Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

What are some must have rc's.

Old 12-21-2012, 09:46 PM
Xmoto16

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are some must have rc's.

Right Now I have a rustler and im making a lcg 2wd slash and eventually wanna get a mini(idk which one). Can Anyone just throw out there what are some must have rc's for a basher. Try not to get insane with the prices like 1,500+ and no nitro.
Old 12-21-2012, 10:16 PM
Haddi Taha

Default RE: What are some must have rc's.

Depends what you want to do with it,exactly, but I think you should really consider a 1/8 buggy or 1/8 truggy.

I have a Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 for a basher, its huge, exciting, powerful, super durable, what else can you possibly want.

Here is a list of bashers I think are awesome

Thunder Tiger MT4 G3 
Thunder Tiger EB4 G3
Thunder Tiger ST4 G3 
OFNA LX2E 
HPI Vorza Flux Buggy 
Associated RC8.2e

Old 12-21-2012, 10:29 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

Savage flux
everyone needs an insane wheelie machine that can jump like no tomorrow
after that it comes down to personal preference, and what you want out of them
Old 12-21-2012, 11:11 PM
Xmoto16

Ive only heard good thinggs about those thunder tigers.

Keep the comments coming.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:06 AM
Foxy

Everyone should experience building an Xray kit.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:26 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

The Brushless E-Revo is most definitely a must have RC.
Old 12-22-2012, 04:36 AM
HerrSavage

A nitro.
Old 12-22-2012, 11:48 AM
trx1
My Feedback: (2)

stampede e or n version.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:54 PM
Xmoto16

i may eventually fumble with a nitro but not now. I honestly couldnt afford to maintain a nitro right now since im in school. Maybe after i get my own house i would consider a nitro.
Old 12-22-2012, 12:59 PM
HerrSavage

I have six nitros, and just bought my first electric, and electric is anything but cheap...

Nitro has a learning curve - learning how to tune and all - but costs are not significantly different.. Fuel is expensive unfortunately; that's true. But who runs more than 8-10 gallons a year on one RC?(some I know, but not many..)

I really can't believe what people pay to convert their nitros to electric.. Just read on another forum what a guy paid to convert his LST2 - $900... - to convert.. And still he had a used truck...

Losi 454's can be had for 100 bucks on ebay, and are great bashing engines... The trick with nitro is to buy the right stuff. But that's the case with all of RC, right?...

You're also been misled if you assume you have to "fumble" with nitro. It's not rocket science.
Old 12-22-2012, 02:57 PM
SyCo_VeNoM

ORIGINAL: HerrSavage

I have six nitros, and just bought my first electric, and electric is anything but cheap...

Nitro has a learning curve - learning how to tune and all - but costs are not significantly different.. Fuel is expensive unfortunately; that's true. But who runs more than 8-10 gallons a year on one RC?(some I know, but not many..)

I really can't believe what people pay to convert their nitros to electric.. Just read on another forum what a guy paid to convert his LST2 - $900... - to convert.. And still he had a used truck...

Losi 454's can be had for 100 bucks on ebay, and are great bashing engines... The trick with nitro is to buy the right stuff. But that's the case with all of RC, right?...

You're also been misled if you assume you have to ''fumble'' with nitro. It's not rocket science.
agree remember when I was converting my jammin X1 if I would have bought battery boxes they wantd $45-50 a piece (would have needed 2) instead I got 2 stampede chassis's off eay for $7 shipped and hacked them up, and bolted em down they do a great job I remember my motor mount and servo plate setting me back $60-70 too that hurt but there was no real option. Then the $250- 300 on electronics [:@] (I had no issue with that seeing I had a MM sitting there which is why I bought the truck so I had a use for the system)
Old 12-22-2012, 08:44 PM
Xmoto16

No matter what over time nitro cost more.Nitro and Nitro Motors is where all of the money going.(THE SOUND IS NICE THOUGH)
Brushless is set it and forget it. Charge up the batts oils up the bearings and go.
Old 12-22-2012, 09:19 PM
HerrSavage

That's not true either. Brushless puts more strain on things , requiring more parts and repairs(and in some cases, mods). You electric people must be good at rebuilding diffs...

No real quality RC is "set and forget". Same with race cars..

And again, over time, I don't believe nitro is significantly more expensive.
Old 12-27-2012, 12:18 AM
Haddi Taha

That's not true either. Brushless puts more strain on things , requiring more parts and repairs(and in some cases, mods). You electric people must be good at rebuilding diffs...

No real quality RC is "set and forget". Same with race cars..

And again, over time, I don't believe nitro is significantly more expensive.
I agree with the bold, since we drive our rc cars at very high scale speeds and tackle some very unscale terrain, its fair to say that parts will wear unlike a 5km/h toygrade which you drive in circles in your living room

Brushless requires a huge investment upfront but less ongoing cost
Nitro is cheaper to start (no batteries, chargers) but there is a more maintainence to the powerplant.

Old 12-27-2012, 12:39 AM
HerrSavage

To the powerplant, maybe(clutch, basically - mostly bearings and the occasional replacement of shoes/springs, and the occasional needle adjustment.. But tuning is a learning curve, the mastering of which makes the hobby more rewarding.. Once you know what you're doing, it's not high maintenance..) But there's a hell of lot of maintenance with electric to the power source - the batteries.. - and peripheral stuff. Talking mostly about soldering.. (another learning curve I have ahead of me, but don't feel like bothering with just now..)
Old 12-27-2012, 12:48 AM
Haddi Taha

To the powerplant, maybe(clutch, basically, and the occasional needle adjustment.. But tuning is a learning curve, the mastering of which makes the hobby more rewarding.. Once you know what you're doing, it's not high maintenance..) But there's a hell of lot of maintenance with electric to the power source - the batteries.. - and peripheral stuff. Talking mostly about soldering.. (another learning curve I have ahead of me, but don't feel like bothering with just now..)
Not much maintencence to the electric power souce, just buy the motor/esc/batteriers/chargers, put on the right connecters if they are not matching, install and your ready to go. You might have to fiddle with low voltage cutoffs and stuff like that but nothing major.

