Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

First truck for Son

Old 04-16-2012, 11:48 AM
jkinosh

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default First truck for Son

Looking for some suggestions for a first truck for my son to be 6 year old son. Thinking about the Duratrax Evader EXT2 or possibly the ECX Ruckus. Need something that can take the beating a 6 year old will put on it, and allow him to have some fun. He already has one of the chepies from walmart, but want something that he can drive in the Gravel, Dirt and Grass in the backyard.
Hoping to stay in the 150 range.

Jacob
Old 04-16-2012, 11:56 AM
Phoenix XB Racer

Default RE: First truck for Son

For about 150 dollars, you could get the Thunder Tiger Phoenix XT. It is a re-released Associated T3 and it's decently durable if you don't crash it.
Old 04-16-2012, 12:44 PM
SmOkEeJay

My 7yr old son has an ECX Boost. It is very durable and quick for brushed. Perfect for a starter rc.
Old 04-17-2012, 04:29 AM
jkinosh

I Might have to take another look at the ECX Models. Really want something that is going to take a beating. He really wants something that he will be able to cruise the yard with and maybe some jumps.

Thanks again,

Jacob
Old 04-17-2012, 11:36 PM
cumquat

you wont go wrong with either. i have had the ext and the ext2, both took some punishment. the ext was my first hobby grade 4 years ago, it lasted a bunch of stupid beginner ideas. the ext2 withstood 4 months of an overpowered brushless system. it flipped, rolled, tumbled, cartwheeled and just in general got thrashed with only the trans giving out after 2 and a half months, the body getting destroyed from wheelies and the motor guard getting worn out. with the stock brushed system, he wont be able to break it too easily and there is the 1 year stress tech guarantee.
Old 04-18-2012, 04:40 AM
jkinosh

Would I be OK going to LiPo, if I add a cut-off, on either of these for him, or should I just stich to NiMh? Want to be able to get some good runtimes so he doesn't get board with it to fast.

Suggestions on an onlie shop for either truck and batteries. Local shops don't seem to carry much and the last one I called the guy was very rude on the phone.

Old 04-18-2012, 05:01 AM
RockstarCK

I recently bought an ECX Ruckus for my wife. You can NOT go wrong with that truck! The price is unbeatable, and it comes with EVERYTHING you need in the box...including the AAs. The weakest part of the truck is the body, but everything else is almost bullet proof. It's got pretty good speed out of the box, especially for a small child. I would highly recommend upgrading the front bumper though - the stock bumper is about as effective as what comes on a Traxxas Stampede. T-Bone Racing makes a really nice front bumper for bashing and beginner drivers. The truck looks good, is hobby level (which means you can upgrade it when the time comes), but is designed specifically for beginners.
Old 04-18-2012, 05:56 AM
cumquat

ORIGINAL: jkinosh

Would I be OK going to LiPo, if I add a cut-off, on either of these for him, or should I just stich to NiMh? Want to be able to get some good runtimes so he doesn't get board with it to fast.

Suggestions on an onlie shop for either truck and batteries. Local shops don't seem to carry much and the last one I called the guy was very rude on the phone.

http://www.ultimatehobbies.com/store...VADER+EXT2+RTR best price out there. i dont see why you couldnt run either on lipo with the stock system. if he doesnt like the speed, this will give it a boost in speed without becoming uncontrollable for him http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-blcomb...0r-3930kv.html it's out of stock right now but when it comes back in stock, grab one even if it's not needed yet, they dont stay in stock long and it can take a while for them to get more.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:21 AM
SmOkEeJay

We run a 2s 5000mah lipo in my son's Boost. Run time is incredible. He gets about an hour out of it before lvd.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:27 AM
jkinosh

I would guess that the Ruckus would be comparable for runtime. How has it been as for broken parts?

I think I would need to retrofit some sort of full front bumper on it though, Don't want him going full speed into something and destroying the truck.

Any idea what aftermarket parts fit from other trucks?

