Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

First truck for Son

Old 04-21-2012, 04:30 PM
SmOkEeJay

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: First truck for Son

Nice looking yard. Once you get a RC you will have a track worn in that pretty grass in no time.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:09 PM
RockstarCK

Here are some reviews for the Ruckus. If you're worried about your son waiting around while you fix his truck, that won't be an issue with the Ruckus - they are built to take a massive beating.

http://www.ultimaterc.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=119714

http://www.bigsquidrc.com/electrix-r...-truck-review/

http://www.proboatmodels.com/Article...ArticleID=2268
Old 04-24-2012, 06:00 AM
jkinosh

Might also be considering an ECX Torment, Son got to see one and pick it up over the weekend, and really liked it.
Advantage I see is it already has a Spektrum radio in it.

but one more question about batteries.

So if I pickup, let say 3 DuraTrax Onyx NiMH 7C 8.4V 3000mAh Stick Standard Plug, he should be good for at least running an hour?

would it be better to use the flat packs of the Hump packs?

Was contemplating one of these

Option One: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXUP1&P=0]DuraTrax Onyx NiMH 7C 8.4V 3000mAh Stick Standard Plug[/link]

Option Two: [link=http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXXUP2&P=0]DuraTrax Onyx NiMH 7C 8.4V 3000mAh Hump Standard Plug [/link]

I see ECX sells a velcro hold down strap, but I believe I have enough velcro wire ties to just use those instead.

Jacob
Old 04-24-2012, 06:56 AM
RockstarCK

I doubt a hump pack would work with an ECX model. They have a battery pack tie down system that is pretty nice for beginners, but it really limits the types of batteries you can use. I suppose you could toss it out and use your velcro strap though, now that I think about it...
Old 04-24-2012, 07:25 AM
highrack

I have two Evader EXT2's the red for my son and yellow for me.  Both have the T-Bone racing front and rear bumpers.  Saved both trucks many times.  Love both.  I run the 7 cell, my son the 6 cell.  Can't let  him beat me!...lol

Old 04-24-2012, 07:51 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

I have an issue saying that it's ok to run NiMh batts in a brushless system.  I did it, and I would NOT recommend it. NiMhs are fine for stock brushed, but when I went brushless, the NiMh batts got VERY hot trying to supply the current brushless systems demand, and I eventually KILLED ALL of my NiMh batts.  The little guy is only 6. Stick with stock for now (but get a LiPo-capable charger), and 6-cell NiMhs. Then, when he starts wanting more speed, get a couple 7-cell NiMhs.  That should keep him happy for a good while.  THEN, if he still digs the hobby, you can consider going brushless/LiPo.
Old 04-24-2012, 07:58 AM
jkinosh

Planning on staying stock for the time being, just want him to be able to get some enjoyable runtime out of the batteries.

I can get the 6 or 7 cell 3000Mah Duratrax batteries for the same price, thats why I was thinking the 7 cell.

I'm thinking from others post that he should get around a hour of runtime with 3 of the 3000mah 7 cell packs.
Is this right?

Old 04-24-2012, 01:19 PM
SmOkEeJay

We get about 45 minutes or more out of 1 SPC 2s 5000mah lipo. The speed is about the same as a nimh stick pack, but the battery is lighter and has about the same power until it hits low voltage detection. The SPC lipo was only $30, which is probably cheaper than buying 3 3000mah nimhs. I charge my lipo's with a Thunder AC680 which was around $60.
Old 04-24-2012, 02:17 PM
jkinosh

Was thinking I'd like to stay away from lipo for now, don't want him burning out the motor to fast. Figured it would be able to cool off a little between batteries. The nimh's are 20 each and I have a 20 off 50 coupon for tower hobbies.
Old 04-25-2012, 06:26 AM
SmOkEeJay

Lipo will not cause the motor to burn out any quicker than Nimh. Nimh will be hot after you run it, Lipo will not. Nimh is a dying technology in RC for a reason.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:59 AM
highrack

Here is a video I shot last year of my sons Evader EXT2 red body.  Great durable RC.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:01 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: SmOkEeJay

Lipo will not cause the motor to burn out any quicker than Nimh. Nimh will be hot after you run it, Lipo will not. Nimh is a dying technology in RC for a reason.
if the RC is poorly geared yes it could actually. There was one RC (I forgot which) that if you used anything over the 1800mah nicd the motor, and ESC would fry. The company used the 1800 to limit the RC's up time so it had time to cool off. Yes crappy but some of the 3rd rate no-name companies pull that.

I never heard of the ECX's(or any big brand for that matter) suffering from that issue though
Old 04-25-2012, 10:05 AM
highrack

http://youtu.be/uIAdWwcOHTA

Above is the link to the video I shot last year of my sons Evader EXT2.  Very Durable RC.  Sorry for the duplicate post, the insert link option didn't seem to work for me.
Old 05-03-2012, 06:35 AM
jkinosh

Finally Pulled the trigger. Just ordered him the Black and orange Torment. Should be here next week sometime.

