Notices
RC Electric Off-Road Trucks, Buggies, Truggies and more Discuss electric RC off-road, buggies & trucks here. Also discuss brushless motors, speed controllers aka ESC's, brushed motors, etc

New to hobby and looking for recommendations

Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 AM
Boostedeco

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to hobby and looking for recommendations

I new to the hobby and forum. I've been wanting to find and new fun lil hobby for my son and I and think rc cars would be a great fit for the two of us. His 9th birthday is coming up shortly and was gonna surprise him with a new rc truck. I have not bought any cars yet and was wanting some input on what cars you would recommend. I'm just gonna buy him one first and then mine at a later date.

I know that I'm wanting to get him a truck because it will be driven in grass, dirt, and occasionally pavement. I do also know that I want to go the brushless route because of the ease and potential of them for when he gets more experience with it. I was planning in 1/10 scale and was looking to stay in the $200ish range since I know parts will get broken and wanting to eventually upgrade to lipo batteries. Currently I've been eyeing the redcat volcano exp pro and caldera 10e since it seems you get a little more for the money compared to the bigger name brands. What would you guys prefer of these two trucks and what other options would you recommend that are comparable too them in size, style, and price? Thanks in advance for any help/input.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:05 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: New to hobby and looking for recommendations

your budget does limit your options when it comes to brushless truck.
There are some Brushed trucks in that price range which will be better suited for your boy.

The caldera as the volcano are decent trucks for the money. I have owned them both and I like them a lot. I however have been in the hobby for some time and know how to sort out a problem or come up with an easy fix.

Part of the reason the redcat models cost $100 or more less than other brand's 4wd brushless truck is cause they are assembled in china and that is also where the quality control is. Needless to say, the quality control then is not as good as with Traxxas, Losi ect.

Redcat does back up their models well, both with parts support and warrenty. I personally had a new truck arrive with a bad radio. emailed redcat and had a new radio at my door in 6 days.

If you are dead set on brushless and cant spend more than $200, then go fro the caldera. It is just a bit slower than the volcano but is larger and more durable of the 2.

I only caution those new to the hobby about redcat cause if there should be a problem out of the box, it can be very disappointing and a pain trying to figure out whats wrong. see jang's review of the caldera:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T5U-CGrEN7I[/youtube]

If you are willing to consider a brushed truck, then hands down get the ECX torment. waterproof, 2wd short course truck that is RTR. This truck can be upgraded later on to brushless for $80-$100. Out of the box it will do 25mph. If you upgrade to a 2s LIPO battery, more like 30mph. Its a good basher that also does well on a track.

I have owned nearly every redcat electric model. I think they are good models for their cost. Ive also learned a few tricks which make them (especially the epx pro) tougher.

check out my volcano on ice:
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HNmv9PkyHus[/youtube]
Old 07-11-2013, 09:24 AM
Boostedeco

Lol it's funny you mention the ecx torment. We were just at the local hobby shop last night and that was the truck he wanted and was dead set on.  It was $190 there but haven't looked online yet to compare prices.  I'm not dead set on brushless but figured if i could get a brushless in my price range i would.  However i am fairly set on the amount of money to spend which I know limits my options but its for a Young boy and didn't want to go crazy with the amount of money i spend. I'm not so much worried about the speed for him but more the durability. Another thing I didn't mention is I'm a cnc machinist/toolmaker for a living so I can make parts to add to the durability of a rc vehicle. Thanks for the input and after reading a lot of reviews I think the caldera 10e truck is my leading candidate currently.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:49 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: Boostedeco

Lol it's funny you mention the ecx torment. We were just at the local hobby shop last night and that was the truck he wanted and was dead set on. It was $190 there but haven't looked online yet to compare prices. I'm not dead set on brushless but figured if i could get a brushless in my price range i would. However i am fairly set on the amount of money to spend which I know limits my options but its for a Young boy and didn't want to go crazy with the amount of money i spend. I'm not so much worried about the speed for him but more the durability. Another thing I didn't mention is I'm a cnc machinist/toolmaker for a living so I can make parts to add to the durability of a rc vehicle. Thanks for the input and after reading a lot of reviews I think the caldera 10e truck is my leading candidate currently.
caldera is a good truck. and 4wd does make it more offroad capable.
The ECX has the advantage of being supported by more hobbyshops. Not all hobby shops carry redcat. Make sure yours does, cause if not you will be ordering any parts offline.

