Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Tamiya Kits

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2012, 01:08 PM
iXMufasaXi

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Tamiya Kits

Hi! I'm new to the r/c car hobby and I was thinking about getting a tamiya kit. I am looking at the cheaper kits right now because I just got an expensive plane then spent a lot on repairs after a bad crash. I am looking at the following but I need help choosing which one to get:

Rising Fighter
Grasshopper
Hornet
Fighter Buggy

I have read a lot about these and every time I find a forum where someone is asking which one they should get I discover a new one. It actually all started with the grasshopper and then I heard about the hornet, then I saw that the rising fighter was cheaper than both of them then I saw how sweet the fighter buggy looked and it is about the same price as the hornet. I want it to be fast but I also want it to be one that can eventually be upgraded and I have heard that the grasshopper has a bad gear box. These are the only ones I could find so if somebody could help me choose the best one and possibly help me find the rest of the parts so that it is no more than $180 then that would be awesome.

If anybody could find an on-road kit that would total less than $180 and also fast then please share
Old 10-04-2012, 01:33 PM
Eman77

Default RE: Tamiya Kits

Sounds like you're leaning towards a 1/10 2WD buggy, which is fine. How about something from the DT-02 chassis? It's a bit more modern than the ones you listed. Nothing wrong with them, but a few on your list are re-releases of older models, just for fun.

Sand Viper is a good example. Or for 4WD, something like a Gravel Hound (DF02 chassis)?

A bit newer than the DT-02 platform is the DN01 (like the Zahak), but it's more expensive.

Lots of choices!
Old 10-04-2012, 01:40 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: Eman77

Sounds like you're leaning towards a 1/10 2WD buggy, which is fine. How about something from the DT-02 chassis? It's a bit more modern than the ones you listed. Nothing wrong with them, but a few on your list are re-releases of older models, just for fun.

Sand Viper is a good example. Or for 4WD, something like a Gravel Hound (DF02 chassis)?

A bit newer than the DT-02 platform is the DN01 (like the Zahak), but it's more expensive.

Lots of choices!
Plasma Edge is better cause its cheaper
Gravel hounds sticker sheet adds like $20 to the price [:@]
seriously though out of the RC's I own (some the electronics cost damn near $300 alone) the DF-02 is probably one of my favorites
Old 10-04-2012, 02:26 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

plasma edge $120 (might be able to find it for a tad less)

skyfly 2.4ghz radio $25ish
towerpro MG servo $10
gens ace 5000mah nimh battery $20
gens ace 4.0 banana connector (so the esc plug will match the battery's plug) $2.00

All the parts can be found on hobbypartz.com. orders over $50 from that site ship for free.

Thats gets you a tick under $180, for a 4wd buggy RTR with battery.

those parts listed will work with any of the tamiya kits.

You could also look at the midnight pumkin, lunchbox, holiday buggy, and rover.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:12 PM
iXMufasaXi

I have actually looked at the gravel hound and the sand viper before and after adding the extra electronics it was just out of my price range. I would love to get one of those but they are too expensive.
That is exactly what I was looking for! I have never heard of the plasma edge before, but unless someone else makes a better suggestion then I think I will go with it.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:43 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: nitrosportsandrunner

skyfly 2.4ghz radio $25ish
towerpro MG servo $10
gens ace 5000mah nimh battery $20
gens ace 4.0 banana connector (so the esc plug will match the battery's plug) $2.00

All the parts can be found on hobbypartz.com. orders over $50 from that site ship for free.

Thats gets you a tick under $180, for a 4wd buggy RTR with battery.

those parts listed will work with any of the tamiya kits.

You could also look at the midnight pumkin, lunchbox, holiday buggy, and rover.
would like to add an $8 UBEC seeing the tamiya 104BK will total the receiver without it.
http://www.hobbypartz.com/ub2liin.html
I actually use that one in my hornet that uses a tamiya 104bk ESC

Actually had to repair my plasma edge the other day cause my nephew thought it would be cool to crash my other DF-02 into it when I was going full speed. Only thing I broke on it was the shocks end (they were aftermarket shocks anyways) and I kept driving it missing a shock for 15 mins as it was the only RC I brought to drive myself . Funny thing it did surprisingly well - a front shock. Parts cost me a whole 15 cents to repair it(I already had the rod ends for another project that is on hold)

BTW to the OP if you got with the DF-02 do this $5 mod that wil take like 10 mins http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_10089079/tm.htm it will save your chassis. I snapped a chassis when I got mine originally from a minor hit, now after that lets face it as I said I got into a head on with another DF-02(that was modded into a truck, which I also did that mod to) with no real broken parts
Old 10-04-2012, 03:47 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

yeh, tamiya is a bit weird with they prices.
the gravel hound and the plasma edge are the SAME. Just different decal sheet as syco pointed out.

both syco and I have owned a plasma edge.

