Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Axial EXO project

Old 03-22-2012, 04:11 PM
Dale Gribble
My Feedback: (4)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Axial EXO project

I picked one of these up as a cool alternative to the SC10 4x4 and TEN SCTE that we run at our local track. This is the same size as 1/10 4x4 SCs and most tracks will allow them to run in the 4x4 sc class. I heard that some tracks have enough of these already for their own class. I kind of had mixed feelings about this kit as I built it. I won't go into boring details, but here are some challenges with the kit:

1) It isn't the best value in its class. For its price tag, the SC10 4x4 Factory Team and TEN SCTE are better appointed with better shocks and beefier parts. The SCs may not be as cool looking but they are a better value.

2) The stock shocks just aren't good. They aren't. At a minimum, these should have come with aluminum caps. Best case, this kit should have had some nice aluminum shocks.

3) Kit access for diff, radio or other maintenance is not trivial. The cage secures to the chassis with no less then 15 screws. It isn't intended to be a rapid removal cage. Getting to a diff or reprogramming your ESC is going to be a challenge.

4) Battery access is TOUGH. It just is. There is very, very little space for a 2-cell lipo and the access is tight through the side of the chassis. I can get it in and out but not without cursing a bit.

5) These are known to run hot with the decorative interior and motor covers in place.

What I do like:

1) It is so cool looking

2) It is so cool looking

3) It runs any other 1/10 SC 4x4 wheel/tire setups

4) It is so cool looking

Here is my kit

Does anyone else have one?
Old 03-22-2012, 04:20 PM
guys2nv

Default RE: Axial EXO project

Looks great Dale. I have one, haven't gotten to really run it yet though as I'm fiddling with putting on some losi 22/22T shocks on it, My build is also on RCSC which is where I've seen yours to. I agree with how it looks, Axial got me to dive in and I had no real interest when it was announced months ago but after staring at it endlessly I had to have one.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:24 PM
Dale Gribble

Mine's on RCSC? I am not even a member there.

The cool factor is through the roof on these.
Old 03-22-2012, 04:52 PM
dragnse7en
Banned

The seats look cool. Is it as fast as a Losi or AE sc truck on the track?

It reminds me of the H1 hummer buggy conversion a little bit. It does look pretty cool though!!!
Old 03-22-2012, 04:58 PM
guys2nv

Haha, I swear I just looked at a pic yesterday or the day before on there with a shot right through the hole on the side of the body to get temp readings (castle 3800kv motor right?) plus the vent holes added right behind the front wheels. You also zip tied the ESC battery lead to the rear roll cage and cut out the fuel tank part along with mounting the on off switch on the left side of the cage.

I hope I'm not going crazy here [&:].

EDIT: Turns out I'm not going crazy-it's RCTech where I've seen your EXO LOL. Both sites use a familiar layout so....My bad
Old 03-22-2012, 05:12 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

Hey Dale, why start another thread about the EXO buggy? Why not put your information into the thread that is already here.
Old 03-22-2012, 07:48 PM
Dale Gribble

Didn't even know there was one already... It is pretty hard to navigate and search this site anymore.
Old 03-22-2012, 08:13 PM
t9dragon
My Feedback: (11)

ORIGINAL: Dale Gribble

Didn't even know there was one already... It is pretty hard to navigate and search this site anymore.

lol.... i totally agree...........
Old 03-31-2012, 06:33 PM
CarGuy7a

I just finished my Exo build. The only dislike I have about it is there is no slipper clutch. I'm sure someone will come out with one sooner or later. But of course like you said, with the cage on, that wouldn't be an easy adjustment either. I finished throwing the stickers on today I'll throw my build pics up in the Exo thread tomorrow after my test drive.
Old 03-31-2012, 07:52 PM
kopperlis123
Banned

a great site,many useful information!