If you can CNC your own parts, that would be sweet. Only major issue owners have with the caldera is the pivot screws which hold the steering hub to the C hub tend to back out (self tapping screw into plastic were there is a lot of vibration)
There are alloy upgrade parts, but it runs nearly $65 for both. If you can CNC your own that would be really cool.

The torment I am gonna say is a bit tougher than the caldera. Partly cause it is a tad slower, but also cause it is lighter with less moving parts (2wd vs 4wd) I doubt your son will be disappointed with the torment. Ive owned one and it was a good truck. good all-around truck.
SCT trucks work well as they have decent ground clearance, longer wheelbase (Than other 1/10 scale models) larger front/rear bumpers and on top a body that looks scale (like a real life truck)

While brushless is nice, the extra speed isn't that big a deal for one's 1st rc. 25mph is plenty fast for a 9 year old. And the truck will handle brushless if you want to upgrade it later on.
Tho the caldera is about $20-$30, do note that the brushless system in it is a low-cost one. Its a perfectly good system, but its not comparable to say, a traxxas vxl system. At most, the caldera will only do 35mph on a 2s lipo....only a touch over 30 on the stock 6cell nimh.

$190 is the norm for the current torment. The older version with spectrum radio and 20t motor (current has a slightly faster 15t motor) was a bit less.

Only thing wrong with the torment is the included battery. its 1500 or 1800mah...which is not much. A 5000mah nimh battery on hobbypartz.com will run you $30. It will be WELL worth the extra runtime and will even add some more low-end punch over the stock battery.

I do recommend the torment over the caldera. Leave 4wd and brushless for when he has more skill. Get the tougher, simpler truck for now. Just try not to take the controller out of his hands too often (and you will, when you see how much fun a truck like that is to drive!)

Old 07-11-2013, 09:58 AM
collector1231
My Feedback: (1)

Go with the 2WD Slash. Its ready to run, extremely durable (haven't had to replace a part in 2+ years. I even use it with a jump onto concrete.). If you'd go to my LHS, they'd set you up with a slash. Redcats aren't really the best quality and there is absolutely no LHS support for parts.
Old 07-11-2013, 10:08 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

ORIGINAL: collector1231

Go with the 2WD Slash. Its ready to run, extremely durable (haven't had to replace a part in 2+ years. I even use it with a jump onto concrete.). If you'd go to my LHS, they'd set you up with a slash. Redcats aren't really the best quality and there is absolutely no LHS support for parts.
not true for all hobby shops.
redcat has over 400 dealers, they aint all online.
but yes, check to see if your hobbyshop carries redcat before buying one.
my local hobby shop doesn't...but since I usually own 4-5 models at one time, if I have to wait a week for a part to come in the mail its not a big deal.
But if you only own 1 model, you want to be able to run down to the hobby shop and pick up a part for it.

also, I think youll find the slash is a bit above your price range. and IMO, the torment handles better out of the box than the slash. the slash is a bit faster (mainly due to the 7cell nimh included instead of a 6cell like the torments) but on a short race track I could beat a slash with my torment.

My local track has an indoor setup that is 60'x80'....with lots of twists and turns. on that short track my torment (stock except for shocks and a 2s lipo) was just as fast as a traxxas slash 4x4 running a 2s lipo! With 4wd and brushless the slash is way faster in a straight line, but on a tight race track the torment handles very well. I really liked that truck. Kept it until I started racing SCT regularly.....the torment's high CG chassis cant compete with a SC10, Blitz or losi XXX truck. Now I have a SC10. But I think I can honestly say that the torment was just as durable as my SC10 (which has some upgrades to it)
If it were my money....between the ecx or the slash Id buy the slash. If I had $250 (I think that's what the slash goes for) Id buy the torment and spend the extra on another battery.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:11 AM
Boostedeco

Now with the torrent is it lipo ready or will I need to do some upgrades in order to run the lipo. My budget is actually $250-275 but that was with buying a extra battery and charger if needed so that why I set the car price at $200. I also like the torrent was waterproof which I don't think the caldera is. 

one other question would you recommend a 4x4 or 2wd. Obviously 4wd adds more parts for my son to break but that aside would the 2wd torrent do good in grass since that's what it will be in a lot of the time. 