Its not very fast in stock form. but its still fun to drive. And the driveline can handle a brushless system. So down the road, you can upgade the speed and power for under $80.

nice catch on the UBEC syco. forgot about the 104 needing that.

Also, listen to syco on that mod. I ignored syco's warning when I built my plasma. 4th battery pack threw it I snapped the chassis.

With the new chassis I did that mod and never had an issue after that.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:52 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

yeh, tamiya is a bit weird with they prices.
the gravel hound and the plasma edge are the SAME. Just different decal sheet as syco pointed out.

both syco and I have owned a plasma edge.

Its not very fast in stock form. but its still fun to drive. And the driveline can handle a brushless system. So down the road, you can upgade the speed and power for under $80.
yup on brushless as that is what mine runs
I found it funny after all my mods the stock one(outside the pin mod) took no damage.

To the OP forgot to say don't think of that weakness I put a link to strengthen as a negative I know of WAY more expensive RC's that require literally $100+ to repair their weaknesses. $5 is actually pretty damn cheap in comparison .

Also I snapped my chassis prior to it on like the 12th pack. Now on the 20-30th or so on the new one with no issues, and ran it way harder.
Old 10-04-2012, 03:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

agreed, the weakness is minor in comparison to flaws in some more expensive models.

And I think that syco will agree that it is unlikely to break with the stock power setup. But we both upgraded to brushless which means higher speeds. Higher speed always means harder crashes and more damage.
But since the mod is cheap and easy to do, and you build the model to start with, it just makes sense to do it whether you intend to run the stock setup or a brushless system.

syco, I regret selling my plasma edge
Old 10-04-2012, 04:04 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

agreed, the weakness is minor in comparison to flaws in some more expensive models.

And I think that syco will agree that it is unlikely to break with the stock power setup. But we both upgraded to brushless which means higher speeds. Higher speed always means harder crashes and more damage.
But since the mod is cheap and easy to do, and you build the model to start with, it just makes sense to do it whether you intend to run the stock setup or a brushless system.

syco, I regret selling my plasma edge
agree the buggy was made for 20ish MPH on brushed I pushed mine to I'd estimate 40ish
also why my sig says with great speed comes greater repair bills

I think my plasma is one of the few I haven't gotten tired of pretty fast, and its currently the oldest electric RC I own the one I had before it I threw in the garbage literally I was so fed up with it... only kept the shocks, tires, wing mount, and electronics off it(it was a Brama 10b).
Old 10-04-2012, 04:48 PM
iXMufasaXi

The plasma edge definitely sounds like the best deal for my situation and I will probably end up getting it. Just out of curiosity, which one out of the ones I listed originally and the plasma edge would be the fastest with the stock set up?
Old 10-04-2012, 05:31 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

probably about the same as they all have 27t motors

major difference will be in their control as the 2wd's you linked use friction shocks (no fluid) they like to bounce all over the place, where the DF-02's use dampened shocks for a more stable drive. Also the front shock tower is part of the chassis on those 2wd's, and IMO pretty thin so if it breaks you need a new chassis(main reason I'm scared to run mine actually). I own a hornet don't get me wrong its a decent RC, but in comparison the DF-02 would mop the floor with it. The DF-02 also has way more after market support, and can be made to go way faster seeing its got steel diff gears.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:39 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: iXMufasaXi

The plasma edge definitely sounds like the best deal for my situation and I will probably end up getting it. Just out of curiosity, which one out of the ones I listed originally and the plasma edge would be the fastest with the stock set up?
most of the kits in the price range has the same motor and ESC combo. So top speeds are fairly close.
The holiday buggy and and some other dt-02 chassis come with 380 sized motors (the others have 540 motors) so they are a bit slower.
Tho, the ones with the 380 motors can be upgraded to a 540 motor real easy.

