Community
Search
Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

Is this lipo bad?

Search this Thread

Old 10-12-2012, 05:49 PM
samguan

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Is this lipo bad?

So I got two Turnigy 180mAh small lipos from Hobbyking and when they arrived, both were at storage voltages.

I didn't charge them before I started using them. After the cut off, both lipos seem to be bad. If you look at the picture below from my logger.

The voltage on the first cell is too low but it climbs back up slowly.

I've bought two Rhino version couple months back for my Losi Micro SCT and they had the same problem.

Old 10-12-2012, 05:59 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: Is this lipo bad?

should have balance charged em fully

also what amp rating is the micro SCT? 180mah seems extremely small for anything. My radio would even destroy those in minutes
Old 10-12-2012, 07:12 PM
guver
My Feedback: (325)

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If this is a 2s pack then the only thing we can know is that cell 1 is smaller OR just had lower voltage. If the voltages started out equal then it is smaller. May not be bad at all.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:06 AM
SuchIsLife

The difference between 2.92 and 3.36v in a lipo might be 2% of capacity. Your pack is fine. Try charging it (slowly from voltage that low) and you'll find they are both close to 4.2v.

You shouldn't run packs down to LVC though, you will damage them. They will livw much longer if you stop at 20% capacity remaining.
Old 10-15-2012, 06:45 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

yeh, the difference between the 2 isnt that huge, and the lower is still high enough that it should take a charge.

Id balance charge these packs every time tho.
Old 10-15-2012, 05:28 PM
phmaximus

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

it should even out after a good ballance charge, or even a few cycles
Old 10-17-2012, 07:42 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: SuchIsLife

Thedifferencebetween 2.92 and 3.36v in a lipo might be 2% of capacity. Your pack is fine. Try charging it (slowly from voltage that low) and you'll find they are both close to 4.2v.

You shouldn't run packs down to LVC though, you will damage them. They will livw much longer if you stop at 20% capacity remaining.
Huh? Really? I thought that's why we HAVE LVC, to prevent damage.

Old 10-17-2012, 07:54 AM
SyCo_VeNoM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

The difference between 2.92 and 3.36v in a lipo might be 2% of capacity. Your pack is fine. Try charging it (slowly from voltage that low) and you'll find they are both close to 4.2v.

Huh? Really? I thought that's why we HAVE LVC, to prevent damage.

yes and no
LVC works fine if its set right, the pack is balanced, and the packs cells discharge in a uniform matter as it just takes a total of the packs voltage, and judges it off that.
If one cell in the pack is weak you can literally end up with 2.5volts on one cell while the other is at 3.7volts, and it will still allow you to run if you set the LVC to 3 volts per cell(seems standard setting on a lot of ESC's) as the battery voltage would be 6.2 volts. That kind of situation is also why I set my LVCs on the higher conservative side of 3.4volts per cell so even if one gets out of whack it should stop prior to it hitting below 3 volts

I think it would be neat if ESC manufacturers put balance ports on the ESC's so they can monitor actual battery voltage, and not just estimate it
Old 10-30-2012, 04:13 PM
ElectricGuy007

The difference between 2.92 and 3.36v in a lipo might be 2% of capacity. Your pack is fine. Try charging it (slowly from voltage that low) and you'll find they are both close to 4.2v.

You shouldn't run packs down to LVC though, you will damage them. They will live much longer if you stop at 20% capacity remaining.
Yeah dont run to Low Voltage cutoff. It does more harm than good.

I have a Lipo that does that. It Climbs all the way to 8.16V and stops (if you combine both cells together).
My charger did save the Lipo thou and now its going to 8.40V. I usually run the car for 10-15 mins and stop.
7.60V is the storage charge voltage.
Old 12-09-2012, 01:53 AM
SuchIsLife

ORIGINAL: EXT2Rob

I thought that's why we HAVE LVC, to prevent damage.
It prevents you doing total and completedamage. Going down to 3v won't kill the pack. But it stresses it. Going down to 0v will kill the pack after a few times, if not straight away.
Same logic as your car - it has a redline you shouldn't rev over or you will do damage. That doesn't mean it's fine to keep it up near the redline the motor every trip. You'll shorten it's life.

When I first started in RC I ran my turnigy LiPo's to LVC. They lasted about a hundred cycles. Now I land at 3.6v per cell, and they last 2 or 3 hundred cycles. Plus, if my approach is not perfect I have a few minutes to go around and make a good one. And land more gracefully.

Old 12-10-2012, 09:45 AM
EXT2Rob
My Feedback: (1)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So you're saying that it's OK to run it to LVC, as long as your LVC setting is conservative enough?  Say, 3.4V/cell?  (Providing the cells are reasonably balanced)