You said you run a 2S 5000Mah LiPo, what C rating and brand? I've seen the Sky Lipo, and was thinking about those.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:32 AM
SmOkEeJay

The only broken part so far is a front shock. I was doing some high speed slides in the parking lot with my Rustler and my son was trying to follow. He hit a curb at full throttle and the bottom shock mount broke on the shock. No big deal. He runs a SPC 25c lipo. It is plenty of power for the Boost and wheelies very well. The Boost is a very good jumper also. ECX is part of Horizon Hobbies so I imagine a lot of Losi stuff will fit.
Old 04-18-2012, 10:34 AM
jkinosh

Thanks I think I'm going to look into the ecx stuff further. He saw the Black Evader RTR and fell in love with black truck, all he keeps talking about is wanting to get a black truck to drive in the grass and gravel.

Old 04-18-2012, 10:59 AM
RockstarCK

In my other reply a little bit ago, I mentioned the T-Bone Racing bumper upgrade. It has a lifetime warranty, so if it EVER breaks, you can just take a picture of it and they'll send you a new one (from my understanding, at least). You can also use the front bumper from the Torment, which adds a little more coverage than the stock one, but for the money, I would highly recommend the T-Bone Racing bumper.
Old 04-18-2012, 03:17 PM
cumquat

I would guess that the Ruckus would be comparable for runtime. How has it been as for broken parts?

I think I would need to retrofit some sort of full front bumper on it though, Don't want him going full speed into something and destroying the truck.

Any idea what aftermarket parts fit from other trucks?

You said you run a 2S 5000Mah LiPo, what C rating and brand? I've seen the Sky Lipo, and was thinking about those.

gens ace are pretty good. i had a 5000mah 2s 40c and it was comparable to my present pack, a reedy 5000mah 25c. the gens was a tad more powerful do to the higher c but in every other respect they are the same and the gens is $20 or so less.
Old 04-18-2012, 06:42 PM
cummins driver
My Feedback: (31)

I ran my evader EXT2 stock for a little bit before i put the brushless in it. I really liked the truck. Looks way better than the ruckus IMO. I really think you'll have a hard time breaking a lot with the truck being stock.

And actually, mine was surprisingly quick with a 7 cell or a 2s lipo. It would wheelie slightly on a carpet from a stop and had decent top speed. Duratrax is very very good with warranty replacements as well. They always sent anything i broke right out to me. There were a couple things i didnt like about the evader when going to higher powered setups, but for a beginner, i think its the best bang for the buck on the market.
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Db85227.jpg
Views:	12
Size:	78.2 KB
ID:	1752225  
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 AM
jkinosh

ORIGINAL: cummins driver

I ran my evader EXT2 stock for a little bit before i put the brushless in it. I really liked the truck. Looks way better than the ruckus IMO. I really think you'll have a hard time breaking a lot with the truck being stock.

And actually, mine was surprisingly quick with a 7 cell or a 2s lipo. It would wheelie slightly on a carpet from a stop and had decent top speed. Duratrax is very very good with warranty replacements as well. They always sent anything i broke right out to me. There were a couple things i didnt like about the evader when going to higher powered setups, but for a beginner, i think its the best bang for the buck on the market.

That is the exact model of the evader that he saw when we were online looking.

What battery packs and charger would you reccomend to get him started? Thinking might start him off with NiMh then go to LiPo later, but get a chagrger that is capable of both.

I already have a PC Power supply that has been converted to run 12-volt chargers, I believe a Multi-meter on it showed 12 - 13 volts, and I think it is rated for 15 amp

Old 04-19-2012, 11:16 AM
cumquat

the duratrax onyx packs are pretty good for the money. i have a pair of the 3000mah 6 cells and an onyx 220 charger. that charger is good but it's nickle only and sells for more than my lipo chargerhttp://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html
Old 04-19-2012, 11:22 AM
jkinosh

ORIGINAL: cumquat

the duratrax onyx packs are pretty good for the money. i have a pair of the 3000mah 6 cells and an onyx 220 charger. that charger is good but it's nickle only and sells for more than my lipo chargerhttp://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html

I had actually seen that charger, was also thinking about [link=http://www.hobbypartz.com/26p-balancecharger-6200.html]SkyCharger 6200[/link]
Old 04-19-2012, 11:41 AM
cumquat

looks good for futureproofing.
Old 04-19-2012, 01:22 PM
cummins driver

That is the exact model of the evader that he saw when we were online looking.

What battery packs and charger would you reccomend to get him started? Thinking might start him off with NiMh then go to LiPo later, but get a chagrger that is capable of both.

