best bet is to buy a donor parts truck. The whole relentlessly searching the interwebs gets old, but that's what you gotta do with an RC that is beyond old . Sometimes you might get lucky and find parts up for sale when someone is moving on...parting with their Evader(s).

EXT2Rob, I got up enough courage last year to finally sell my truck. It was time. I had one thing on my mind, and that was getting another 1/8 scale buggy. After making out pretty good with the sale of my RC8.2e, I was on a roll, and POOF...I threw the ST Pro on eBay. My spare ST Pro roller, and boxes of parts is no more*. I vowed to never hoard parts like that again.

*I'm down to a handful of Evader parts, and lovin' it.
The following users liked this post:
Tiat (04-20-2020)
Old 04-18-2020, 07:42 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

👋 Hey Rusty! I gotta hand it to ya (yuk yuk), for being the longest Evader hold out. Bravo! 👏 The ol' Evader must've been the longest production run RC car in history.

I'm still running my HoBao Hyper TT and SCT. I got scared when the OFNA brand disintegrated (the Hypers were Ofna branded) and ordered a bunch of spares, but then realized HoBao was continuing production and everything was still available. The cool thing about these two vehicles is that they both use the exact same parts. The SCT just has a longer chassis and different drive shafts, oh and different shock towers. But everything else is identical! Keeps the spares stock to a minimum. Two completely different vehicles, same parts! Aftermarket support too.

Hope you and your family are staying healthy, and staying in, during this Covid19 thing. Be well.
Rob
Old 04-20-2020, 07:49 AM
Tiat

Thanks so much. I remember reading that an associated stealth transmission casing is the same. I guess not given then responses

thanks all.
Old 04-20-2020, 08:55 AM
RustyUs

I never heard of using an Assciated case as a direct replacement . I know I've used an Associated diff gear. rclugnut did a hack job with a tranny but not a simple "drop in" and go type of deal.

There has been an ECX, and Losi trannies bolted onto Evader chassis recently on FB Duratrax groups.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:45 AM
Tiat

Thanks Rusty

just thinking of anyone might be interested to buy it? It’s all good apart from the cracked transmission housing. I have been running it, just wanted the additional parts to make it all completely perfect.

I have two body shells, various arms (front and back brand new in packets) two chassis etc.

let me know if anyone wants some pics.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:06 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by EXT2Rob
👋 Hey Rusty! I gotta hand it to ya (yuk yuk), for being the longest Evader hold out. Bravo! 👏 The ol' Evader must've been the longest production run RC car in history.

I'm still running my HoBao Hyper TT and SCT. I got scared when the OFNA brand disintegrated (the Hypers were Ofna branded) and ordered a bunch of spares, but then realized HoBao was continuing production and everything was still available. The cool thing about these two vehicles is that they both use the exact same parts. The SCT just has a longer chassis and different drive shafts, oh and different shock towers. But everything else is identical! Keeps the spares stock to a minimum. Two completely different vehicles, same parts! Aftermarket support too.

Hope you and your family are staying healthy, and staying in, during this Covid19 thing. Be well.
Rob
You do the same. Stayin' away, stayin' in, and stayin' healthy.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:23 PM
RustyUs

Originally Posted by Tiat
Thanks Rusty

just thinking of anyone might be interested to buy it? It’s all good apart from the cracked transmission housing. I have been running it, just wanted the additional parts to make it all completely perfect.

I have two body shells, various arms (front and back brand new in packets) two chassis etc.

let me know if anyone wants some pics.
I can't stand Faceb**k to be honest. I only joined to keep up with people's doings with the hobby, 'cause the forums, especially this one, are not high traffic areas. I know there are guys that have multiples of the Evader ST. They're on FB of course. The Evaders are still being bought up. They're not getting much for them, but enough to pocket ya some cash. Just do a history search on eBay on you'll get an idea.
Old 04-20-2020, 12:49 PM
Tiat

Thanks. Hate FB too!
Old 04-26-2020, 06:09 AM
0RESET0

Default Here I go again

So, a few years ago I got back into RC. I dusted off my EXT and put it thru some paces. I decided I wanted to upgrade and looked into turning it into an EXT2. For the cost of the parts, if I could find them, I found a used Rustler and mothballed the EXT again. Several cars and races later, I now have an Associated T4.2 Factory team kit that I plan to race this season, if we have one. I did give the EXT some love last year and swapped out the ESC/motor for some Traxxas brushed stuff. Of course, first time out, it spot out a drive axel and I lost the springs.

Now for the question. Since it is no longer pure Duratrax, what other parts can I use on my EXT? I'm sure the trans isn't going to hold up to 12T power for long, especially if I throw my LiPo in there. I'd also be interested in going to bearings instead of bushings as well as hex at all four corners. Maybe even change the axels out for something similar to the T4.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:11 AM
RustyUs

Where does a person begin? If you don't have any EXT spare tranny parts, and don't want the frustration...it's time to sell. The Evader, and all its reiterations, is a tinkerer's platform now. Taking parts from other platforms; that almost fit , and making them somehow work is going to be the challenge. Like David did with an ECX tranny, and Traxxas slider shafts....

Old 04-26-2020, 10:18 AM
RustyUs

Maybe even transplanting a Losi tranny?....

Last edited by RustyUs; 04-26-2020 at 01:04 PM.
Old 04-26-2020, 10:40 AM
RustyUs

The above posts will be me in about 10~20 years with my Associated SC10s and T4s. And by that time, the trannys that I thought about using (the ProSC10/Trophy Rat) will be discontinued and can't be found as well. That 10~20 years was about the same life expectancy I had planned for my Evader ST Pro. The urge to get a new RC was great, and one thing lead to another. Now, I'm without the Duratrax truck.

Old 05-29-2020, 11:05 AM
Tiat

Default So I have some bits left over

I used to have an evader and wish I still did. It really was a fantastic car.

anyhow - I don’t anymore but I did just find some parts in the shed - front and rear brand new in packets A-arms. If anyone is interested hit me up.

im based in the U.K.
Old 06-07-2020, 02:02 PM
Truckdriver198831

I was apart of the first thread! The original TEC back in like 06-07 , its crazy to see how far it has come , they haven't made the evader for a coons age, i remember when it was all the rage in the entry level stadium truck market lol from what i remember duratrax had something to do with buying the older xxt design off losi , i was like 15 at the time im 32 now , how time flies

Last edited by Truckdriver198831; 06-07-2020 at 02:05 PM.