Btw I plan on playing with this toy, because like I said in my first post I plan on getting one just not now. Other priorities for me first! But thanks so much for the help so far guys. 

Old 07-11-2013, 11:24 AM
Boostedeco

Also forgot to mention I have 3 local hobby shops but haven't called around to ask if they stock/sell redcat product/parts. The one I was at yesterday didn't have any redcat cars so I'm gonna assume they don't have parts as well. I've read though that redcat parts are interchangeable with other manufactures but don't know how true that is.
Old 07-11-2013, 11:31 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Now with the torrent is it lipo ready or will I need to do some upgrades in order to run the lipo. My budget is actually $250-275 but that was with buying a extra battery and charger if needed so that why I set the car price at $200. I also like the torrent was waterproof which I don't think the caldera is.

one other question would you recommend a 4x4 or 2wd. Obviously 4wd adds more parts for my son to break but that aside would the 2wd torrent do good in grass since that's what it will be in a lot of the time.

Btw I plan on playing with this toy, because like I said in my first post I plan on getting one just not now. Other priorities for me first! But thanks so much for the help so far guys.

caldera is not waterproof. and with a younger driver, waterproof can be a plus. sometimes those puddles are hard to see...LOL.
4wd is obviously better in grass, but as long as the grass isn't more than 2 inch tall the torment will do just fine. But its packed dirt where the torment is the most fun!
I know the torment will handle a 2s lipo....cant recall if the ESC has low voltage detection or not. I think it does, but ask the hobby shop owner first. You can run a lipo in it even if it doesn't have LVD by running a low voltage alarm (very cheap on ebay, $5-$10) or just know when to stop driving. A lipo will have a sudden drop in power when the cells hit 3.0v Its not recommended to run them that low (most low voltage cutoff esc's cut power at 3.2) but as long as you notice that drop in power and stop running it will be fine.
But a 6cell nimh of 5000mah will provide good power and nearly as much runtime as a 2s 5000mah lipo. The extra $85 youd be left with can buy 2 more nimh batteries and a quick charger off hobbypartz. even the hobby shop will likely have a decent nimh and charger for $80-$90.
For a young one the torment will be better. Caldera is fun, but would likely require more repairs. It has a decent driveline, but no slipper clutch. That clutch can absorb landings with the throttle on, or the impact when one drives into something and keeps on the throttle...things younger drivers do often. The torment has a slipper clutch which will save the tranny when those things happen.
Torment also has longer lasting tires (many caldera owners have to buy new tires within 10-15 battery packs) and they also have good tread that works in dirt and still good on pavement.

Only issue my torment gave me was the steering. the system is a bit on and when I replaced my steering servo there were screws that were hard to align correctly again. But that issue didn't come about until after a full summer of bashing.
Only parts that ever broke were the steering and rear wheel hubs. And they didn't break often. Replacement parts were cheap to.
Old 07-11-2013, 01:16 PM
Boostedeco

Ok. I'm gonna research the torrent which I haven't had the chance to yet. I did call around to the other hobby shops though and one of them was a authorized redcat dealer and also stocked parts. They were 7 miles from my work. Thanks again
Old 07-11-2013, 01:55 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Ok. I'm gonna research the torrent which I haven't had the chance to yet. I did call around to the other hobby shops though and one of them was a authorized redcat dealer and also stocked parts. They were 7 miles from my work. Thanks again
well its cool a hobby shop nearby has redcat.
the ECX is the Torment, not torrent tho...lol.
You mentioned your boy was drawn to the torment at the hobby shop. So it sounds like a short course style truck is more his taste.
Tho the caldera does come in a short course style, it is not as scale as others, as jang mentioned in his review.
And if he ever wanted to try racing at a hobby shop, the caldera SC10e wont fit the SCT class. But the torment will and can do just fine on a track.

might wanna keep an eye out for a used torment or caldera or volcano. Reason I say that is cause Ive bought a used volcano EPX Pro for $90 shipped before. And Ive seen torments around $100. RC is more fun when you have others to drive with....so if you can buy one for your boy and YOU, then you can race eachother and such.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:48 AM
Boostedeco

