Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Losi XXX SCB, anyone got brushless in theirs?

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2016, 02:13 PM
RustyUs

Received 40 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by 67Stingrayj
OK Community, I put in a 25 tooth pinion gear today thinking it would increase the speed on my 17.5 turn sensored burshless motor and no dice. I really hope it's not the new ESC i got. The brushed motor/ESC combo I had on there previously reacts faster on the throttle and turns the motor faster.
That "free" motor was bad to begin with? 25 tooth pinion gear sounds about right if running a 75T spur gear. I don't know what spur gear came with the SCB, or what Losi recommended gearing is for a 17.5T motor. Maybe go check out some setup sheets for the Losi SCT, and see what gearing is used for 17.5T motors.
Old 08-16-2016, 04:39 PM
67Stingrayj

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RustyUs
That "free" motor was bad to begin with? 25 tooth pinion gear sounds about right if running a 75T spur gear. I don't know what spur gear came with the SCB, or what Losi recommended gearing is for a 17.5T motor. Maybe go check out some setup sheets for the Losi SCT, and see what gearing is used for 17.5T motors.
If I knew how to test the motor I would.

I have got to do something about this ESC. The thing is not working properly. It beeps different tones around every 3 seconds. I'm sure they all are for a different option to program in the ESC, but I don't know what or how to adjust. I cannot justify spending more $ so I have to figure out how to reprogram the thing with the beeps and notes. Anyone know where I can find a spec sheet or manual for the ESC? If I have to I'll some how figure out a way to communicate what order and sound the beeps/tones are played.
Old 08-16-2016, 05:08 PM
67Stingrayj

Originally Posted by RustyUs
When I hooked up my HobbyWing programming card to the "blue" 120A ESC, it's the same list as this (from my HobbyWing EZRun ESC):

The black squares are the ESC's default settings. My blue ESCs had 100% punch setting, and full timing advanced. I don't recall what the Low Voltage Cutoff default was. I tried to program the ESC using the "counting LED and beeps" method, but had no luck.
Rusty, I found this link. Is there an active RPM control on this ESC? I tried to get the ESC to play the melodies again with no luck.

1.) I powered on the transmitter.
2.) held down the red button on ESC (on power switch)
3.) Powered on my ESC

After that order of procedures, the ESC beeps short short beeps nonstop until I either power it off, or press the red button again.
Old 08-17-2016, 04:17 PM
RustyUs

Active RPM control...no.

I tried so many times to figure out the combo of right button pushing, trigger pulling techniques...my head was spinning.
Old 08-17-2016, 05:38 PM
67Stingrayj

Last night I did some random blinks and beeps and button/throttle bushing trying to program this ESC and by pure luck I made it's behavior change! Before when I gave it throttle, the thing would go to doubt 50% power for about half a second but then ramp up to full throttle. Last night I (lucky) changed it to where when I gave it throttle, it was all in. No holding back.

BUT, tonight (after only turning off the car and transmitter the previous night) the ESC had switched back to the 50% initial power setting. I'm telling you this ESC is possessed or something. Was last night an anomaly? The mystery continues.
Old 08-19-2016, 12:33 PM
RustyUs

After 20 more minutes of messing around, I just thought I would keep the setup button pushed (and not letting off) while turning on the ESC. If you keep the setup button pushed, the whole set of items repeats itself (after you get the ESC into programming mode).

This is the jest of it....

Before you turn on the ESC, push the ESC's setup button and keep it pushed down. Turn on the ESC. Don't let go of the setup button. You should get up to about 12~13 beeps, and this will put you into programming mode (Don't let go of the setup button).

Keep holding the setup button in, and wait for the appropriate item you wish to adjust.Once you get to the item that you want to adjust, let go of the setup button (you only have a second to do so before ESC goes on to the next item). After you arrive at desired item and letting go of the setup button, pressing the setup button now will begin to adjust the values within the item. Press setup button repeatedly until you have your desired value that you want. Turn off ESC to save your selection.

Repeat above steps for other items to adjust.

I believe there is 10 different items to adjust, as there is 10 different tones. The first 4 items are represented by beeps (dots):
beep = 1st item
beep, beep = 2nd item
beep, beep, beep = 3rd item
beep, beep, beep, beep = 4th item

After the forth item you start to get a longer beep tone mixed in with the beep(s). I haven't begun to see what each item correlates to i.e., item 1= Running Mode (forward only w brake, forward/reverse w brake, and forward and reverse) item 2 = Drag Brake Force

I'm taking a guess and the first 10 items on a HobbyWing programming card will match up to the ESC's items that are adjustable. That being said...get a good close up of a programming card.

If none of this makes sense, I'll try to explain better later. Wife, kid, and I are going for some Mexican cuisine.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-24-2016 at 01:02 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 03:12 PM
RustyUs

Above steps do work to manually set ESC's items, and their values. I tried to word it as best I could. It's a very long process to say the least; especially if you want to get to items 9 (Timing) and 10 (Over-heat Protection).

Sad part about my whole ordeal and trying to figure out this ESC ...stupid little red button (setup button) no longer works. I wore it out! Make you pushes count!

Hopefully I won't have to calibrate my ESC to my transmitter again. If so, I guess I'm gonna have to do some surgery, and install new on/off switch.

Last edited by RustyUs; 08-19-2016 at 03:25 PM.
Old 08-19-2016, 08:36 PM
67Stingrayj

Rusty,
I completely get it now. Once you know it, it's so simple. Hold down the set button then turn on the ESC and never let go! There are 10 program options:

1.) (beep) Running mode
2.) (beep beep) Drag Brake Force
3.) (beep beep beep) Low voltage cutoff threshold
4.) (beep beep beep beep) Start mode (punch)
5.) (beeeeeeep) Max brake force
6.) (beeeeeeep beep) Max revers force
7.) (beeeeeeep beep beep) Initial Brake Force
8.) (beeeeeeep beep beep beep) Neutral Range
9.) (beeeeeeep beep beep beep beep) Boos Timing
10.) (beeeeeeep beeeeeeep) Over-heat protection

So, depending on which of the above perimeters you want to modify, that's when you let go of the set button (be prepared to endure some button pressing pain).

Once your in the desired parameter you want to modify, it will indicate the value of that parameter through beeps. If it beeps once, your in value 1 and it will continue to beep once every few seconds until you either turn off the ESC or pres the setup button which moves you into the next set-point.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture 1.JPG
Views:	705
Size:	54.0 KB
ID:	2177574  
Old 08-20-2016, 03:07 AM
RustyUs

You got it dude.

Just be gentile as possible. Using only enough force to push the setup button down and no more. I thought I was going easy on mine when it pooped on me. I think quality control on these "blue" 120A speed controls is not the best. In all fairness, I never liked those type of setup buttons. I don't know the technical word for the type of button anymore, but I've repaired/replaced many of them on guitar effects pedal boards. Why some companies use a ten cent button, under a person's foot, to control a five-hundred dollar pedal board is beyond me. Now that's frustration.