I already have a PC Power supply that has been converted to run 12-volt chargers, I believe a Multi-meter on it showed 12 - 13 volts, and I think it is rated for 15 amp

I also like the duratrax onyx packs as were mentioned above, and have had good luck with traxxas 7 cell's as well. Honestly, id stick with 7 cell NiMh packs. They give good performance and last well in something like an evader. My wife has a brushless T4 and its plenty fast on 7 cells as well and gets about 30 minutes of run time too, so they should be fine even if you happened to go to brushless later.

For the charger, since you have a power supply, this is my reccomendation:

http://www.hobbypartz.com/60p-dyc-1004.html

It will charge anything from NiMh's, LiFe, LiPo, and even your lawnmower battery. Basically if you ever want to experiment with lipo or anything like that, you wont need to upgrade the charger. I have been using one of these for probably 2 years now and it hasnt given me a single issue. Very happy with it, and you cant beat the price.

I also have the thunder AC6 which is very similar, it just has a built in power supply instead and is about $44 instead of $24.

Id say two 7 cell nimh's and the dynam supermate charger will have you a great setup. Should get about an hour's run time with both batteries charged and have decent power. [8D]

Old 04-20-2012, 08:25 AM
jkinosh

After doing some more reading, My question is if we run the Evader Ext 2 stock with 6 or 7 Cell 3000Mah NiMh batteries, will I be needing to rebuild the Transmission or gearing in short order? Or should I just leave the clutch set a little looser for him?

Still trying to find some more info on the ECX Ruckus, but it doesn’t seem like there are a lot of reviews out there yet.

I just don’t want him to be spending more time waiting for me to repair things, than actually running the Truck.

I will try to get a few picture of our yard so you can see the environment that it will be running in, but for now I have attached a quick drawing of our yard, Dimensions are estimated, but probably close. The yard is surrounding with a chain link fence.

Name:	Nl29798.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	1752697  
Old 04-20-2012, 08:33 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Heres a review of the ECX Circuit
The ruckus looks like a version they just slapped MT tires on
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Aface54yiqY[/youtube]

Here's one for the evader
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=unYCZo7VBA4&feature=relmfu[/youtube]

Thing I like about his reviews are the RC's are purchased by him(as he says') and not sent by the manufacturers like some reviewers (which skew it from what I seen).
Old 04-20-2012, 01:33 PM
cummins driver

After doing some more reading, My question is if we run the Evader Ext 2 stock with 6 or 7 Cell 3000Mah NiMh batteries, will I be needing to rebuild the Transmission or gearing in short order? Or should I just leave the clutch set a little looser for him?

Still trying to find some more info on the ECX Ruckus, but it doesn’t seem like there are a lot of reviews out there yet.

I just don’t want him to be spending more time waiting for me to repair things, than actually running the Truck.

I will try to get a few picture of our yard so you can see the environment that it will be running in, but for now I have attached a quick drawing of our yard, Dimensions are estimated, but probably close. The yard is surrounding with a chain link fence.

An evader in stock trim with a 7 cell or 2s lipo will hold up great. The transmission and gearing will hold up just fine[8D] It took me about 5 hours of running to kill my transmission when I went brushless in it, but thats at least double the stock performance, so you wont have to worry about the transmission. They also have updated transmission parts available now too, so if you want to go brushless later, you can upgrade the transmission as well if needed.
Old 04-20-2012, 02:53 PM
cumquat

the ext2 needs no mods if you run brushed, the trans issues are from running vastly overpowered brushless systems. the consensus seems to say 35A systems do well in the truck with no issues in comparison to what others have run. i ran the ezrun 4000kv 60a with little issue but i know what i'm doing with a controller in my hand and the stock tires have very little traction with that kind of power which helped keep the trans in tact. the reason my trans failed was actually different than what others experienced. the pin that connects the slipper to the top shaft worked its way out and did 2 things; 1. the pin wore a ring into the motor plate and 2. it chewed the case up and caused the top shaft to seize when on the street and the tires locked up. the tires have little traction off road but have enough traction to wheelie on the street. the force of the truck moving 30+mph and the wheels locking up when they have enough traction to wheelie reeked havoc on the trans.
Old 04-21-2012, 01:44 PM
jkinosh

Here's the picture I promised.

Name:	Hf99563.jpg
Views:	16
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	1753230  

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.