Thanks for the help. Lol i didnt even realize i spelled it torrent. I seen the torment was the runner up for basher of the year in 2012 (per bigsquid) and I seen the 2013 models have been upgraded with stronger parts. Also it's $150 online so it saves me a little more money and i can get him another battery/charger. Now with that being said what battery/charger would you recommend with longer runtime (25min +) and charging time (1 hour or so). Sorry for so many questions but your help has been great so far!
Old 07-12-2013, 01:11 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

Thanks for the help. Lol i didnt even realize i spelled it torrent. I seen the torment was the runner up for basher of the year in 2012 (per bigsquid) and I seen the 2013 models have been upgraded with stronger parts. Also it's $150 online so it saves me a little more money and i can get him another battery/charger. Now with that being said what battery/charger would you recommend with longer runtime (25min +) and charging time (1 hour or so). Sorry for so many questions but your help has been great so far!
If you wanna stick with nimh packs, grab a couple of these: http://www.hobbypartz.com/98p-5000-7...flat-pack.html

and this charger: http://www.hobbypartz.com/73p-ac680-accharger.html

if youd rather go lipo, then: http://www.hobbypartz.com/77p-sl4000-2s1p-40c-2222.html

hobbypartz.com is a great site to buy from....when the stuff is in stock, LOL.

The charger listed will work for nimh or lipo batteries.

The batteries on hobbypartz come with 4.0mm plugs. you will either want to change the torment's esc plug to this type...or change the torment and the battieres to either deans or traxxas plugs.

also, when it comes to lipos....soft case packs fit just fine. to fit a hardcased lipo in the torment, you can adjust the screw depth in the little thumb nobs so that the battery bar will be up higher. you also have to back out the screws holding the ESC tray down a bit. That's why I ran softcase in mine.

Old 07-12-2013, 02:58 PM
Boostedeco

I plan on staying with the nimh packs but just going with a 5000mah. I noticed the factory charger that comes with the car is a 1 hour charger but I'm gonna assume that's with the stock battery and a bigger battery will take longer. However if/when I do buy the charger I will like to get one that charges all batteries types because like I said I plan on getting myself a nitro or brushless car and will run a lipo if i get a brushless. 

Since the local hobby shop has the torment in stock but $40 more than online I'm gonna call and see if they will price match or maybe throw in a free bigger battery. 
Old 07-12-2013, 03:31 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

I plan on staying with the nimh packs but just going with a 5000mah. I noticed the factory charger that comes with the car is a 1 hour charger but I'm gonna assume that's with the stock battery and a bigger battery will take longer. However if/when I do buy the charger I will like to get one that charges all batteries types because like I said I plan on getting myself a nitro or brushless car and will run a lipo if i get a brushless.

Since the local hobby shop has the torment in stock but $40 more than online I'm gonna call and see if they will price match or maybe throw in a free bigger battery.
you r correct, a 5000mah battery will take much longer on the stock charger. the thunder charger (or any other charger with an adjustable charger rate that is capable of up to 5amps) will take at most an hour for a 5000mah pack. much less for the stock 1800mah pack.
Don't for get about buying some deans or traxxas plugs for the batteries and the ESC. I usually buy pre-wired deans plugs off ebay...that way I can just cut off the stock plug and splice the deans plug on. If you know how to solder, then you can buy just the plug...cut of the stock one and solder on the better one.
I didn't realize you could find the torment for $150. got a link to that? Im just wondering which version it is.
Old 07-12-2013, 06:48 PM
Boostedeco

They are all over eBay and amazon for that price and includes shipping. I'm looking at the ecx4000x that's black and orange. I believe that is the 2013 model but will have to double check that. Thanks again for the help.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:03 PM
Boostedeco

After some quick research, ecx website says the torment comes with a 20t motor and 12t esc. All the ones I'm finding online says 15t motor and 15t esc. Hmmm looks like I need to do some more research
Old 07-12-2013, 07:17 PM
nitrosportsandrunner

After some quick research, ecx website says the torment comes with a 20t motor and 12t esc. All the ones I'm finding online says 15t motor and 15t esc. Hmmm looks like I need to do some more research
I had noticed that on ECX website the other day....looks like they have not updated the info there. They do have 15t motors now. It used to be an upgrade option.
Honestly, even the 20t motor version was just fine. the 15t motor just adds a couple extra MPH to the top speed. and the 15t ESC is waterproof where the 12t was not.