I have been considering a nitro for a while, but haven't got the push, mainly because if I do, then it will have to be something of decent quality (which costs more) and I forsee myself stumped on tuning.

If I get the final push I will make a thread on it and am considering the tt eb4 s3

Old 12-27-2012, 12:59 AM
HerrSavage

Well I owe you for your help with my electric cluelessness, so would defo help you out getting started in nitro.. It's not nearly as hard as so many electric people make out. And I guess that TT is a good call, since I assume it shares parts with the MT4 G3.. An RTR like that is good, so you can learn on the stock engine, and get something better down the road. Depending on what you want to do though, the stock engine may well be perfectly decent...
Old 12-27-2012, 01:16 AM
wilfredes

Looks awesome, thanks mate.

Old 12-27-2012, 03:11 AM
Haddi Taha

Well I owe you for your help with my electric cluelessness, so would defo help you out getting started in nitro.. It's not nearly as hard as so many electric people make out. And I guess that TT is a good call, since I assume it shares parts with the MT4 G3.. An RTR like that is good, so you can learn on the stock engine, and get something better down the road. Depending on what you want to do though, the stock engine may well be perfectly decent...
Thanks, when its time for another RC, theres are a good chance it will be nitro as I wouldn't mind something a bit different. I would build a kit if I had alot of money but I am really looking for something basic to bash around with every now and then so I figured the eb4 s3 will give me decent quality at a price that suits me.

But since I got the mt4 3 months ago it may be some time.... and there is still plenty of stuff I want to do with my mt4

Old 12-27-2012, 10:02 AM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

Back to the OP's original question on must have RCs.

1/8 buggy
1/8 truggy
1/8 GT car

Take your pick when it comes to brand (notice Traxxas doesn't sell any of these!) but these three classes cover every aspect of RC accept for indoor running in which case I could add something like an AE RC18T or better yet an Xray M18T. The 1/8 buggy will work for smooth offroad surfaces and handles awesome. the 1/8 truggy will handle any surface and handle almost as awesome as the 1/8 buggy. the 1/8 GT car is great for onroad, parking lot bashing and insane triple digit speed runs. I don't think anything 1/10 scale is a must have since the vast majority of the are much more fragile than their 1/8 counterparts and are more limited to the surface they can be run on. but if I had a perfectly smooth and well groomed surface to run on I would like to have a high end 1/10 touring car like a Serpent 411 or an Xray T4 but I don't have access to a perfect surface so thats not a "must have".
Old 12-27-2012, 11:18 AM
TheKennyKiller
Banned

ORIGINAL: yakfish

Back to the OP's original question on must have RCs.

1/8 buggy
1/8 truggy
1/8 GT car

Take your pick when it comes to brand (notice Traxxas doesn't sell any of these!) but these three classes cover every aspect of RC accept for indoor running in which case I could add something like an AE RC18T or better yet an Xray M18T. The 1/8 buggy will work for smooth offroad surfaces and handles awesome. the 1/8 truggy will handle any surface and handle almost as awesome as the 1/8 buggy. the 1/8 GT car is great for onroad, parking lot bashing and insane triple digit speed runs. I don't think anything 1/10 scale is a must have since the vast majority of the are much more fragile than their 1/8 counterparts and are more limited to the surface they can be run on. but if I had a perfectly smooth and well groomed surface to run on I would like to have a high end 1/10 touring car like a Serpent 411 or an Xray T4 but I don't have access to a perfect surface so thats not a ''must have''.
The E-Revo is kinda like a truggy if you put smaller wheels on it. I think the OP wanted brand names rather than types of RC, also you can't cover all aspects of RC without throwing in crawlers and scalers, one of my favorite aspects
Old 12-27-2012, 01:12 PM
phmaximus

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I think a must for most bashes is a 2wd slash, but sounds like u have that covered
The next must have would be a scx10
Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM
BKoz559
My Feedback: (3)

I wanted to add that every RC modler should have a 1/8 scale vehicle and/or a scal vehicle. I don't mean just an off-roader like a SCX10, a well detailed Tamiya touring car or semi truck would be just as good. The goal there is to make it seem as lifelike as possible.
Old 12-27-2012, 02:32 PM
yakfish
My Feedback: (27)

ORIGINAL: TheKennyKiller

The E-Revo is kinda like a truggy if you put smaller wheels on it. I think the OP wanted brand names rather than types of RC, also you can't cover all aspects of RC without throwing in crawlers and scalers, one of my favorite aspects

Yeah... Not really. Traxxas wishes it was kind of like a truggy. It has way too many moving parts to be as reliable as a truggy. And where is the tunability of a center diff? Oh wait... It doesn't have one. The Revo IMO is an over priced under achiever.

I guess I forgot about crawlers and scalers as they really aren't "my thing". My bad.

If the OP was looking for brands to go with the classes I listed here you go:

Kyosho
Mugen
Losi
Xray
Ofna
Associated
Old 12-27-2012, 02:34 PM
Haddi Taha

8 scale is the best