Basically, as syco mentioned most of these kits with the stock motor installed will do a hair over 20mph.

using a better battery can up that a tad, but not much.

Upgrading the ESC and motor to a brushless setup, and using a 2s lipo will increase the speed ALOT.

The DF-02 is a great chassis cause you can have fun with it as is. And when you have more money, upgrade it to brushless. You only have to buy the motor and ESC, as the drivetrain is already strong enough to handle the extra power.
many other models if upgrade to brushless require other parts in order to handle the extra power.

On mine, I had a $70 brushless system and the alloy shock towers. Otherwise it was stock.
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b-7mpcF5ewQ[/youtube]
Old 10-04-2012, 05:47 PM
iXMufasaXi

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help! This is the first time I have ever used a forum for help and it is so much better than I thought it would be. I spent hours searching for answers and found nothing haha. I bet that if I can get the car in the next month then I can get my parents to buy me some new parts or something for christmas. The video was great and the speed and handling in it is exactly what I am looking for.
Old 10-05-2012, 01:23 PM
Mustang1971
My Feedback: (30)

Big supporter of the old "Tamiya Frog" for perfect first all around buggy. It was my first in the early '80's and now I have a new one. Same exact kit as it was in the '80's which was half the fun for me! The only difference is the abscence of the mechanical speed control and dangerously hot ceramic resistors! Pretty quick out of the box handles well considering it is 30+ year old technology. Pretty cheap also.

http://www.spektrumrc.com/Articles/A...ArticleID=2192
Old 10-05-2012, 03:25 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: iXMufasaXi

Awesome! Thanks so much for the help! This is the first time I have ever used a forum for help and it is so much better than I thought it would be. I spent hours searching for answers and found nothing haha. I bet that if I can get the car in the next month then I can get my parents to buy me some new parts or something for christmas. The video was great and the speed and handling in it is exactly what I am looking for.
please note that mine (in that vid) had a brushless system and not the stock motor.

this vid will give a better idea of the stock speed as well as its durability:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsYmMp2Qr6U[/youtube]
But when you feel you want more speed, the plasma can be upgraded to brushless for as little as $60.
Old 10-05-2012, 04:51 PM
iXMufasaXi

please note that mine (in that vid) had a brushless system and not the stock motor.
Ya, that's what I figured. What I meant is when I can upgrade it I would like a build similar to yours after watching that video.
Is it just me or is the spoiler on the back flimsy? It looked like it was going to fall off every time he ramped.
Old 10-05-2012, 05:16 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

its a piece of lexan, and yes kinda flimsy

I mounted a 1/8th scale buggy wing to mine using a mount off another RC that I modified to fit.

what mine looks like with a few aftermarket parts, and different rims/tires (this was before I swapped to alum bodied shocks though)
Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Fa85694.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	48.2 KB
ID:	1808180   Click image for larger version

Name:	Rw59358.jpg
Views:	31
Size:	70.6 KB
ID:	1808181  
Old 10-05-2012, 05:56 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

the flexability of the wing actually makes it last a fairly long time. when driving at full speed you dont notice it as much.

In my video, it was off cause I had been running 2.2 truck tires that were twice as tall as the stock tires and would hit the wing.
Old 10-05-2012, 10:29 PM
iXMufasaXi

I still don't completely understand the parts quite yet so would any of these fly sky radios work?http://www.hobbypartz.com/fsgrco.html
Which of these servos is the correct one?http://www.hobbypartz.com/tpro1.html
Which of these batteries is the correct one?http://hobbypartz.ecommerce-site-sea...batteries.html
Is there another good place to buy a banana connector? They are out of stock on hobbypartz.com.
Sorry I asking so many questions lol. This will be my first car and I just want to make sure I am getting it all right. The help is much appreciated!
Old 10-06-2012, 05:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

I think id try this servo: http://www.hobbypartz.com/33p-solarservo-d227.html
I like the tower pro MG (995 or 996R) servos but they are often out of stock on hobbypartz.

The flysky I was thinking of are the $19 ones. You might be able to find them elsewhere for the same price. I know on ebay they go for $30-$40 for the same unit.

This battery should work well: http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-7...flat-pack.html