I hadn't realized they were going for $150 on ebay. That makes it just an amazing rc for the money. Its worth $190 IMO. For $150 it should be the 1st rc anyone buys. Like I had said, except for getting a higher MAH battery, the torment has all one needs in a RTR truck. Good offroad, fun on pavement, built tough, decent electronics, decent speed....just a great all-around truck.
I noticed the gray/black/green body which is new. Dang, now I want one again!

they upgraded the charger as well. the older model had a slower one. 2.0amp charger is prefect for the 1800mah battery. To get a 1 hour charger in a RTR is pretty decent really.

Also, to get a spectrum radio in a RTR is sweet. That's a really nice radio given the price of the model.

Anyone who buys a $200+ slash over the torment is nuts really. Ive had both and the durability is the same. Torment handles better IMO. Only plus for the slash is more aftermarket support. But there are ECX brand upgrades available. And you can slap just about any 1/10 scale brushless system in that truck when you are ready for more speed.

Old 07-12-2013, 07:29 PM
Boostedeco

Ok the ecx 4000 is the older model with the 20t/12t. The ecx 4000s is the newer model with the 15t/15t
Old 07-13-2013, 02:42 AM
Boostedeco

Well just ordered the torment. $150 shipped through amazon and made sure it had the15t/15t motor/esc. I'm gonna hold off on the battery and charger for the moment. Should have it later next week. I will let you know what he thinks and how everything is going. Thanks again for the help/recommendation
Old 07-13-2013, 06:30 AM
nitrosportsandrunner

Well just ordered the torment. $150 shipped through amazon and made sure it had the15t/15t motor/esc. I'm gonna hold off on the battery and charger for the moment. Should have it later next week. I will let you know what he thinks and how everything is going. Thanks again for the help/recommendation
not a problem. Im sure he will like it. set up a few jumps in the back yard for him. Maybe even a mini track.
Im taking my 3 year old son with me today to the hobby shop's track....gonna run my 2 SC10 trucks. It was fun doing rc before, even more fun when I can do it with my son.
Old 07-13-2013, 07:44 AM
Boostedeco

Oh I'm sure after letting him watch some YouTube videos of one in action, that will be the first thing he begs me to do. 

It's def fun having some family bonding. My son is getting to the age where he is wanting to start tinkering with stuff so this will be a good experience for him.  I'm thinking of buying him a lil tool pack for his truck so he can go though and check the tightness of screws after playing with it. Teach him maintenance and mechanics!!!
Old 07-17-2013, 06:46 PM
Boostedeco

Well my sons torment came in today and he loves it. But having a problem with it. I don't know if its a bad transmitter or sensor but he only has a range of 15-20 ft. I have checked all the connections and they are good. I redid the binding procedure. Tried two different sets of batteries in the transmitter. When we are close and he pulls the trigger the sensor light up by the steering servo stays red till I walk 15 or so feet away holding the car and then starts flashing. So with that being said what do you think my problem is? Thanks in advance. 

Btw also bought another battery for the car. Got a onyx 5000mah at the local hobby shop for $35 and they soldered on the correct connect for me. So now just need to get this lil problem figured out. If I have to and depending on the price I will just buy the parts there instead of dealing with shipping it back and waiting on another car. 
Old 01-18-2014, 11:08 AM
jwager

Default Be nice to the shops...

Originally Posted by Boostedeco
I plan on staying with the nimh packs but just going with a 5000mah. I noticed the factory charger that comes with the car is a 1 hour charger but I'm gonna assume that's with the stock battery and a bigger battery will take longer. However if/when I do buy the charger I will like to get one that charges all batteries types because like I said I plan on getting myself a nitro or brushless car and will run a lipo if i get a brushless.*

Since the local hobby shop has the torment in stock but $40 more than online I'm gonna call and see if they will price match or maybe throw in a free bigger battery.*
I would be very careful when comparing prices with the internet. Forty dollars savings in the short run might cost you a bit in the long run. I know that I buy from my LHS because when I'm in trouble they are the first to help me out. Might not have been the case if I dickered with them over forty dollars. This is a great hobby and I want it to be enjoyable, I don't want to treat it like another business transaction. I hope you are still enjoying it!