Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Help Needed - TEN-SCTE RTR

Search this Thread

Old 03-19-2012, 06:04 AM
dagberry

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Needed - TEN-SCTE RTR

I'm having some issues with my new SCTE that I just bought on Saturday and I'd like to get everyone's opinion. I bought the RTR package that came with everything except the charger and battery. I bought a LiPO 2s 5000mah 50c ROAR approved battery and a Traxxas EZ-Peak Plus charger.

Here are the issues I'm having:
- Radio Range: I can only drive about 50-100 ft before the truck just stops and I have to get closer before I can drive again. When I was running on an RC track I would lose signal when there was a ramp between me and the truck.
- ESC flashing red - At first I could not get the truck to go in forward or reverse and I noticed the ESC was flashing red. I adjusted the throttle trim and it finally started flashing yellow, and I was able to drive.
- Throttle cutting out - When running on a straight away, it is frequently cutting out/losing power. One issue I may have been having with this was the on/off switch on the ESC was loose and I think it had a loose connection. One of the Losi racers told me to cut off the switch and wire it together to where the ESC is on when the battery is connected. This is what I'm doing now.
- Motor and battery hot - This is the last thing that happened on Sunday and once I noticed this I have not ran it since. I had not been running it very long on the third battery through and it just stopped in the middle of the track. When I pulled the body off the green and yellow lights were flashing on the ESC. I felt the motor and it was hot, so I'm assuming it reached the thermal cut off. Also, the battery was very warm, which I don't believe should be the case with a 2s lipo, right? (I'm new to LiPO's)

Any help with this would be much appreciated. I'm planning on taking it in to the hobby shop where I bought it from this afternoon to see if they can help me out.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:26 AM
acexxxoasis
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Help Needed - TEN-SCTE RTR

as a fellow scte user I feel your pain. Its a great truck with some issues.

first radio range mine does the same thing (futaba radio)

is this the losi system? have you tried setting it to your radio? Turn on radio and old full throttle turn on the esc hold till it rings 4 times full brake hold until rings again neutral till it rungs again.
http://www.losi.com/ProdInfo/Files/LOSB9504-Manual.pdf

you could try bringing some timing out of the motor to bring temps down however you could also drop a tooth on the pinion and you will lose some temp too. but a brushless motor does get warmer then a brushed motor.

set your auto lipo voltage to 3.0 Volts per cell for one run and see if it clears up the shutdown if it does your lipo cut off is probably too high but be careful to not over draw the battery. also do not mess with your throttle trim set it to 0 re-calibrate the esc.

also as a heads up keep your eye on the diffs they are a known weak point. feel free to ask more ? if you have them enjoy the truck!