Now I just need to get some better Batteries and a charger ordered.

Jacob
Old 05-03-2012, 11:50 AM
jkinosh

Would these give me a decent runtime? or do I need something higher than 20C for this.

http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4400-2s1p-20c-2222.html
Old 05-03-2012, 01:09 PM
SmOkEeJay

We run a SPC 2s 5000mah 25c Lipo in my son's ECX Boost. It works great and the run time is incredible. I believe the battery was about $29.
Old 05-03-2012, 03:22 PM
jkinosh

where did you get the SPC batteries?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:24 AM
SmOkEeJay

[link=http://www.spcracing.com/]SpecPointConcepts[/link]
Old 05-07-2012, 08:29 AM
trsills

I just went to all LiPo for our Torment and Slash. Keep in mind (AFAIK), the Torment doesn't have a low voltage cutoff feature in the ESC like the Slash, so you'll either need to pickup one (few bucks on ebay) or monitor the drive time. So far things seem to run well, but I've also changed to a Slash motor since stock one died after 3 weeks of use, which was clean and didn't have any dirt/grit inside.
Old 05-09-2012, 05:03 AM
jkinosh

It came on monday, and after a very impatient wait by a 6 year old, he was finally able to run his new truck last night. Just did the slow speed break in on the driveway for about half a pack, maybe 8 minutes.
Then onto some runs that were a little faster, he couldn't get over how fast it is.

Anyone have an idea when the voltage of the LVC is on this ? I know when we were about done running it, it stopped a couple of time, and you could wait the 10 seconds then drive again. I did not notice the ESC making the beeping sound that is mentioned in the manual, but we were also 20 feet away at the time.

When i checked the voltage of the Battery with a multimeter, it was still reading 7.4 volts. Right now we are just using the included batter and charger for it.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Pn36551.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	78.8 KB
ID:	1760737  
Old 05-09-2012, 06:23 AM
RockstarCK

I couldn't tell you what the LVC is, but it seems to cut off while the battery still has plenty of life left, IMO...that's probably my biggest complaint with my wife's Ruckus so far. It makes draining a battery a pain in the butt. I've even resorted to taking the packs out of her truck, plugging them into my 'Pede and discharging them from there. The beeping from the ESC isn't very loud, so if you're 20 feet away it's very likely that you wouldn't be able to hear it. The truck should hold up quite well for your son though, and I hope he has a blast with it.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:38 AM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tip for ya...

When ever u use a voltage meter to test the batterys voltage it needs to be under load....... otherwise u are checking the surface level

Test for ya, plug in the battery and see is u can connect the multimeter. then hold the car still on the ground and do a burnout in some loose dirt & watch the volts drop...

Its normal for it to cut out for 10sec, thats a convenince feature so u can drive the truck back rather than walking to get it

Just for the record the build in LVC can not be turned off and is setup for nimh... NOT lipos

Would highly recomend getting one of these [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-LCD-RC-iMAX-B6-Digital-2S-6S-Lipo-NiMH-Battery-Balance-Charger-Fast-shipping-/320797496679?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4ab1055567]Click here[/link]
It will cut ur charging times in 1/2 if not 1/4... highly recomend one of these for it [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/Temperature-Sensor-Probe-for-B5-B6-Balance-Charger-IMAX-/320669300913?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item4aa96138b1]click here[/link]
They run off a car battery but u can buy a additional power pack for inside [link=http://www.ebay.com/itm/AC-Power-Adapter-12V-5A-For-Imax-B5-B6-Balancer-Charger-/130643809615?pt=Radio_Control_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1e6afa554f]click here[/link]
Old 05-09-2012, 06:54 AM
phmaximus

ORIGINAL: RockstarCK

I couldn't tell you what the LVC is, but it seems to cut off while the battery still has plenty of life left, IMO...that's probably my biggest complaint with my wife's Ruckus so far. It makes draining a battery a pain in the butt. I've even resorted to taking the packs out of her truck, plugging them into my 'Pede and discharging them from there. The beeping from the ESC isn't very loud, so if you're 20 feet away it's very likely that you wouldn't be able to hear it. The truck should hold up quite well for your son though, and I hope he has a blast with it.
What do u mean by draining the battery??? how flat are u flattining it?
U should be flattining it to only 1v-1.1v percell under load
Old 05-09-2012, 07:33 AM
RockstarCK

When the LVC on her Ruckus kicks in and interferes, I usually put the pack in my Stampede and get several more minutes of good run time out of it. Once it slows down to an undesirable level, I switch it out for a new pack. I don't have anything to check levels with, so I couldn't tell you what rate I'm discharging them to.
Old 05-09-2012, 07:43 AM
phmaximus

ahhh cool, makes sence now [8D] was worried for a min that u were running them dead flat lol

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.